cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller wants me to cancel my PayPal payment and wants my PayPal information.

Long story short, I won an auction and I paid through PayPal immediately. Payment went through and it shows as paid in my PayPal account. Seller contacts me the next day and he says he will ship the item as soon the gets the payment. I told him that I already paid through PayPal, but he insisted that he can't access the money because his eMail in PayPal is wrong and now wants me to cancel my PayPal payment I made through eBay and wants to get my PayPal information so he can send me a request for money. Scam or legit? Also the seller account is brand new, about a month old and has zero feedback. Seller says that he sold something else to someone else and they were able to cancel their PayPal payment and do it that way, but I can't find any evidence that the seller has ever sold anything else on eBay. Thoughts?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Nope.

If the seller has the wrong email attached to his PayPal account then he needs to fix it instead of continuing to bothering his buyers (and short ebay their fees for the sale and cause you to lose buyer protection).

Him sending you a request for payment might just get him (and you) flagged for taking sales off of ebay. 

I would just tell him to please contact PayPal and ask them to help get his email straightened out. meanwhile be prepared to file an INR if he doesn't ship.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

@pglorenap67 

No, don't do that.

If it's a new seller, their payments will be put oh hold until the item is delivered.

They want you to send the payment to another account so the payment won't be held.

If they won't ship, file an INR after the estimated delivery date.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Nope.

If the seller has the wrong email attached to his PayPal account then he needs to fix it instead of continuing to bothering his buyers (and short ebay their fees for the sale and cause you to lose buyer protection).

Him sending you a request for payment might just get him (and you) flagged for taking sales off of ebay. 

I would just tell him to please contact PayPal and ask them to help get his email straightened out. meanwhile be prepared to file an INR if he doesn't ship.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@pglorenap67,

"I won an auction and I paid through PayPal immediately. Payment went through and it shows as paid in my PayPal account. Seller contacts me the next day and he says he will ship the item as soon the gets the payment. I told him that I already paid through PayPal, but he insisted that he can't access the money because his eMail in PayPal is wrong".

If the Payment status is marked Completed in your Paypal account the seller did receive it.  However, because of PayPal's 21 day hold on all new seller's payments, on the sellers account the payment is marked as Pending.   The hold catches many new seller's by surprise and they do not know what to do to gt the funds released sooner. 

If you want the item, message the seller and tell them to login to their PayPal account, Click on the Help button, then type either "Payment Hold or Why is my Payment on hold" into the topic search box. Then they will get the info needed to send your item and get the funds released sooner.

"Seller says that he sold something else to someone else and they were able to cancel their PayPal payment and do it that way, but I can't find any evidence that the seller has ever sold anything else on eBay. Thoughts?"

The previous buyer canceling the order and paying again through a PayPal send money request, took the transaction off ebay which is why there can no feedback.  The seller may not know it but they are violating ebay's policy for selling off of ebay, thereby negating eBay's Money Back Guarantee policy. 

New sellers often run into issues with their first transactions. 

It's not unusual for new sellers to make dumb requests because they do not to know ebay policies.  So in the future if you are not willing to possibly have to hand hold a new seller though the transaction process, you may want to consider not buying from them.  

You should check the feedback profile of every seller before buying, because many who have a fair number of feedback, may not have any for selling or have not sold anything in more than a year, which causes the Hold to be enforced on transactions. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 4
latest reply