cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Morgan Dollar Fakes Part Two.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I posted the first story to bring attention to the fact that a great number of Ebay seller's are liar's knowingly selling fake items. Or making up stories in the item description that are simply not true. Three years ago when I started this coin hobbie I didn't know much about counterfeit Morgan dollars, well times has changed. Today you can find seller's attempting to sell a Lincoln cent saying it is rare with no mint mark and asking $400 dollars for it. When looked up in the Red book....not rare it's worth one cent. Notice most of such sellers have no feedback or prior sales. Again back to Morgan dollars, we have a seller who is useing 3M diamond cloth to polish worn out Morgan dollars and claiming they are uncirculated, asking hundreads of dollars for what is only worth it's melt value.  As to the Ebay community I do not need advice on making sure seller's have a return policy, or subjects that have nothing to do with what I posted.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Buyers have to know what they are buying. Does not matter what the item is. 

There are no rules on what you can try to get for a coin.   Just look at the ads on TV for " collectable " coins.  They sell them with a strict limit of five per order.  They are the muddiest coins I have ever seen with a few grams of gold plating.  But then you do get a collectors display box with them.

There can be some great buys here or you can get your clock cleaned.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

One can adhere to the eBay Community...but don't knock the eBay community here.

I remember your last post.

Advice was free here by the way...you can read it or not.

Some of us here are actually giving free options which can help many.

We do it in our spare time.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@Anonymous,

"Today you can find seller's attempting to sell a Lincoln cent saying it is rare with no mint mark and asking $400 dollars for it...  Notice most of such sellers have no feedback or prior sales".

Often new or inexperienced sellers listing items in collectible categories, have no idea of what the value is, of things they are selling. Some may do a quick search or look up things on worthpoint, find one sold for a high price, and think their item is also worth that much.   At least you know enough to check seller's feedback profiles, before buying from one.  When buying collectibles that can be even more important.  You should only buy from sellers who have experience selling the item(s) they have listed. 

"As to the Ebay community I do not need advice on making sure seller's have a return policy, or subjects that have nothing to do with what I posted".

You can eschew any or all advice you are given on these boards. However, do keep in mind that someone else reading replies in a topic may benefit from the advice we impart. We do not post replies, just for the author's benefit.  So far 50 other people have read this topic, and 65 have read the previous one. Maybe a few learned something from the replies they didn't know before.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@Anonymous 

< a Lincoln cent saying it is rare with no mint mark >    

Coins made at the Philadelphia mint aren't stamped with a mint mark anyway.  

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

This is why i always say do Not buy uncertified coins online anywhere. When you buy certified coins you can check the certification number before you bid or buy. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I have been reporting the obvious fake morgans being sold on e-bay and they sent me a threatening e-mail to stop. they do not have any knowledge about the coins from china!!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply