cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid for Auction, Seller Refunded money

I bid on an auction yesterday and won.  Then I sent the money via PP.   This morning I have a refund and absolutely no reason.   Can a seller simply refund the money if they don't get high enough bid.  There was no reserve amount and I won the auction with the price it was listed at.   I have been on Ebay for years and this is a new one to me.   I did write to the seller and ask why the refund.  Have no answer yet.

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@qmarker wrote:

I bid on an auction yesterday and won.  Then I sent the money via PP.   This morning I have a refund and absolutely no reason.   Can a seller simply refund the money if they don't get high enough bid.  There was no reserve amount and I won the auction with the price it was listed at.   I have been on Ebay for years and this is a new one to me.   I did write to the seller and ask why the refund.  Have no answer yet.

Thanks

There are several possible explanations, but the seller owes you an explanation no matter why they did it.

If you get a message from eBay stating that the seller cancelled at your request, you can contact eBay to refute that and have the seller's account dinged for the lie.

You can also leave feedback if the seller doesn't come up with a good reason for canceling.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thank you,  I did not get any message of any kind but the refund page says "item not received".   What the heck is that?   Of course it is not received, I bid & paid on it yesterday, refunded today.  It sounds like the seller is trying to be me and say it was never received.   It was originally in my message that it would be arriving next week Wednesday and now it says "not received".     Please tell me how I would grumble to Ebay about this?   I've never had much need for Ebay intervention in all these years but this is unfair.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@qmarker,

Sellers are not supposed to cancel an auction win if they bidding didn't get high enough, but ebay cannot force them to complete the transaction.  That does not mean the seller gets off without penalty though, since they did not give a reason such as Buyer requested cancellation or Problem with address (the only two that do not affect sellers) ebay will give them a defect on their account and probably charge them the final value fees for the sale.

You replied to @releasethekraken_1 ;   "I did not get any message of any kind but the refund page says "item not received".

What refund page?  Was that a note on the PayPal notice of a refund or in an eBay message?  

Did you check the seller's feedback profile before bidding?  They may be new to selling, and have a fair number of feedback and a 100% rating, but it could all be for buying.  If they started the auction at a very low price, that could be a sign of a new or inexperienced seller.  They may also have not sold anything in over a year.  Either way PayPal and eBay would have put a 21 day hold on the payment and the seller would see Pending on both accounts.  There's also a possibility that they just signed up for ebay's Managed Payments and they don't know where their payment is.  Managed payments has been causing sellers a lot of issues. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

When sellers cancel their auction transactions after I have spent my valuable time reviewing their listing and their item, bidding on their item, waiting xx amount of days for their auction to end, and then promptly paying that seller at the end of it for their item, get this feedback from me,

"BUYER'S BEWARE! Seller canceled this auction transaction after I paid because the item sold too low!!!"

along with a big fat red doughnut.

SFS_Raspberry_Frosting_207_xmzkca.jpeg

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

This just happened to me. I did get a response though. They told me that it didn't sell at a high enough price. Then why not set a reserve.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply