cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I do a FedEx or UPS hold at other location like Walgreens

sometimes when I buy something from eBay I prefer to have it delivered to the local (FedEx authorized)  Walgreens etc for pickup

that works perfectly fine UNLESS I BOUGHT THE ITEM FROM EBAY

it seems that packages shipped through eBay are set to not allow any changes that WOULD BE ALLOWED if I was getting the package from almost anyone else.

if I am not going to be home on the day of delivery I do not want my package sitting on the porch so it can be stolen

I have called FedEx a few times and they say I have to contact the shipper (EBAY !!!) to do anything like hold at location. That is a LOST cause, it would NEVER get done in time to take effect.

Does anyone know a secret way of having FedEx or UPS hold an eBay package at their depot or Walgreens ? I can do this with packages sent by others so IT CAN BE DONE. I have been buying on eBay for 23 years but I think this change occurred in the past year or two.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@time-to-go-hiking 

Have the packages shipped to the location you want to pick it from from.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I only want that when I am not home, I wont know that till a day or so before ETA

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

If you will not know that you will want it shipped to a different location until it's presumably on its way, then this cannot happen, unless you can think of a way for your package to be magically grabbed off path #A by someone and magically rerouted to path #B.  

And, BTW, eBay is NOT the shipper.  Your seller is the shipper.  eBay is NOT Amazon.  

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

The seller is responsible for shipping and delivery to the exact address you give with payment.......NOT somewhere else.  This is done to also prevent theft.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

You are WRONG, EBAY IS THE SHIPPER, call FedEx and they will confirm that

that is how you get discounted shipping !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

you are confused, FedEx and UPS allow you to hold at location unless the shipper (EBAY) takes away that option

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@time-to-go-hiking wrote:

you are confused, FedEx and UPS allow you to hold at location unless the shipper (EBAY) takes away that option

Well ebay holds the sellers responsible for shipping to the address the buyer gave with their payment.

Again  PROTECTION for sellers who follow the rules.

Otherwise, ebay would make the seller refund the buyer.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I posted this question to see if anyone knew of a workaround, it is not a good situation if a package is stolen off a porch

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

If the seller uses the eBay shipping label service, eBay is the shipper. eBay is a reseller of USPS/FedEx/UPS shipping services to its sellers and eBay is the party preventing package recipients from using the tracking number to re-redirect their packages to a local UPS/CVS pharmacy or FedEx/Walgreens pharmacy. This is done to ensure packages are delivered to the buyer's eBay/PayPal address on file in the name of 'security.'

eBay has apparently failed to notice that a buyer-redirecting a package to one of those locations has to show ID to pick up the package and sign for it. In eBay's world, it is preferable for a package to sit unattended on someone's porch all day as long as it is at the buyer's registered eBay/Paypal address. 

On the odd occasion you can buy something on eBay and are able to re-direct your package with the tracking number, the seller did not use eBay's shipping label 'service.' If they are an eBay commercial storefront, they used their own UPS/FedEX account to ship or if they are a private individual selling the occasional item or two, they will hand carry the item to a FedEX store or Walgreens store. Package re-direction is not blocked in those cases. 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Going forward, I am boycotting any eBay seller who uses the eBay shipping label service instead of using the seller's own FedEx/UPS shipping account or taking themselves to a UPS store or FedEX store and shipping from there. I don't want eBay telling me I am not allowed to re-direct my packages to a nearby UPS store/CVS pharmacy or FedEx store/Walgreens pharmacy. I am paying for shipping either as an add-on cost or built into the 'free' shipping price and I expect to have the ability to re-direct my packages to UPS or FedEx 'hold at' locations as I wish. So, sellers ... if you use the eBay shipping label service you are not getting my business until eBay wises up and allows package recipients to re-direct their packages to FedEX or UPS 'hold at' locations. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply