cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received iTunes Gift Card Instead of Item???

I used BIN to purchase a sound mixing board.  Watched the tracking number and right when it showed delivered I checked outside.  No big box, but instead in with my regular mail was an envelope with a $10 gift card send from the seller.  The envelope showed the tracking number from the auction's listing.  I sent a note to the seller, no response  yet.  But is this some strange scam that I've never heard of?  I'm not super savvy with such things but I would suspect that even though the auction shows "delivered" I still have some recourse right?  A little nervous.  Thanks. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Either one would work but I would use Does not match description. Wrong item sent might give an option for replacement, which you do not want. You want a refund.  If you don’t get a return label in 3 business days, click on the Ask eBay to step in button as soon as you see that option available. Print the label and send the card back. After tracking shows it delivered or even attempted to be delivered, call eBay and tell them you want your refund. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

You file an item not as described case, seller will send you a return label through the case, and you have five days to get it in the mail.  When the tracking confirms delivery back to the seller, you get a refund.

Also you might want to familarize yourself with the Buyer Protection Policies, for your protection.

But don't be nervous, you are covered.  Just be sure to file the item not as described.  DON'T file an item not received because the seller will win that since he has delivery confirmation to you.  

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Scroll down to bottom of page and open an "Item Not As Described" in the Resolution Center.  Do not close case until you are refunded. 

Frankly, I would think the seller knows the difference between an iTune Gift Card and a Sound Mixing Board.  Although, it could be a scam if thye seller never replied.

Time to get your money back in a hurry!

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Thanks.  When I click on Resolution Center and Item Not As Described, I get sent to a FAQ thing.  When I click on Return Item next to the purchase in my pruchases, I can choose Return Item, then choose Wrong Item Sent or Item Does Not Match Description or Photos.  Probably Wrong Item Sent?

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Either one would work but I would use Does not match description. Wrong item sent might give an option for replacement, which you do not want. You want a refund.  If you don’t get a return label in 3 business days, click on the Ask eBay to step in button as soon as you see that option available. Print the label and send the card back. After tracking shows it delivered or even attempted to be delivered, call eBay and tell them you want your refund. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

I believe that if it gets to the point where the buyer can escalate the case (aka have eBay step in), then you will likely just receive a refund and won't have to return anything.  And the side benefit to that is that the seller's account gets hit with an uber defect, which could hurt or even kill his ability to sell here.  (Buyers, please use this weapon with care).

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

May or may not be a scam - could have sent the sound board to another buyer and flipped the items.  Either way - the return for refund should be good - even if you have to take a picture or two of the package and gift card before your send it back.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Just wanted to close the loop here and say one last thanks!

So it turns out the seller sent the gift card as an apology for running out of stock on the mixer I bought.  Didn't communicate it to me but refunded my money this morning.  

Very strange but they're a good seller I guess, just a little slow/bad on the communication. 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@stilettorain wrote:

So it turns out the seller sent the gift card as an apology for running out of stock on the mixer I bought.  Didn't communicate it to me but refunded my money this morning.  

Very strange but they're a good seller I guess, just a little slow/bad on the communication. 

Hmm.... The proper way to do it would have been a full cash refund.... Did you check the gift card to make sure it's not empty?

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Oh, I didn't explain it right.  I got a full cash refund AND a $10 iTune gift card for downloads and  whatnot. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@thallidguy wrote:

@stilettorain wrote:

Hmm.... The proper way to do it would have been a full cash refund.... Did you check the gift card to make sure it's not empty?

OP states he WAS refunded this morning and that the gift card was an apology.

So yes, he got a refund, and actually it is immaterial whether the gift card has a balance or not as it was an apology and not part of the original transaction.  It was something extra.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@stilettorain wrote:

They sent that so they didn't get an OOS defect.

But if they refunded you in full without an ebay message to you, they still may get a defect.

Ebay - not happy until every US seller is paying 14%.