cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No refund for completely empty package....wth?

I ordered a remote control online. Seller shipped it March 31st and a package was delivered to me on April 3rd via first class mail. Now I say a 'package' because I received an EMPTY envelope with only the receipt inside. It had clearly been torn open by someone or something - NO remote inside.  I ran to catch up with my mailman - as he was still delivering packages to the apartments next door  - I live in an apartment with locked mailboxes - so NO chance of tampering there - and he said he 'just figured it was a picture or something and that's why it was so light'.  Uh-huh.  NO outer packaging from USPS saying ' your item was damaged in transit' - nothing. 

So I contact the post office - and since it shows delivered I have to send pictures of the envelope etc. and they say they'll look into it. Now mind you, it's good Friday, and I'm sure everyone in the post office wants to get home. They get back to me in 20 minutes with a standard 'we're sorry your item was broken in transit' formula email. Tell me to take up with seller. Now I had already contacted the seller- he said to file an item not received claim. So I did that.  No refund or further communication from seller, except to say that he was on the phone with ebay and would 'work this out'. 

I called Ebay myself to explain the situation and they ASSURED me that I would get a 'one time only courtesy refund' because they could clearly see the package had been tampered with.   They just closed the claim today with NO refund and I got a quick email saying 'I don't qualify since the item shows delivered'.   I give up. On top of this, the customer service center I called just the other day seems to no longer be operational and it is now solely for 'fraud' claims - wth? It's just a cheap remote control - but it's the principal of the thing. I've done THOUSANDS of transactions on Ebay over the past two decades and I have 100 percent positive feedback. I'm NOT a scammer. I can't believe the seller didn't just refund me and deal with post office to get his money back. This is just all wrong. I can't prove a negative. I can't return 'thin air' to the man. I sent documentation and photos. What more could I have done here? 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Step back, take a deep breath and now proceed. Your original claim or sort  of claim that you tried to submit through eBay was coded as a item not received claim and was denied by default as the tracking shows that it was delivered. It doesn't matter who you talked to at eBay, it will be an automatic denial. I understand that you didn't received the item, as it must have fallen off or someone tampered with the package, but you did indeed received something, just something that you didn't ordered or wanted.

What you should file is a item not as described claim as that is the more accurate situation that you have. This will prompt a return label to be printed and you just send back what you received, and eBay generates a refund on your behalf. 

The mailman has no idea what happened with your package, the post office much less, as this type of situation is probably deemed as low priority to them. The seller, and I'm just assuming he is doing all this in good faith, was probably hoping that you take the proper channels to submit the claim, rather than him step up and offer the refund, after all, you did not insure the package and now that you suffered a loss you expect compensation.   

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

all you had to do is to use the MBG and you would have won

the MBG does nt say anything at all about calling the usps.

you are not required  to call your seller

all you had  to do was to file an item not as decribed,contacting ebay,the post office and your seller is futile and is not necessary

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@bibliobookscout wrote:

They just closed the claim today with NO refund and I got a quick email saying 'I don't qualify since the item shows delivered'.

It's just a cheap remote control - but it's the principal of the thing. I've done THOUSANDS of transactions on Ebay over the past two decades

I can't prove a negative. I can't return 'thin air' to the man. I sent documentation and photos. What more could I have done here? 

Yes, this time you can, but it isn't any eBay requirement: You have the mail carrier's affirmation saying he 'just figured it was a picture or something and that's why it was so light'. And you can return 'thin air' -- exactly what you received, the torn open 'package' and the receipt inside.

After you lose an item not received case because tracking shows delivered, you can start a return request -- click Return this item:

2zudgv0gadsgbfubdaufbudsobfduoubfd.jpg

Then ciick SHOW MORE and select the "Missing item or parts" reason. Upload the photos, then submit the return request:

2zfuzvbd8gubha0f8hg8a8fugh80d.jpg

After 3 business days @bibliobookscout if you don't have a refund or a prepaid return label, click Ask eBay to step in, and put their money where their mouth said it was.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Thank you so much for that - that's helpful. I just did that - we'll see what happens. Luckily I still have the envelope and enclosed invoice.  Maybe this will make the seller pay up - no way should he keep my money. I mean it's not his fault it got stolen or fell out or whatever happened to it - but i'm not eating the cost for something I never got. I have 100% positive feedback and thousands of transactions on ebay - that ALONE should be proof that i'm not trying to run some scam on them. I'll let you know how it goes. I just assumed the case being closed was the final word - this is helpful. Thank you.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

I don't know what MBG is - as I said - this has never happened to me before - so I didn't now how to proceed. But next time i'll know. Thanks.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

The item WAS INSURED - it was sent FIRST CLASS.  The seller is the one who TOLD me to do what I did. I properly went to him first - rather than just going through ebay - hoping we could reach some solution. And as this has literally never happened to me before - I wasn't sure what type of claim I should file - so I just followed the seller's directions. I have had items never ARRIVE - but I had no clue what to do in this instance. Now i'm hoping this never comes up again - but, if it does, I know better now.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

MBG is eBay's Money Back Guarantee for buyers.  It's seen in every listing and is really quite helpful when a transaction goes wrong if the buyer follows the instructions.

IMHO, ALL buyers, and sellers as well, should read the MBG before they begin buying or selling on eBay.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

If the item was insured someone needs to file a claim with USPS for the value of it.   include for documentation photos of tampered envelope and screen shot of completed eBay listing.  

However first class plus insurance is rarely much cheaper than Priority Mail so this seems unlikely.  The 5th digit of the tracking number will be an 8 if it was indeed insured (this also applies when Priority packages are insured beyond $50).

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Chances are good that the seller didn't even know which one to tell you to do...item not received or not as described. On the surface at first glace, any logical person would pick "item not received", as that appears to be the choice that is closer to your problem. Ebay really should clear up the wording and make it more understandable for consumers. 

The customer service rep was wrong to tell you something that wasn't true. It's happened to me and probably close to 100% of all ebay members. Ebay's CS is absolutely horrible and needs a complete overhaul.

Every buyer now has 100% Feedback...so feedback doesn't really factor into ebay's decision whether to trust you or not. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@bibliobookscout wrote:

Thank you so much for that - that's helpful. I just did that - we'll see what happens. Luckily I still have the envelope and enclosed invoice.  Maybe this will make the seller pay up - no way should he keep my money. I mean it's not his fault it got stolen or fell out or whatever happened to it - but i'm not eating the cost for something I never got. I have 100% positive feedback and thousands of transactions on ebay - that ALONE should be proof that i'm not trying to run some scam on them. I'll let you know how it goes. I just assumed the case being closed was the final word - this is helpful. Thank you.

This could not be further from the truth. Sellers are only allowed to leave positive feedback for buyers so your feedback as a buyer means virtually nothing.

Even if you WERE a scammer, cheated a seller, and the seller wrote positive feedback saying "SCAMMER!" you could just call ebay and have it removed since it violates feedback policy.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@bibliobookscout wrote:

I don't know what MBG is - as I said - this has never happened to me before - so I didn't now how to proceed. But next time i'll know. Thanks.

You may want to read here:

https://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Your 100% feedback means nothing in the case.  You need to file a return request using the appropriate NAD reason and the seller is required to pay the return shipping if they want the empty box back.  Do not file an INR dispute as you will lose it since tracking shows that something was delivered.

Please review the terms of the MBG and you should have no problem if you follow the correct procedure.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@magicjohnsonsvariety wrote:

The customer service rep was wrong to tell you something that wasn't true. It's happened to me and probably close to 100% of all ebay members. Ebay's CS is absolutely horrible and needs a complete overhaul.

That is exactly why is it best to use the chat and speak to a live agent. After the chat is finished you will receive a transcript of the entire conversation. I NEVER speak to an ebay rep on the phone.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply