cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Scrolling Categories at top of Watch List- Anybody Seeing This??

Oh my stars!!

This "new feature" is annoying!!  I'm not liking it at all. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Glad it helped.

If I ever do use watchlists I have the rule in place now 🙂

And always remember: if something breaks or looks wonky, you need to disable those rules and see if it's you or eBay causing the problem.

As far as coding expertise..... "Me push buttons. Stuff happens!"

• I use Firebug (older versions 'cause they present CSS path better).
  • right click on offending item, "inspect with Firebug" on context menu
  • look at structure and figure out what is going on
  • right click and "copy CSS path"
  • hit alt-ctrl-shift-R to run an Autohotkey script macro that reformats the copied css path with > chaining punctuation so I don't have to do it manually
  • open appropriate Stylish general ruleset file window with a couple of clicks
  • find appropriate domain or functional subsection in the hundreds of lines with search
  • paste in reformatted CSS path
  • edit path down and reformat more manually
  • add CSS actions to apply if was not added to an existing set of actions (like display: none, color:red, float:right, font-size:130%, etc)
  • hit preview button to test
  • repeat editing of CSS path and actions, add more selectors and actions, etc as needed until correct result obtained
  • save and done

I normally do the above and mostly use Stylish to do these things, but if pretty global, simple, and just a "disappear something" will use Adblock Plus element hiding rule approach. When posting as I did here, I usually develop the rule in stylish then copy/paste the reformatted rule in Adblock Plus to test there and then here in a post. (in this particular case it was quite simple and the offending item was nicely contained in a well defined div element - just did a straight Adblock approach.)

There is/was a Stylish Element Hiding Helper addon that shortcut some of the manual methods I use to create Stylish rules that some people use/used too. (I think I didn't use it because it didn't work in my older, primary Firefox v3.6.24 browser and I'm set in my ways.)

In some cases using a Windows HOSTS file to just block a domain or subdomain can be an approach, but is somewhat a nuclear option.

If the above doesn't work or isn't possible with CSS, then it escalates to writing javascript routines and using GreaseMonkey addon to run them in Firefox. Such as re-enabling the built in Firefox speelchecker in the forums that I posted about last night in Community Platform Feedback. That required a couple of lines of very simple javascript since changing or removing element attributes isn't an Adblock element hiding rule capability (has to implemented using Greasemonkey).

I often see posts here about other popups and annoyances, and would be happy to help with those too, but I mostly just don't see them using FF3.6.24. Dropping all the layers of armor or anything else I can do usually does nothing to make them appear (HOSTS blocking, Noscript, Stylish, GreaseMonkey, webproxy, often even using newer/newestish browsers, etc), and therefore can't see what needs to be done to fix/destroy the annoyance for the poster.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 7 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Agreed. HATE this!!

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@pikabo-icu,

It does not happen in all categories, and fortunately the categories I shop in, do not have that feature. Since I stopped buying clothing on ebay a long time back, I'll hopefully never see that annoying scroll.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@pikabo-icu,

It does not happen in all categories, and fortunately the categories I shop in, do not have that feature. Since I stopped buying clothing on ebay a long time back, I'll hopefully never see that annoying scroll.

Thanks Mud...     AAAthumbup.gif

This new "feature" is bugging the pajeeze outta me..

It's making me avoid my watchlist.. I mean really, I KNOW what cats are there- I put 'em there! DOPE!

I used the "tell us what you think" link- fat lotta good it does.. 

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

If it isn't needed for navigation or other functionality, then disappear it in Firefox with AdblockPlus (or similar in other browsers).

I don't use watch lists, or collections, or followings, or any of that so have no content there and don't see the beastie, but from the screenshot it looks like a simple targeted element hiding rule would send it back to the depths of h*ll.

Argghhhh. Guessing is pointless, so I'll add something to a watch list and see if it will magically appear. Have to disable other filters that disappear the watchlist buttons on item pages first.....

Ok. I see it now. Targeting......

ebay.com##div#my-ebay>div#mainContent>div#main-content>div#watchlist.my-container.item-list>div.ajax-wrap>div[class^='category-carousel']

Nuke.It.From.Orbit.133235985845.320x190.jpg

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@berserkerplanet

Thank YOU!!!!!   

I appreciate your suffering through adding to the list to figure this out!!!

Many thanks... 

SmielyBow-1.gif  I bow to your coding expertise. 

~Pika~

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Glad it helped.

If I ever do use watchlists I have the rule in place now 🙂

And always remember: if something breaks or looks wonky, you need to disable those rules and see if it's you or eBay causing the problem.

As far as coding expertise..... "Me push buttons. Stuff happens!"

• I use Firebug (older versions 'cause they present CSS path better).
  • right click on offending item, "inspect with Firebug" on context menu
  • look at structure and figure out what is going on
  • right click and "copy CSS path"
  • hit alt-ctrl-shift-R to run an Autohotkey script macro that reformats the copied css path with > chaining punctuation so I don't have to do it manually
  • open appropriate Stylish general ruleset file window with a couple of clicks
  • find appropriate domain or functional subsection in the hundreds of lines with search
  • paste in reformatted CSS path
  • edit path down and reformat more manually
  • add CSS actions to apply if was not added to an existing set of actions (like display: none, color:red, float:right, font-size:130%, etc)
  • hit preview button to test
  • repeat editing of CSS path and actions, add more selectors and actions, etc as needed until correct result obtained
  • save and done

I normally do the above and mostly use Stylish to do these things, but if pretty global, simple, and just a "disappear something" will use Adblock Plus element hiding rule approach. When posting as I did here, I usually develop the rule in stylish then copy/paste the reformatted rule in Adblock Plus to test there and then here in a post. (in this particular case it was quite simple and the offending item was nicely contained in a well defined div element - just did a straight Adblock approach.)

There is/was a Stylish Element Hiding Helper addon that shortcut some of the manual methods I use to create Stylish rules that some people use/used too. (I think I didn't use it because it didn't work in my older, primary Firefox v3.6.24 browser and I'm set in my ways.)

In some cases using a Windows HOSTS file to just block a domain or subdomain can be an approach, but is somewhat a nuclear option.

If the above doesn't work or isn't possible with CSS, then it escalates to writing javascript routines and using GreaseMonkey addon to run them in Firefox. Such as re-enabling the built in Firefox speelchecker in the forums that I posted about last night in Community Platform Feedback. That required a couple of lines of very simple javascript since changing or removing element attributes isn't an Adblock element hiding rule capability (has to implemented using Greasemonkey).

I often see posts here about other popups and annoyances, and would be happy to help with those too, but I mostly just don't see them using FF3.6.24. Dropping all the layers of armor or anything else I can do usually does nothing to make them appear (HOSTS blocking, Noscript, Stylish, GreaseMonkey, webproxy, often even using newer/newestish browsers, etc), and therefore can't see what needs to be done to fix/destroy the annoyance for the poster.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

One last note. I tend to use nearly complete CSS paths and construct selectors with child combinators (>) to prevent false positive matches as seen above in the Adblock rule in the code box.

That is done to prevent also accidentally disapearing something else one might not want to disappear.

Especially important consideration when implementing as an element hiding rule in Adblock Plus which only permits domain level target specificity (ebay.com) instead of the page level specificity [@moz-document url-prefix ('https://www.ebay.com/myb/WatchList?')] possible with the Stylish general CSS rule approach.

The downside of the above Stylish specificity is that it will fail to match a watchlist page if there is a different link to it. Upside is any rule associated with that domain specifier will never trigger on any other page and inadvertantly modify or disappear the wrong content (wouldn't want to accidentally disappear free listing promo blocks on All Selling page with a weak selector that matches those promos and the watchlist carousel)

Detailed strong selectors and domain specificity (when possible) minimize false positives, but at a cost. The cost is rule failure when ebay changes the slightest little thing on the page.

For example, if the eBay coders wrapped the part of the watchlist page containing the carousel in another div element, or changed the class on one of the parent elements, the Adblock Plus rule above will fail. That's the tradeoff.

The point of that? If the rule stops working, look to see if eBay changed something (or ask if you need help)
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

Thank you so much..

It's a relief to have that annoying scroller gone!

I understood about half of that LOL but if I read it real slow, I can wing it..Smiley Tongue  Many moons ago I was into coding.. I created a couple Proboards (back when it was mostly 3rd party coding) and I did some creating for 3-D chat sites..

But alas having been away from it for about 8 years it's mostly a jumbled mess.. 

I'll be bookmarking this page so don't be surprised if I have to Ping you again someday!!  **grins**

Thanks a million.. CHEERS

~Pika~

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

ANNOYING is an understatement!  I have tried to like it and use it but it:

1. takes up too much space on my screen

2. MAIN problem- it slooows page load-up and pictures will not load

3. Just put the compare feature back on and let me choose what and how many

4. Shrink it down to a sub menu or JUST GET IT GONE!!!

I do NOT want to be EBays beta tester......but, I guess, they know me to hit the feedback and sound off!

I am unable to find the cookie that operates it. Any geeks know what it might be so we can delete it?

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

It happens in any and all catergories... I have no clothing "watched" so that is not the trigger.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Ahhh, an easy fix:

If you are using uBlockOrigen ad blocker on Firefox, right click the icon while on your watch list - click on the lightening bolt or element zapper and when the screen goes darker, move the cursor to light up the whole offending category scroll feature and click! Category carousel scrolling banner is gone!

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

EEEE! That did not stay "fixed" so , go the watch list, in uBlockorigen click on element picker and again light up the whole feature, click and when "boxed" right click and in the menu, click delete element, if another box appears, click create and it stayed gone this time.
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

@riobobkat

Both Fair Ad Blocker & AdBlock Plus work to fix it- FOR GOOD!

Both free BTW Smiley Wink

~Pika~

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

More **bleep** to scroll through to move down the page -- I hate it!
Option to get rid of it would be nice, eBay
Message 15 of 18
latest reply