cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller cancelled my winning bid and refuses to ship or even reply to messages

I had the winning bid but the seller claimed I requested a bid cancellation.  I did not request to cancel. He made that up so he would not have to honor the auction and does not reply to my messages.  To make it worse I cannot provide negative feedback to his account because no sale actually took place because he made up the excuse that I requested to cancel when the truth is he refuses to honor the auction.  Established large seller.  

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You should report the seller here. Select that they've violated eBay policy. That will earn them an account defect. Unfortunately, since payment wasn't made no feedback can be left.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

You should report the seller here. Select that they've violated eBay policy. That will earn them an account defect. Unfortunately, since payment wasn't made no feedback can be left.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@sta_krol wrote:

I had the winning bid but the seller claimed I requested a bid cancellation.  I did not request to cancel. 

Established large seller.  

Not good

Sellers on ebay should radiate trust & integrity !

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

The seller should have automatically gotten a "defect" when s/he cancelled the transaction, but the lie s/he told blamed you and avoided that. "Defects" are the primary tool eBay uses to weed out bad sellers, downgrading the selling status of those who get too many relative to their sales volume (as opposed to having to pay employees to actually investigate to see how likely it was that the seller had a legitimate reason to cancel vs. deliberate policy violations).

Report the lie as previously directed.   I don't know if eBay will do anything about it (give the seller the defect s/he should have gotten if s/he had taken the blame him/herself, keep the cancellation blaming you from counting toward your Open Transaction Limits) but it's relatively easy to do it that way.

You may leave appropriate (calm, factual--if the seller said that x was the reason say "seller said x. . ." so people don't think you are just jumping to conclusions) feedback to warn future buyers/bidders. If the usual links have vanished, go to anyone's Feedback Profile (doesn't matter who, click on the feedback score in parentheses behind the username) then scroll down to below the last comment on that page to find a "Leave feedback" link that doesn't vanish (it brings you to a list of items you can leave feedback for).

Theoretically you could sue the seller for breach of the contract of sale (for the difference between the auction price and what you ended up having to pay for a replacement), but that is almost never practical.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Since the OP never paid I don't think feedback can be left can it?

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@kathiec wrote:

Since the OP never paid I don't think feedback can be left can it?

Yes, s/he can.  Only if it is cancelled for non-payment after 4 days (or possibly if s/he initiated the cancellation in the first hour).  Other OPs where the seller lied about them requesting cancellation have come back and reported success using the alternative links.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply