cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SELLER GETS HIS MERCHANDISE FROM AMAZON???

Hello! I bought a book from an eBay seller for $17, free shipping. Asked for tracking, was told I'd get it, never did. The book arrived today - from Amazon - with a "free gift for you" note inside. I did a search on eBay to see if others had experienced similar and found a question from a buyer who said that he bought something for $17, and that it came from Amazon with a "free gift for you" note. I suspect it was the same book from the same seller.

I'm happy with the book, that isn't an issue, but NOT happy that I didn't get tracking (which would have showed that it was coming from Amazon) and that the sellers' "item location" isn't that of Amazon. He does't even state that a third party is involved. I know that eBay allows third party transactions, drop shipping and all that, and that's fine too. What isn't fine is the lack of transparency.

I called eBay and the rep hemmed and hawed and said, "Well, we are working on third party transactions where the seller doesn't do blah blah blah, but what happened to you is okay with us.", even though my seller did blah blah blah.  If I wanted to buy through Amazon, I'd have DONE that! What next, eBay sellers who have items dropped shipped from Etsy? Be honest about it!

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

You got your item, you are happy with it, what does it matter where it came from?

Sellers get their items from many sources, and are never required to name those sources.

I have received many items sent through Amazon,( dropshipping), and find they arrive faster, and are much better packed than items sent from some individual sellers.

Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

Many sellers have their items at an Amazon warehouse and have Amazon fill their orders.

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

I think some people prefer not to do business with Amazon based on personal principles. Some people don't want to do business with Hobby Lobby or WalMart or buy certain brands of products like Driscoll's (berries) or Bluefin Tuna or Monsanto.

I'm not sure how eBay is ever going to stop this seller technique, but I can understand why some buyers would object. Of course, any used item one buys on eBay could have originally been purchased on Amazon (or Hobby Lobby or WalMart), but I can see how having a package arrive directly from one of those companies is offensive if one has made a conscious decision not to do business with them.

I'm not sure this reasoning applies to the OP, but I think it does apply to other buyers.
Message 4 of 24
latest reply

The seller used his Prime Account..hence, the "gift" receipt...that's not allowed..

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

It sounds like the seller is stealing services from Amazon. I would appreciate it if you would report them to Amazon. If they will steal from Amazon using their Prime account (the gift receipt is a tipoff) they will steal from you.

Not only are they potentially stealing from Amazon they are unfairly competing with other sellers in their category who honestly pay shipping. Sometimes I think this society is going to hell in a handbasket.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

The only issue is IF they are using their prime membership to sell with, it's something that Amazon takes issue with.  Other prime members are paying for their memberships and resent subsidizing anybody's business adventures, however small.  BUT Ebay couldn't care less about the arbitrage aspect .  They get paid fees regardless.

As others have stated, there are  sellers who do use Amazon warehouse to store goods and Amazon does the shipping (fulfillment). Many have had no choice but to sell on different sites to stay afloat, including Amazon.  Selling on eBay has become wa-aay complicated.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

Sorry, it DOES matter. I have a right to know where my item is coming from, even if a third party name isn't disclosed. The item location is supposed to be the actual location. If not, it's a violation of eBay policy.  I didn't get tracking because the seller would have had to send me Amazon tracking, which is a different system from Ebay's. Even without tracking, knowing where an item is coming from is useful in other ways as a buyer. Included with the book was a "this is a free gift for you!" card with contact for AMAZON in case there was a problem with the "free gift", meaning that part of my transaction essentially involves Amazon. Problems have arisen on eBay due to third party involvement and drop shipping and Ebay is starting to take notice. I'm not the only buyer to feel as I do. The book is nice, but there's no reason that sellers can't be honest with buyers in regards to location and third party shipping. THAT was my point, not that I did't get the book, so getting the book doesn't make it okay.

The issue isn't 3rd party shipping, it's a lack of openness on the seller's part. Love how other sellers jump to his "defense"

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

@chinohighcowboys1963 wrote:

You got your item, you are happy with it, what does it matter where it came from?

Sellers get their items from many sources, and are never required to name those sources.

I have received many items sent through Amazon,( dropshipping), and find they arrive faster, and are much better packed than items sent from some individual sellers.

thats not the problem....its Transparency $ Honesty of where the item is coming from...just say dropshiped from Amazon if that is where the item is located. Don't put it is coming from your home town.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Yeah, that’s not true. eBay may not care about stealing from prime, but retail arbitrage dropshipping violates eBay rules. It is a clear selling violation and the OP just needs to complain about the correct rule.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Sellers do not need to provide a tracking #.  Most do, but not required.

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

Really??  You want sellers to say

Dear Buyers, the item you are buying was purchased at a YARD SALE just last year!  The lady was really nice even though she had a rebel flag tattoo and chewed tobacco. I washed it as per eBay instructions.  

Dear Buyers, this dress was purchased from Poshmark but I never wore it.  It's new without tags.  

Dear Buyers, I found these Barbie Dolls I'm selling for $12 at Dollar General!  Go there now and maybe you can buy them for $3 if there's any left........ 

Dear Buyers, My products are dropshipped by World of Products, just so you know I don't buy them until you buy them.

Dear Buyers, Look for your order to be shipped by Amazon, a company I pay to store my items and to package and ship them to my customers.  

Something like that, HUH?    

Well, you can't micro-manage where the item is before it gets to you, or who is packaging it, whether it's the UPS Store or Amazon or the seller, or where the seller is sourcing their products. 

There is a rule though.  You're not supposed to lists items for sale and order it from a retailer (often Amazon or Walmart) once they receive an order from a customer.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@fab_finds4u wrote:

Dear Buyers, Look for your order to be shipped by Amazon, a company I pay to store my items and to package and ship them to my customers.  

You missed where the box had a gift receipt inside.  That means the seller used his PERSONAL Amazon account to purchase and ship the item.  That's a violation of both Amazon and (the updated) Ebay policy.  This seller DID NOT pay fees for storage or shipment and does not have the right to abuse his prime membership to sell.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 13 of 24
latest reply

@lichtpriester,

"I know that eBay allows third party transactions, drop shipping and all that, and that's fine too. What isn't fine is the lack of transparency".

There has never been much transparency when it comes to drop shipping especially, when it comes to item location.  Many sellers who product source items have to have them returned to their address if there is an issue, and they deal with the source after that.  I do not know if it works that way when using Amazon as the source though.

"I'm happy with the book, that isn't an issue, but NOT happy that I didn't get tracking (which would have showed that it was coming from Amazon) and that the sellers' "item location" isn't that of Amazon".

You must have viewed listings that give an item location as. "Many Places, USA"  or other similar non specific locations before.  Those sellers are being truthful, because the nearest product source company's warehouse to them may not have the item sold in stock, so it comes from one that does have the item in stock.

In this case, the seller did use their Prime account, thus the gift certificate. That is a violation of Amazons rules, which you could report to Amazon.   However, sellers using Amazons "Fulfilled By Amazon" (FBA) system, have no idea which fulfillment center the item is being shipped from. They do however, get tracking info from Amazon and they should have uploaded it.

Twice this year items I've bought on eBay, were shipped from Amazon that had item locations given as city & state in the U.S. The first had no acceptance location, and was delivered by a USPS carrier.  The second was accepted at a city in my state, (A new Amazon fulfillment center) and arrived in less than 48 hours.(original item location was Miami, Fl.) However, the ebay tracking info updates lagged by about 20 hours. 

The package was a Prime bubble envelope, but inside was a standard (I guess) amazon receipt with return/replace info and the seller's amazon account name, Not the same type of gift receipt I've received when getting gifts from my sister.

I'm not an Amazon fan, but I am even less a fan of  Chinese sellers, who were the only other sellers of the item on ebay, with 14 to 30+ day EDDs.  

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 14 of 24
latest reply

I am kind of torn on this, if anyone is going to be selling here on eBay and they are going to be purchasing items from third parties basically to resell then I do think on some stuff that should be disclosed upfront mainly for warranty purposes.

There are many companies that will not honor the warranty if an item is purchased from eBay that is not an authorized seller or reseller.

For non-expensive items that pretty much can be purchased anywhere or used merchandise then it's fine not to say where you get the merchandise from unless you choose to or asked.

As far as what the seller did I personally think that is incredibly risky because of Amazon has a hiccup that is totally out of your control on the fact there is no tracking information. Personally I would have purchased the merchandise and have it in stock and then if the item sells ship it myself so I could give the buyer a tracking number.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply