cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller cancels after I paid and relists for higher price

I ordered and paid for an item on an auction yesterday. The seller responded today stating that his auction software applied a discount by mistake and listed the item as in stock by mistake. He cancelled the transaction and refunded my money. Then he immediately relisted the item at a higher price -- showing in stock.

Do I have any recourse against the buyer?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Negative feedback
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@smlouky wrote:

Do I have any recourse against the buyer?

Why would you want recourse against yourself?

The seller took a hit to their account for the cancellation and you get to express your opinion in red.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Sorry, I meant against the seller. When a buyer bids, he enters into a contract to buy the item. When an auction is over and the buyer has paid, I would think the same contract applies. An opinion in red is not rhe same as a violation in a contract.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Do I have any recourse

Other than feedback, no.  The seller breached the contract, but it would rarely pay for you to take it to court, and eBay can't.  The worst eBay will do is give the seller a "serious defect", which judging by how common this practice has become, is not serious enough.  And if the seller selected "buyer requested" as the reason to cancel, he won't even get that.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@smlouky wrote:

When a buyer bids, he enters into a contract to buy the item. When an auction is over and the buyer has paid, I would think the same contract applies. 

Offer,   Acceptance,   Consideration

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I had a seller cancel an item that he said was defective in his message to me, but he selected the reason for the cancellation as "buyer requested cancellation". This isn't true at all. I'm rather annoyed.. Is there a way to complain about this to ebay?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

ebay used to check with buyers before giving sellers a free pass to cancel a transaction; there used to be a tick box asking 'did you request to cancel this transaction?'  and you had the option to say NO.  I don't know why they removed this very useful step.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@smlouky wrote:

I ordered and paid for an item on an auction yesterday. The seller responded today stating that his auction software applied a discount by mistake and listed the item as in stock by mistake. He cancelled the transaction and refunded my money. Then he immediately relisted the item at a higher price -- showing in stock.

Do I have any recourse against the buyer SELLER?

ftfy

Message 9 of 9
latest reply