cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refund from Ebay without a tracking number? Inquiring minds wanna know.

If I paid for an item that doesn't show up after 6-7 days, and doesn't have a tracking number of any kind, can Ebay help get a refund anyhow? Or since the seller never provided a tracking number, will there be a problem getting my money back?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

EBay's Money Back Guarantee doesn't require the presence of a tracking number. On the day after the last estimated delivery case you can open an item not received case. If the seller doesn't then provide eBay with a tracking number showing delivery, you'll be refunded.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Look in your purchase history and look at the latest estimated arrival date?  Wait 24 hours after that date and check the purchase history again to see if there is activity now.  No activity and 24 hours have passed, open an item NOT received case.  Follow the prompts.   In 3 days, you go back to the case if no item or tracking #.  If the seller posts the tracking number, he will probably get an extension to allow the item to arrive.

It's possible that the seller shipped it and never posted the tracking # and the item has not been scanned yet.  This is very possible if the item is being shipped media mail or parcel.  It's also possible that the seller is a dropshipper and he does not have the item home and is waiting for it to arrive to him so that he can ship it to you.  FOreign sellers that lie and claim to be in the USA often do this too.  They ship the item from their country to a friend or family member who will then re-ship to the buyer. 

Anyway,  pay attention to the latest estimated arrival date.  That will NOT change.  Go by the date in MY EBAY  and not what it might say today if the seller has more of the same item.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Hi @scuby109 

Without a tracking number ... a seller can't prove that the item is delivered ... so the buyer wins an 'item not received' dispute automatically.

As a buyer, I would wait several days after the estimated delivery date has passed before filing a case ... just to give the seller the benefit of the doubt.  Some new sellers don't know about tracking, and I don't like to penalize them while they're learning.

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Tracking # is irrelevant here.  But your ability to open an INR case would depend on the last estimated delivery date as seen in the listing, wouldn't it?  

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I know sellers don't have to put a tracking number on anything small like a US Stamp,  but without one, they can always say they mailed it regardless. I always put a tracking number on what I sell regardless of the size or how much it sold for. That way the buyer knows it's been mailed. Otherwise, it's the sellers word against the buyer. This particular seller has been on ebay for quite a while now. To me, it's good customer service to always provide a tracking number to assure the buyer the item has been mailed. But some sellers don't seem to care anymore and just do what they do.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

The latest it's supposed to be here is tomorrow the 20th. If it's not here by then, I'll open a case and get my money back. It's a very small amount, but it's the principle of the thing. I always provide tracking regardless...it's just good customer service. Any seller can say they've mailed any item regardless, but without a tracking number, there's no proof of that it's actually been mailed. Talk is cheap..never assume anything about Ebay and some of the sellers on here.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Without a tracking #, yes, a seller can claim the item was mailed, but, unless there is tracking showing the item was actually delivered, the buyer can open and win an item not received case.  So, personally, I am more interested in whether or not the item is delivered than whether it was mailed.  

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I agree...but I'm also interested in when it was mailed so I can keep track on where the item is. If it gets lost in the mail, the seller has to provide a tracking number to USPS so they can see if they can track it down. But I'll get my money back regardless...even though  the amount is under $ 3.00, it's the principle of the matter. Some may say I'm being "petty" but that's ok... 3.00 is  3.00 and I would like the item or the money back. Lesson learned though is not to buy from that particular seller again, or anyone who doesn't provide a tracking number.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

You said you want your $3 back, and I agree.  But did you know if the item had tracking that the retail price for shipping with tracking for the lightest weight package would add $4.75 to $5.25 to item cost and that you would be paying that  instead of the price of a stamp the seller built into the item cost? The PO is reliable and not having tracking saved you around $5. You shouldn't  file a case immediately after the due date. It's an estimate not a guaranteed date and eBay puts the delivery date in the listing not the seller. You should wait a few days past the delivery date to file. You have 30 days. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

You're making the grave mistake of looking at your business model and assuming everyone else should follow it. I'm seeing "I do this..." and "I think this is what constitutes good customer service". And that's great. But that doesn't mean yours is the only way to do business, nor should it. As fab mentioned, there are compelling reasons for a completely honest, ethical, smart businessperson to send a $3 item without tracking. And I'm honestly just vaguely appalled that you would jump to an INR claim as soon as humanly possible just because the seller didn't handle the sale exactly like you would. One can only hope that you'll repay the seller when the item arrives.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@scuby109 wrote:

If I paid for an item that doesn't show up after 6-7 days

Only 6-7 days? Good grief, hold your horses. Depending on the seller's handling time, it may only actually have been in the mail for 3-4 days.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

will there be a problem getting my money back?

@scuby109 

Only if the seller shipped to the local Walgreens instead of to you and provides tracking that shows "delivery" to your zipcode.  For a $3 item, I doubt that will your issue.  If you are worried about ESUS type items, shipped in an eBay "envelope" those are rarely marked "delivered".  

What was the last "estimated" (as in Yes, it is a freaking estimate) delivery date for the product you expecting?  

Thank you for posting. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply