cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was disappointed to learn today that I cannot leave negative feedback after 60 days.

Ebay works largely because the ability to provide negative feedback keeps sellers honest. Unfortunately, feedback is only allowed within 60 days. This arbitrary time limit can prevent buyers from leaving honest feedback and the feedback window should be significantly lengthened, in my opinion.

Consider a recent Nikon camera lens purchase I made. The lens was described as "Excellent ++." Cosmetically, it looked good when I received it. Unfortunately, it did not autofocus. I could have immediately left negative feedback, but out of a desire to be fair I chose to wait. I knew I would be purchasing a new camera and would have an opportunity to see if the apparent problem with the lens was really a camera issue. Unfortunately, the lens failed on my new camera and I had to purchase another to take with me on an extended vacation. Today, when I went to leave feedback on the dysfunctional lens, I learned my feedback window had closed. The seller still has a perfect rating because I wanted to be fair and chose not to express my anger when the lens initially failed. This means all of you eBay buyers are being misled to some extent regarding the seller. I don't know how often this happens, but I doubt I'm the first eBay buyer that has been prevented from leaving valid feedback by the capricious time limit eBay places on feedback.

What do you think of the 60-day policy???  

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

I was disappointed to learn today that I cannot leave negative feedback after 60 days.

Have you filed a claim for a refund through PayPal?
I think 60 days is way too long. In fact, I'm pretty sure FB is on its way out.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 2 of 43
latest reply

If you wanted to be fair, you would have contacted the seller first instead of just rushing to condemn them. 60 days is more than enough time.

=================================================

Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either.

Albert Einstein
Message 3 of 43
latest reply

@brian_42 wrote:

Ebay works largely because the ability to provide negative feedback keeps sellers honest.

That is so wrong. eBay works because buyers looking to find the unique, one off, discounted or hard to find items are matched with sellers who provide those things. 60 days is ample time to find out if an item you bought did not function like you wanted it to. I can't imagine waiting longer than 60 days to see if something worked or not. Had I been in your shoes, I would have returned it immediately, then bought another lens when I bought the camera.

There are tradeoffs to buying online and at a discount. I'm sure that lens would have cost you a bit more money had you bought it in a camera store along with the camera you were going to use it with.

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

@brian_42 wrote:

Ebay works largely because the ability to provide negative feedback keeps sellers honest. Unfortunately, feedback is only allowed within 60 days. This arbitrary time limit can prevent buyers from leaving honest feedback and the feedback window should be significantly lengthened, in my opinion.

Consider a recent Nikon camera lens purchase I made. The lens was described as "Excellent ++." Cosmetically, it looked good when I received it. Unfortunately, it did not autofocus. I could have immediately left negative feedback, but out of a desire to be fair I chose to wait. I knew I would be purchasing a new camera and would have an opportunity to see if the apparent problem with the lens was really a camera issue. Unfortunately, the lens failed on my new camera and I had to purchase another to take with me on an extended vacation. Today, when I went to leave feedback on the dysfunctional lens, I learned my feedback window had closed. The seller still has a perfect rating because I wanted to be fair and chose not to express my anger when the lens initially failed. This means all of you eBay buyers are being misled to some extent regarding the seller. I don't know how often this happens, but I doubt I'm the first eBay buyer that has been prevented from leaving valid feedback by the capricious time limit eBay places on feedback.

What do you think of the 60-day policy???  

I think that 60 days is more than enough time, 30 days would be better, to leave FB and your extended vacation is your issue.  Rather than worry about being able to leave negative FB for the seller who may not have even realized there was an issue with it, why don't you concentrate on getting your money back.  You have 180 days (about 120 days too long) to file a case with Paypal and return the unit for your money back.

Message 5 of 43
latest reply

"You would have contacted the seller first instead of just rushing to condemn them." Did you read my post? I didn't get my feedback in because I didn't rush! I chose to experiment with the lens to make sure I had a valid complaint.

Message 6 of 43
latest reply

@brian_42 wrote:

"You would have contacted the seller first instead of just rushing to condemn them." Did you read my post? I didn't get my feedback in because I didn't rush! I chose to experiment with the lens to make sure I had a valid complaint.

As another poster asked .............did you at any stage contact the seller in order to resolve the issue ?

Message 7 of 43
latest reply

"60 days is ample time to find out if an item you bought did not function like you wanted it to." I appreciate your feedback and respect your opinion, but I disagree. Sixty days is certainly long enough to inspect a ring, book, baseball card, or jacket. It may not be long enough, however, to evaluate a mechanically complicated device or seasonal item. Why not make it 180 days? A person who will leave fair feedback within 60 days will leave fair feedback in 90, 120, or 180 days.

With respect to buyers like me, I think eBay only works when buyers have confidence in the honesty of sellers. I purchase some expensive equipment. Getting burned makes me shy and knowing the ability to leave negative feedback is limited only makes me more hesitant to buy again - and this isn't good for honest sellers.   

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

Your post reminds me of a buyer that was here complaining about the very same thing except it was about some boots.

He wore them daily for his barn and field work and after about 3 months or so, wearing them normally (i.e. in muck, rain, snow, dirt, stepped on a couple of times by a cow, etc) he felt they weren't holding up as well as he thought they should. He was really upset that he couldn't leave negative feedback for the seller.

Unfortunately, it did not autofocus. I could have immediately left negative feedback, but out of a desire to be fair I chose to wait. I knew I would be purchasing a new camera and would have an opportunity to see if the apparent problem with the lens was really a camera issue.

You made the decision to wait.  That was an unwise decision, in my opinion. You should have addressed the problem then and there.  And not via feedback, but through dialog with the seller, possibly leading, if necessary , to a Buyer Protection case.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 9 of 43
latest reply

"Tthe seller who may not have even realized there was an issue." The seller sold an item with a motor and moving parts and had an obligation to test it out before listing it as "excellent++" and "no mechanical problems." At any rate, I am not trying to hammer the seller. I am questioning the 60-day policy in this forum. It strikes me as arbitrary and too short to evaluate some items. If you disagree, that's fine.

By the way, I have never left negative feedback in the 10 or so years that I've been buying on eBay. I'm just disappointed that now, when a neutral or negative is warranted, I can't. This means other buyers are prevented from knowing that this seller fails in his due diligence and is comfortable sticking you, me, and others with the trouble of generating a return.   

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

At any rate, I am not trying to hammer the seller.

C'mon. That's not true. This is all about how you want to leave negative feedback for the seller over 60 days after the sale.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 11 of 43
latest reply

It seems clear from the feedback I'm receiving that the 60-day policy isn't a problem for those in this forum. I accept the verdict, so to speak. I am, however, puzzled by your comparison. Modern lenses are nothing like boots. They are mechanically, optically, and electronically complicated items. When they fail, it can take some time to diagnose the problem. That's why they are expensive to have repaired. Also note, I did not use the lens beyond testing it and didn't subject it to rain, mud, or harsh handling. In a barnyard or anywhere else.

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

"C'mon. That's not true. This is all about how you want to leave negative feedback for the seller over 60 days after the sale."

I suppose I can understand your cynicism, but it is absolutely true. I'm not after the seller, I came in here simply to question the policy. 

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

@brian_42 wrote:

"60 days is ample time to find out if an item you bought did not function like you wanted it to." I appreciate your feedback and respect your opinion, but I disagree. Sixty days is certainly long enough to inspect a ring, book, baseball card, or jacket. It may not be long enough, however, to evaluate a mechanically complicated device or seasonal item. Why not make it 180 days? A person who will leave fair feedback within 60 days will leave fair feedback in 90, 120, or 180 days.

With respect to buyers like me, I think eBay only works when buyers have confidence in the honesty of sellers. I purchase some expensive equipment. Getting burned makes me shy and knowing the ability to leave negative feedback is limited only makes me more hesitant to buy again - and this isn't good for honest sellers.   

I'm an honest seller and I think that more than 60 days excessive on anything that I would buyer on the internet.  If it is important that I have a warranty on something beyond 30 days or so, I don't buy via the internet.  Having a 5 year ability to leave FB would not encourage me to purchase such an item.  There are just things I will always buy in person or via a venue that I have touched the item, checked out the quality and know I can take it back to the local store down the street if there is an issue.  Having the ability to trash the store/venue/seller really isn't even in my thought process.... Getting my money back and getting something that works is what is important.  

Honestly... It's like you're ticked off because you can't get your pound of flesh.

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

@brian_42 wrote:

"C'mon. That's not true. This is all about how you want to leave negative feedback for the seller over 60 days after the sale."

I suppose I can understand your cynicism, but it is absolutely true. I'm not after the seller, I came in here simply to question the policy. 

Seriously?  You came in to question the policy.  Why?

You don't think it is fair because YOU couldn't leave a negative feedback after 60 days.... Let me rephrase that.... You were disappointed to learn today that you cannot leave negative feedback after 60 days.  THAT is why you came in here.  Do you know how I know this?

Spoiler
It's the title of your post
Message 15 of 43
latest reply