cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item shows location as Oregon, USA in auction. Ships from New Jersey. Seller in Russia?

I have seen that this issue has been discussed many times in various forums, but honestly it's the first time I've dealt with it personally. How the heck is it that Ebay allows foreign (To the USA) sellers run auctions where the seller is disguised in the auction as being in the USA?

As a consumer, or at least as it used to be in this country, I have enjoyed certain protections from false advertising that seem to have disappeared. In my case, and as the title says, the auction shows the item being in the USA, Oregon specifically.  Well, when I check on shipping the item is shown as being in the possession of the shipper in New Jersey!  The reason that irritates me the most is that I generally don't buy from people in New York, New Jersey, or Florida. My reasons are mine, and the item's location, as well as the seller's location is a material fact to me.  It is my right to shy away buying from states where I have had my few bad buying experiences. But I need to have the truth up front.

As a general rule I do my item searches to stay with sellers that are in North America. It's nice that this is a search parameter. While it is possible that I didn't do that on this item, it would be unusual. So either this item, that I did purchase, showed up under a search that should have only included North American sellers it was an oversight on my part. It's not hard to do considering Ebay conveniently places non-North American sellers right below the North American sellers separated by a small line of demarcation. Hey Ebay, when I search North America only, that's all I want to see! I don't want to reconsider, thank you.

There are so many things that Ebay covers up, pushes off feedback pages, etc., that end up hiding material information from buyers that it's getting ridiculous to deal with sellers over Ebay.  For one, Ebay should show negative and neutral feedback beyond one year. Sometimes that's where a buyer might find information that's important, actually instrumental/material, in their making a purchase decision. A beyond the first 5 pages check of the feedback of this particular seller's feedback shows that more than a year ago a buyer had an issue with this seller and noted that they were surprised that the seller was located in the Russian Federation. I too was surprised when I just verified this. And I can tell you that no matter how this transaction turns out, I'm hoping what I see as source obfuscation ends up the only dinger, that I would not buy what I bought from a seller in the Russian Federation in order to save $15 on an item.

I have now learned that regardless of what shows up on the actual auction page for the sellers', and/or items',  locations, I must go beyond their feedback to see where they are actually located. Real truth in advertising would show this on the main auction page. Or maybe have an asterisk that points to a footnote about the actual location if different than shown elsewhere on the page?

Anything would be better than what it is. Fingers crossed that seller is as good as their recent feedback numbers show. Time will tell.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Item shows location as Oregon, USA in auction. Ships from New Jersey. Seller in Russia?

@kingofthewind - As you wrote, you have your reasons for your standards on who you chose to purchase from. You have that right, and I'm not going to touch that any further. However I fully disagree with you saying eBay should make neg and neutral FB visible beyond one year. 

People can be very difficult to please for the most insignificant reasons. People will leave FB based on how they are feeling that particular day, rather then on the actual transaction. People leave FB for the wrong seller, happens multiple times. Sellers are people too and they can made a mistake once in a while that they learn from, and can avoid in the future. So making those FB stay in place longer than a year is like branding a scarlet letter on a seller for a one time occurrence. 

As a buyer, you have to do your due diligence in researching, especially when you are THIS particular about who you purchase from. In this case you found your answer, albeit after your purchase, but it was there as you mentioned. Best of luck to you.... 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Many companies for years registered and maintained offices in Oregon to take advantage of that states no sales tax laws when purchasing things.  However, I'm not sure how that would be an advantage to a Russian seller shipping from New Jersey.  Of course, it is your location that would matter with regard to sales tax. 

Naturally, since eBay requires that an accurate item location be given, this seller appears to be violating eBay policy if he didn't have the correct item location in the listing on the payment & shipping tab.

I'm somewhat curious as to why you like to buy from sellers located in New York, New Jersey and Florida.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

the auction shows the item being in the USA, Oregon specifically. Well, when I check on shipping the item is shown as being in the possession of the shipper in New Jersey!

The purchase can be returned with a Not As Described dispute because the location of the goods is misrepresented.

However, a member from Russia may well be living in Oregon and have his products stored in New Jersey.

He should be giving the location as New Jersey, because it can make a difference in delivery times.

Every now and then I find one of my older listings shows the location as Ottawa, while I moved to Victoria over five years ago. Stuff happens.

That the seller at one time lived in Russia is irrelevant. People immigrate. Diplomats get reassigned. Students are accepted at an overseas university.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply