cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a new way to get more money after you sell item?

Bought a book from a seller with 100 feed back so didnt think twice about it. Then I get message saying they are losing money on shipping giving me a long story about being disabled etc which I feel for them because I am also disabled and sell a bit on ebay to make a bit of money but not as much as this seller.Then says would like me to pay more. I do not want to pay more I told them I can get it cheaper elsewhere. Told them to either send it or refund well its been 6 days and I tried yesterday to message them asking if they were going to send it since Informed delivery is saying it only had a label created and not sent to USPS yet. And that message got no reply and sent another today saying all the same if you do not want to send it give refund. I do not want them giving me bad feedback since I just started selling and dont have even 300 feed back yet but they do. But I cant just let them keep my money. 

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

They aren't allowed to ask for more money and you don't have to pay more than the listing called for. 

Tell the seller they're required to ship for the amount they advertised and you will not pay any more. 

If the seller cancels, issues a refund and chooses a reason that blames you, report the seller. 

Note that the seller CANNOT leave negative feedback.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

They can't just keep your money, and they can't give you bad feedback.   Stop sending messages; they clearly aren't helping. Once in a while a package has actually been shipped but doesn't get scans along the way, so it's possible that your package has been shipped.  

If the package hasn't arrived by the latest estimated delivery date, file a claim for "Item not received."  Here's a link to eBay's buyer protection  policy, which they call the "Money Back Guarantee":

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

After the transaction is complete, and you have received either your item or your refund, you can  leave feedback which calmly explains your experience.

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

More like a great way to get banned from selling on eBay.   Sellers are not allowed to do that and you can report that.    Their efforts would be better spent on a pricing model that does not lose them money.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Is it possible it is being sent ordinary "media mail" USPS ...I haven't done it before. And there is no tracking so it could be on the way. Maybe others here can know more about if media mail has tracking.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

All USPS package postage, including Media Mail, automatically includes tracking at no additional cost.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I wasn't sure. Thanks.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

well maybe that is it I paid almost $5 for economy shipping that is only option she gave and I have a tracking number. USPS states they did not received package yet. I am just learning the ins and outs of the shipping and had to eat some money because I did not do it right. But I am new to selling. Well it has a week more and if not here thanks I will do just that and item not received. Still have not got an answer. 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

well the messages worked its shipped I did not get an answer just got notice it was accepted at USPS

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Biggest mistake some sellers can make is guessing what the weight of an item is, or the size of the packaging.

I did that today.  Well I should say I did that about 3 months ago, when I first listed a particular item.

It sold today, but when it was finally boxed and weighed, I was off by over a lb, and the box dimensions put it into a higher bracket.  In short, I would have ended up with negative money on the sale.

So I reviewed things.  Figured out I could shorten the box by only 2 inches, and went from taking a hit to making a bit of profit above the sale instead. Not much, but I will take a win sometimes to cover the ones I lose on.

But its very easy for a seller to make this mistake, especially on lower cost items.  I spent a lot of time researching costs for shipping small hard drives, and still don't know how some sellers can sell them lower than I do.  They must be tossing them into a cardboard mailer or something.

But I agree with everyone else.  Stop messaging the seller, wait the time for it to arrive to come and go, and then file an INR case to get your money back.  In no way should a seller be doing this.

Good luck!

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 10 of 10
latest reply