cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a big and tall guy rant... XL/TG != XLT

Okay sellers, I know you want to move some product, but can you at least list your items properly? I constantly search for the size "XLT" because I am a tall guy and that size usually fits me best in most brands (looking at you Ralph Lauren Polo) and I consistanly run across mis-categorized items all the time. 

I get that most of you aren't retail gurus and just find clothes at second-hand and thrift stores that you try to pass off as "new with tags", but can you at least learn one thing? The size "XL/TG" is *NOT* a tall size. It is not the same as "XLT" - its not even close.  "XL/TG" means "Extra Large/Tres Grande", "Tres Grande" being "Extra Large" in spanish, or so I've read. Which doesn't make sense to me because "Tres" is "three" in spanish... so "Three Large" is what it translates to? Anyway... 

So unless the tag says "XLT" or "XLT/TGL" (TGL being Tres Grande Largo?), please refrain from listing it as an "XLT" or calling it "TALL" or listing it with the "BIG & TALL" tag. You'll create a better browsing experience for all the buyers and save yourself the headache of a "not as described" return later on. 

THANKS!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

You would be true in what you say if buyers actually Browsed, the amount who simply look at pictures and read absolutely nothing in the description you would not believe, personally i include the size and actual measurements with any tops i have as any brand will differ even if the label size is the same, the amount of times a buyer will say Medium fits like a Large and so on, Measurements were there you didn't read them.

Simple reply, What size is Large then ?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@sunshinejax2014 wrote: ... The size "XL/TG" is *NOT* a tall size. It is not the same as "XLT" - its not even close.  "XL/TG" means "Extra Large/Tres Grande" ...

Tres Grande is French for "Very large."  Manufacturers who want to sell their products throughout Canada will provide labeling in French due to legal requirements for selling in Quebec.

To cope with sellers who mistakenly think it means big & tall, maybe you could set up your searches to exclude TG.  Just put -tg as one of the terms in your search box.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@sunshinejax2014,

"The size "XL/TG" is *NOT* a tall size. It is not the same as "XLT" - its not even close. "XL/TG" means "Extra Large/Tres Grande", "Tres Grande" being "Extra Large" in spanish, or so I've read".

Try translating it into French, it comes out  très grande, but most sellers listing items do not have a keyboard or symbols program for writing in French with accents to place over the "e".  If an item Has TGL from a European Mfr. or seller, it to is likely French for Long (masculine form) or Longue (Feminine form).

I do not buy many clothing items on ebay, but when shopping always look for tape measures in photos or written out measurements. If they are not on a listing I'll message the seller.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

While that could be useful, I tend to seach with the options on the left... so when I choose the "XLT" button on the left... it gives me whatever results from sellers that put "XLT" in their size property - which a lot of times is wrong. 

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I have a similar issue with sellers listing women’s sizes 14 and 16 as plus size. Plus sized clothes have a W (14w) and are cut differently.

i refuse to buy from those sellers.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I couldn't agree more. I am only a LT but I have the same problem. Too many times in the past year I have gotten items that were marked as tall but were not. Three shirts in a row, from different sellers to be honest! I would have been better of paying full retail price. Other times the items were way too small! For this reason, I am not looking for shirts much on Ebay whereas it was something I did on a weekly basis.
Note to sellers: Take a photo of the tag inside the shirt, so we can clearly see how it is marked for size. That gives us assurance that you are selling us the right size.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

IF only that were the practice with most sellers. It seems many, if not most, do not put that much thought into it.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thanks ! 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply