cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I asked for digital goods in advance and the seller now refuses to ship the rest of the purchase.

Hello everyone. Sorry if the title is a little odd, but I wasn't sure how else to name it given the characters limit.

I'm currently in an odd situation involving a seller, and after trying to contact EBAY Support about it, the agent pretty much refused to actually read my original ticket and kept getting confused about basic details.

I could really use a second opinion from fellow EBAY users, so I'll try to explain what happened. There will be a "Too Long, Didn't Read" summary at the end.

For the past year or so I've been trying to collect physical videogame memorabilia from titles I enjoyed while growing up. I like to collect these things and leave them on a shelf, and it's even better if it comes with digital goods as well.

There was a somewhat rare pre-order edition of one of these games. This item came with digital and physical codes like behind-the-scenes, soundtrack, trailers and other promotional material, some in-game items and so on. I noticed that the shipping was estimated to only arrive by late January, and knowing full-well the current state of my country in regards to customs... there was a chance the item could only arrive in late February.

I decided to reach out to the seller to ask if it would be possible to receive the digital items in advance so that I could enjoy them while waiting for the physical bits to arrive. He did state he probably wouldn't be able to ship the rest if he gave me the physical goods, but I assured him it would be fine. I've been on EBAY since 2015 and have had no bad experiences with other users whatsoever. And so, I bought the item.

The seller did indeed send me the codes, but decided to have an attitude about it. I decided to try one of the codes and they worked (so at least I knew it was legit). He then outright refused to send the physical goods (which is honestly the meat of the purchase in question) and has now ghosted me.

So, I don't really know what to do. I bought this item in its original price, plus shipping and VAT. I've only gotten like 1/3 of the purchase and Support doesn't seem to understand what this is all about even though I tried my best to explain it . I can only assume Support is outsourced to non-English agents because they thought a pre-order item from 2006 isn't going to arrive until it's out (which it did... in 2006).

What are my options here? I never expected this to become an issue...

TL;DR: Bought a special edition of a videogame from a seller and asked if I could have the digital goods in advance while having to wait up to three months for the physical goods to arrive. Seller has now ghosted me and refuses to ship it.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

I asked for digital goods in advance and the seller now refuses to ship the rest of the purchase.

Pre-order policy says items have to be delivered by 30 days.  

If your physical item isn't received by the estimated date (January?) then file a not received case.

You can't file until the delivery date in the listing has passed.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

It''s a pre-order from 2006, though. The game came out 15 years ago. This is just a special edition of the game for the people who pre-ordered it at the time but there's still new copies surfing the internet as usual.

But is it really okay for me to file for a not received case even though I already claimed one of the digital codes?

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@huskyium wrote:

It''s a pre-order from 2006, though. The game came out 15 years ago. This is just a special edition of the game for the people who pre-ordered it at the time but there's still new copies surfing the internet as usual.

But is it really okay for me to file for a not received case even though I already claimed one of the digital codes?

You didn't receive what you paid for.

If it's less then 30 days past the estimated delivery date, file an INR.

Have a great day.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@huskyium,

If you just bought the item you would have to wait until the last estimated delivery date before you could open an Item Not Received (INR) dispute through ebay. The digital codes can't be used as proof of the item being sent. (ebay does not cover those with its money back guarantee) If the last estimated delivery date showing is more than 90 days from your purchase date there could be further issues.

Customs issues or not you should never buy anything from a seller who has more than a 45 day estimated delivery time frame, I won't buy from sellers giving more than a 30 day time frame. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 5 of 5
latest reply