cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller reported me for a bad address to cancel sale and relist for more money.

I accepted a seller's offer on an item and paid for it. Then the seller emailed me, said he wanted more money for it, and reported me to eBay for a bad address to cancel the sale. It was a pickup-only item, so eBay shouldn't have allowed that choice as a cancelation reason. 

Now I can't leave feedback because the "violation" is that my address was bad. Customer service said I should be able to leave feedback and would escalate the issue, but has done nothing.  

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

You can report the seller for using the wrong reason to cancel the order

https://www.ebay.com/help/action?topicid=4022

Even on Local Pick Ups, canceling an order for a problem with the buyers address is allowed.

You'd be surprised how many buyers that live clear across the country choose Local Pickup, because all they see is free, thinking free shipping.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

After you accepted this seller's offer & paid, this seller is not allowed to ask you for more money.

File a bad seller report.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@perthz,

Did the listing state Local pickup only, or was there also a shipping service available?  Does the seller live close enough to you, that a local pickup could be arranged?  If they do not and there was a shipping service given, you messed up, and that's why the seller could claim problem with address, and they would not be violating any ebay policy.

Go to your purchase history, open the listing check the item location,  and then click on the Shipping Returns & Payment tab, to see if a shipping service was offered. 

As @kensgiftshop  wrote some people select Local Pickup by accident. Other's do it on purpose, to try to avoid paying for shipping.

If you chose local pickup by mistake, the seller did nothing wrong and there is nothing to report.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

The listing was local pickup or “will work with your shipper.” And I was preparing for the pickup when the seller messaged me and told me there “was no sale” because he wanted more money after I paid.

Then the “seller” canceled the sale by lying that my address was invalid. The seller also blamed what happened on me and then insulted me via messages.

I reported the seller via phone, bad seller web form, and listing page. I completed the survey. EBay has done nothing, and I cannot leave feedback because the system thinks the “seller” had a valid reason to cancel.

Since this incident, I have seen many people are having trouble with abusive sellers “canceling” sales because they didn’t get the price they wanted.

I’ve been using eBay for almost 25 years and was a huge buyer and seller back in the day. This was a couple thousand dollar sale, and eBay doesn’t even care to help sort it out, so the address strike on my account is removed so I can leave feedback. The seller doesn’t even get a hit for what they did because they lied about my address. And no human at eBay cares to look at it.

EBay has driven away so many great sellers; now they’re throwing away the buyers too. There is nothing I have to buy on eBay, and my purchases were because I enjoy finding things and the browsing experience. But now, just thinking about eBay sours my stomach, and it’ll be a long time (if ever) before I think about dropping hundreds or thousands on a purchase here again.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Your topic recently received replies.

Topic: Seller reported me for a bad address to cancel sale and relist for more money.
Date: 04-22-2023 04:03 PM

Did it solve your problem?

No. The responses were completely worthless, and my problem remains unresolved. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I just found an alternate site for something I've been buying through eBay for years and placed a nice order.

Felt great! 🙂 

Can't imagine why eBay's stock is down 15% in the last year. 

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@perthz wrote:

I just found an alternate site for something I've been buying through eBay for years and placed a nice order.

Felt great! 🙂 

Can't imagine why eBay's stock is down 15% in the last year. 

Even if the seller on @perthz the other site fulfills your order, you still have this failure in the thousands, which is not a cause for celibation, is it?

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Same thing just happened to me, seller lied about bad address then immediately relisted the same item.  I reported him and the item and another item he cancelled on somebody else and relisted.  But your post is sobering.  eBay won't care, and will happily let "bad address" be used against buyers who've received items for years.  Seller hasn't banned me, so I put in bids on the two relisted items.  Let's see if he tries it again.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply