cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay wrongly charging tax during Sales Tax Holiday....

Aug 7 - 9 is Sales tax Holiday in my State and numerous others. I went to purchase printer ink which is clearly on my States Tax Free list and ebay is adding the sales tax! My States guidelines require all sellers (which includes online) to comply with the Sales tax Holiday. This is wrong!! Could be a big selling weekend for many sellers. Instead I'll purchase elsewhere from a site that obliges.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Pretty sure the sale AND purchase need to take place in the same state.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

My State specifically states online shopping is exempt from tax during those dates. They know online isn't a physical presence within that State. I've purchased online before during the holiday and not been charged. ebay had this same issue last year according to my research.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

FYI....Just purchased the same type of item on other giant web site and wasn't charged tax!

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Not knowing which particular state you're referring to, it is difficult to know the precise wording of your state's tax law.  While it is possible that such a tax holiday is in effect, it is likely that out of state sellers may not have been aware of a short term tax holiday of just a weekend.

Currently here in Florida there is a limited sales tax holiday on specific items.  Of course, since Florida hasn't enacted a marketplace facilitator law, eBay doesn't collect sales tax for this state.  While merchants that sell the specific items exempt from tax for this limited time which is primarily back to school items should know of the tax holiday, they may not have been able to set their listings to not charge the tax if the listing duration is longer than the tax holiday.  In that case, I would advise the seller to refund the amount of tax collected on eligible sales during the period to the customer.

Of course, out of state sellers, may not be aware of the tax holiday although if they were required to collect Florida sales tax, they should have received a bulletin. 

As I said, not knowing the particular state, I can't really offer much useful advice.  However, I would probably advise you to check with your state's department of revenue regarding getting the overpaid tax money refunded. 

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

So, it might be either Tennessee or Virginia?   The rules for each state vary, as do the types of items sold/bought and the maximum prices that are exempt from sales tax.   But a brief glance shows that online sales -- within those limits on types of items and maximum price -- would also be sales-tax-free apparently regardless of where the seller is located.  

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Can you show us the source of that information? 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I'm in South Carolina. Ebay CS has already admitted that Printer ink is on the list of tax exempt items for the Tax Free Holiday here. Anyone can look it up online if they desire. As I stated, ebay's main competitor knows it's tax free and didn't charge it. Ebay is not only wrongly charging sales tax, but then charging the seller their new fee on said tax. Two wrongs.

I've made numerous online purchases during the sales tax holiday at multiple sites. Ebay is the ONLY one who ignored the sales tax holiday and wrongly charged the tax!

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

What was the cost of the item, plus shipping, that you didn't get the expected sales tax relief on?

Posting ID
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

What does that matter?! It's irrelevant. SMH

Ebay ripped me off by charging the sales tax and their CS admitted it!  Plain and simple. 

The majority of these replies are ridiculous and accusatory. I stated a fact and people are asking me for sources of info and how much the item was. This is why people don't bother coming to these boards any more. I'm not the one who did anything wrong. I tried to support sellers here by making a purchase and was overcharged by ebay.

I'm done buying here and coming to these boards.  Thanks for nothing.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

@sodelight wrote:

What does that matter?! It's irrelevant. SMH

Ebay ripped me off by charging the sales tax and their CS admitted it!  Plain and simple. 

The majority of these replies are ridiculous and accusatory. I stated a fact and people are asking me for sources of info and how much the item was. This is why people don't bother coming to these boards any more. I'm not the one who did anything wrong. I tried to support sellers here by making a purchase and was overcharged by ebay.

I'm done buying here and coming to these boards.  Thanks for nothing.

Alas!  I put little faith in what eBay CSR's say since most can only read what is given to them to say.  My advice would be to take the matter up with your state's department of revenue.  I'm sure they don't want eBay or anyone else to be stealing money from their citizens in their name.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 11 of 11
latest reply