cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller repeatedly listing item they don't have

I've been collecting animation cels.  In October I purchased a cel my wife really wanted.  Seller messaged me to say that the cel has already sold to someone else would I be interested in others.  I wasn't and they refunded my money.

Last week I saw the same cel listed by the same seller for 160% of the original price.

I realized this is fishy but still really want that cel so I bought it again and again the seller has contacted me to say it has already sold and they don't have it.

I'm sure they'll give me another refund so I'm not out anything but I am frustrated and feel like the seller is being sketchy.

Any thing I should do other than avoiding that seller in the future?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Sounds like they are taking loans out and of course repaying you when they get paid maybe by their job.

You pay...they might receive funds in less than 2 days(I have that feature)...and then repay you back. Just a thought. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Leave negative feedback stating the seller claims they do not have the item in stock.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@docbanner,

Have you checked the seller's feedback profile to see if they have experience selling on ebay?  If they have no feedback for selling or have not received selling feedback in over a year they may not be aware of the 21 day hold ebay places on new or returning sellers first few payments. On their account the payment status is marked as Pending. The hold confuses new/returning sellers and many do not know how to deal with it, or what to do to complete the transaction and get the funds released. 

A new or returning seller may have a fair number of feedback and a 100% rating, but for buying only at least in the last year.  Just one reason why you should always check a seller's feedback profile before buying from one.

Unfortunately, if the seller's refund reason was given as the item being out of stock the number of transactions they would need to complete to get the hold removed will be extended.  If find that the seller is new/returning, and they relist it again, you may want to message them and tell them to do a google search for "Payments on hold - ebay".  Doing that would give them the info they need to complete the transaction.

If the seller has recent selling experience and relists the cell again for an even higher price,  use the link below to report the seller. 

On the page that opens use the blue report seller button.

Check,  The seller has violated one of ebay policies, circle

Next page check: The seller doesn't want to complete the sale.

In the text box write:

"I first bought the item (give the item number for the first sale) on Mo/date/yr. and the seller refunded me saying it was out of stock. Then relisted the item for a higher (item number here)  price on Mo/date/yr and I bought it again, and have been told it is out of stock again and will be refunded".

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/working-sellers/report-seller-listing?id=4022

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 4
latest reply