cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay closed a case by mistake and I can't reopen or appeal. (Edit: I guess it was our mistake)

So we bought an item from China (I know, big mistake, but my teenage son convinced me).

It came in the completely wrong color. We contacted the seller and they told us they would pay the shipping back to China and pay the return.

We sent the item back and provided the tracking number.

Now ebay closed the case saying we never provided the tracking number. It's right there in the messages and I can prove it. So I lost the money for the transaction. 

Anyone else been ripped off by ebay like this? I can't believe I have to just accept this, there has to be a legal option somewhere.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Ebay closed a case by mistake and I can't reopen or appeal. (Edit: I guess it was our mistake)

Has item been delivered to seller with tracking?....Item should say "delivered"

Item not as described is how a claim should have been opened...where seller pays for shipping and it has seller's tracking number on it.

Maybe the seller will be honest and refund you.

eBay didn't rip you off. You didn't follows the directions of returns. Sorry about that.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

The tracking number in a message doesn't do any good.

You have to add the tracking number to the return case.

If you paid through Pay Pal, open a case with them and use the tracking number showing it was returned.

Have a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Did you actually enter the tracking number into the eBay case or just expect eBay to see it in a message? Ebay requires that it actually be entered into the case.

Had you properly used eBay's Money Back Guarantee none of this would have happened. When doing an international 'item not as described' return eBay requires the seller to pay the funds for shipping upfront. If they fail to do so all you have to do is ask eBay to step in. At that point they would have refunded without requiring the item be returned.

At this point I suggest you contact eBay's social media CS reps. They're much more savvy than the regular reps.

www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

www.twitter.com/eBay

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

My wife was handling the return and I did not know we had to put the tracking number in a separate place.

Ebay blocks any communication on the case now so I guess if it's our mistake we just have to accept this.

Since the seller received the item back I hope they throw it away and don't sell it to someone else. It's a football item costing 80 dollars that is in the completely wrong color but with the right team logo...

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

The eBay case gave you 21 days to enter the tracking, then it timed out and was closed. But you do still have the option of disputing the charge with your credit card. With tracking showing delivery of the return that should be a slam dunk. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply