cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nonpayment Dispute: How serious is it against a buyer?

Ive looked high and low, and while theres lots of yada-yada, Nothing is clear, I really need specifics please -- 

(1) Is there a set rule as to how many days or how many invoices before a Seller can open a Nonpayment Dispute? 

After eBay's first invoice on the actual day of sale, Ive seen where many sellers send 2 more invoices, day #2 and day #3 - maximum 3 days total before opening a Dispute. 

(A) Is this customary or just random, an arbitrary number set by the Seller?

(B) is it a specific eBay rule?

(2)  Is 4 days a firm rule by eBay for Buyers to pay after Dispute? 

I've read that a buyer has 4 days to pay once a Nonpayment is opened

(A.) Is this arbitrary set by the seller? Or a Firm eBay rule? 

(B.) 4 days exact from Dispute opening?

(C.) or 4 Business Days (M-F only, not incluiding SatSun)

And of course, if they dont pay, then the seller can grouse and grumble and relist.  But the buyer gets a deserved strike.  

(3)  Finally, Buyer 's ability to end the Dispute 

So if the buyer gets the Nonpayment notice and pays Before the 4 days are up:

A.) Is there still a penalty or strike against the buyer because a Dispute was opened?

B.) OR Does eBay treat this 4-day period like a Grace Period - allowing  for human error, emergencies, health issues without penalizing.  Once the buyer pays before the 4-days, then the whole dispute thing goes away??.

THANKS!  Any help and specific definitive answers Reallyy appreciated.

Good Karma to you and yours!

Jean A

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

SOOOO many dishonorable buyers these days... and that's why I queried, because it sure feels like they KNOW they can get away with it... And YES, if a buyer just COMMUNICATES, I will do cartwheels to help them out, if a family emergency, if need to wait to pay due to other unforeseen circumstances, I am HUMAN and totally understand. BUT why don't these deadbeats get it, to communicate?????? Another conundrum...
Message 16 of 28
latest reply

@hafoster

(Those "buyers" are your competitors.)

Unlikely.

@kimberlykolbe  sells unique jewelry pieces and Coach bags of which many thousand are listed on eBay.

It would be a waste of a competitor's time-- even if she had similar products.

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

Yes, thanks, I have established this in my terms, to block those with 2+ strikes. And I always block my bad buyers... I just wish Immediate Payment was a requirement for all sales, without having to specify... I know as a buyer, the moment I find out I won or BIN, I pay Immediately. I fulfill the reciprocity required in a SELLER-BUYER contract... Buyer buys or wins, and are obligated to pay, and once paid, Seller is obligated to send item as described and well packed, so Buyer gets item (for me: in condition I would want to receive it... ) Thanks for your reply and help
Message 18 of 28
latest reply

@7606dennis

I would suggest that a buyer contact the seller before the 4 hours is up if there is an emergency that will keep them from paying on time. 

I would suggest that sensible buyers back their PP accounts with a credit card so that they can complete payments in most emergencies.

I am old and grouchy.

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

I'll just add my 1-1/2 cents for those sellers with multiple quantity listings, which I have, for the most part.  I allow 8 days before the NPB process starts and close after 4 days, all automatic, unless I hear from the buyer.  With MQ listings one does not lose the chance of a sale while waiting for payment, so allowing a longer time is not a problem.

As far as what happens to a repeat NP bidder, other than being blocked by many sellers, not much apparently.  I had a buyer some years ago purchase 8 separate items, over a period of a day or two, and paid for none.

Buyer got 8 UPI strikes and remained an active (probably non-paying) buyer.

Subsequently I made sure to block any buyer with 2 strikes.

List more, sell more. Goodwill that other, uh, stuff.

Feeling sleepy? There's an app for that.
Message 20 of 28
latest reply

The block used to require UIDs filed by two different sellers but that may no longer be the case. I think if a buyer buys a bunch from a single seller at one time and doesn't pay it shouldn't count as multiple unpaid item disputes.

Sellers should use Fixed Price with Immediate Payment Required and not accept offers if non-payment is an issue.

Message 21 of 28
latest reply

@hafoster wrote:

@kimberlykolbe wrote:
All three buyers have 0 or 1 transaction in their history

So frustrating that I lose 6 days of visibility

Mission accomplished. (Those "buyers" are your competitors.)

I've seen this "theroy" written a few times now.... I really doubt that competitors are soooooo worried about your item...and that there aren't many others on ebay and elsewhere to find and buy.....and that they will think it will create a path to them...unless you two have the only two..that may be.

BUT there is simply a lot of people..young , old..who play on line..look..offer..DON"T care about what it all means..they don't know or care to know what it means for an UPI case against them...and what a seller must do.. this is all like a mall or store where they go and pick up stuff and drop stuff here and there as they look --maybe buying something, nothing ...and/or no caring to put it back because the store has to clean up behind them...

the rash of the new world on-line shopping has brought in the messy, **bleep** part of the shopping world.... and I point at no one country or state, but just that computers opened it up...and PHONE have given ANYONE and EVERYONE the nuke ability to click at things..offer to see..and with no real punishment to it.....so sellers suffer this "paperwork" nightmare and the headache of transactions that go nowhere.

Message 22 of 28
latest reply

In the case I cited above, I had been using freebie listings on 3 different IDs and the buyer purchased but did not pay from all of them.

Nowadays on commodity items that I sell on other IDs I use IPR.  But for collectibles and stamps and postcards that buyers may buy several of, no IPR, so they can "add to cart" for combined shipping.  NPBs are rare for my items.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

"they go and pick up stuff and drop stuff here and there"

A real problem in some large stores that they need one or more employess full time reshelving items left here and about.  I think you're right, NPBs are like the folks who do that in stores.

Message 24 of 28
latest reply

@div_style wrote:

I'll just add my 1-1/2 cents for those sellers with multiple quantity listings, which I have, for the most part.  I allow 8 days before the NPB process starts and close after 4 days, all automatic, unless I hear from the buyer.  With MQ listings one does not lose the chance of a sale while waiting for payment, so allowing a longer time is not a problem.

As far as what happens to a repeat NP bidder, other than being blocked by many sellers, not much oapparently.  I had a buyer some years ago purchase 8 separate items, over a period of a day or two, and paid for none.

Buyer got 8 UPI strikes and remained an active (probably non-paying) buyer.

Subsequently I made sure to block any buyer with 2 strikes.

8 days? wow ... that's way insane....you do as you want, but why? 2 days maybe short, but 8 is way too long....unless they have contacted you ..maybe...but why 8?...not 5 or 6 or 7.... and 4 days after...that is a total of 12?  yes i understand multiple listings..but no store would take things off shelves for 12 days...just because someone said oh i might pay for that..or not..... AT least Layaway there is a deposit..... and recovering your FVF...so 12 days huh?...seems like a lot of possible money sitting idle in ebay accounts--not that we are talking HUGE amount I"m sure...but still its your money....and no benefit.

yours is a kinder gentler world, i think 2 days is plenty...emails are easily send for any special time....and all are equal..2 days, then 4....6 days..relist.  they really want it..they can try again and pay in the 2 days.... do i block them? some...not a hard fast rule... 

in the end..they get UPI stikes, but honestly it doesn't matter..rarely matters to any of them...when it does..they figure a way around it... 

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

@div_style

I had a buyer some years ago purchase 8 separate items, over a period of a day or two, and paid for none.

Since all the Strikes came from one seller, I think they only counted as one Strike.

UID strikes age out after 12 months-- as do Seller neg FB, which sorta serves the same purpose.

Did you also have the deadbeat on your Blocked Bidder List? It is my impression that those Blocks do not age out.

We do not know how many Strikes a deadbeat has. Ours may be the only one. The automatic Block has the strongest setting at two within 12 months.  We don't know how many eBay considers 'too many' before closing the deadbeat's account.

The few sellers still using Auctions have an advantage here, since they can monitor their earlier bidders. With last minute snipe bids, of course, they are in the same position as Fixed Price and Buy It Now sellers, who don't know thier buyers until they have bought.

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

@pingpong517

I really doubt that competitors are soooooo worried about your item..

EBay recently claimed that they have 1.1 BILLION listings daily.

8 days? wow ... that's way insane....you do as you want, but why?

Only US based sellers have the luxury of two-day UIDs.

The rest of the world must wait four days plus the same four days for customer response.

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth

Sellers should use Fixed Price with Immediate Payment Required and not accept offers if non-payment is an issue.

It's a simple fix.

Auctions do seem to be more prone to deadbeats as are some categories.

Message 27 of 28
latest reply

"a kinder gentler world"

Well now that may have something to do with my having VERRRRY few NPBs.

Message 28 of 28
latest reply