cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reclaiming sales tax collected by eBay

I started a new business and then did a very noob thing - I purchased a bunch of items for resale without realizing I should have been exempt from sales tax. I just submitted all my forms and documentation to eBay to get my exemption, but is there any way I can reclaim the sales taxes I paid before this? I'm in a very high tax state and it's going to add up to a couple thousand dollars, which could really help my little startup. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Once it is in the system with ebay (or any other entity/facilitator) it will be remitted to your state.

I think there is a path to petition the state for sales tax erroneously collected.

For example, in Florida:

To request a tax refund, file an Application for Refund - Sales and Use Tax (Form DR-26S) or Application for Refund - All Other Taxes (Form DR-26). An application form may be completed to request moneys paid into the State Treasury for a tax overpayment, payment when tax was not due, or payment made in error.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

When I buy items to flip, I use the full cost of those items (item price + sales tax) as my basis. I find it much easier than having a reseller's certificate and works out the same when it comes to filing taxes. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I believe you can write it off after the first quarter. If your not filing quarterly then at year end. I would check though just to be sure. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Once it is in the system with ebay (or any other entity/facilitator) it will be remitted to your state.

I think there is a path to petition the state for sales tax erroneously collected.

For example, in Florida:

To request a tax refund, file an Application for Refund - Sales and Use Tax (Form DR-26S) or Application for Refund - All Other Taxes (Form DR-26). An application form may be completed to request moneys paid into the State Treasury for a tax overpayment, payment when tax was not due, or payment made in error.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply