cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Free Shipping' may not be

I've noticed this on several searches lately; it's usually the 'sponsored' sellers.  If you go through the thumbnails on your search, they show up as free shipping.  When you click on individual auctions/BINs, however, a shipping charge shows up, frequently fairly high.  I don't really care about free shipping, but I would prefer truthfulness in advertising!  Is ths a glitch, or something ebay does for its favored sellers?

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@airsheep wrote:
But I am on a PC! 😛

The glitch has been on the PC for years too, which is why I never understand why everyone assumes it’s an issue with the app. Interestingly most who made such claims don’t even use the app LOL. There’s a trick some sellers have found where free shipping shows in the search results but not on the listing, I know it’s not a glitch. I haven’t figured out how they do it though.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

This has been reported to happen when the buyer is using a mobile device.  Check on a PC to see if it is the same.

I am not an eBay employee. I'm a US eBay Community Mentor.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

But I am on a PC! 😛

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@airsheep wrote:

but I would prefer truthfulness in advertising!  

Unfortunately, we live in a society and world rampant with deception, lies, and greed.  This is very sad

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Is that old moblie free shipping bug still around? How many years has it been now...

(I don't use the app)

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I have not seen reports of this issue on this board and I do not experience this when I am on my PC.  

I am not an eBay employee. I'm a US eBay Community Mentor.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@airsheep wrote:
But I am on a PC! 😛

Unfortunately eBay is determined to make the website and the apps as alike as possible.  By dumbing down and messing up the former instead of fixing the latter.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@airsheep wrote:
But I am on a PC! 😛

The glitch has been on the PC for years too, which is why I never understand why everyone assumes it’s an issue with the app. Interestingly most who made such claims don’t even use the app LOL. There’s a trick some sellers have found where free shipping shows in the search results but not on the listing, I know it’s not a glitch. I haven’t figured out how they do it though.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

(General Reply)

I haven't noticed it in search results, but I've definitely seen it in the "Also Recommended," or "Similar Items," or whatever eBay calls their suggestions of other similar listings. It will show "Free Shipping," but have a shipping charge when I click on the thumbnail.

I'm using a laptop.
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

@airsheep wrote:
But I am on a PC! 😛

Need to correct myself. The trick I am speaking of, I don’t know if free shipping shows in the search results BUT—some sellers have figured out a trick—they offer free shipping and 2-4 other non-free shipping options. All options are shown in the shipping & payments tab BUT when you check out, free shipping is not an option! These are all fixed price listings too. 

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Haven't seen this.  What's a search that's likely to display such items?

Curious.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Haven't seen this. What's a search that's likely to display such items?

Curious.

When I buy based on an ad in search results misrepresenting an item's price and complain that I was overcharged, eBay has refunded me. California law is on my side. I'd expect the same with these cases where 'Free Shipping' may not be.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

I encountered this trying to find replacement slipper socks; the last pair I had wore out.  There are a number of 'sponsored' outfits (mostly based in Israel, apparently) that show free shipping in the thumbnail list format, but when I click on individual BINs, they all show a shipping charge.  This happens often in the 'suggestions' scrollbar at the bottom of my watched or purchased items as well; again, it's not an app failure, because I'm on a PC when I search.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 13 of 13
latest reply