cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Money Back Guarantee is a SCAM

I bought an item and received the tracking number  as usual. When the item didn't arrive, even though the tracking number indicated it had, Seller was not helpful so I contacted my local USPS and they traced the package was mis-delivered and the package was lost when they tried to recover it. Ebay closed my "item not received" case w/o a refund citing the fact that the tracking number showed the item was delivered, contrary to what my postal office said.

Either I misread the policy or Ebay Money Back Guarantee is just **bleep** Https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

Now, I have to deal with my credit company. I have also contacted the seller and hope they would help to file a claim with USPS. Such a waste of time. Should I use PayPal for future checkout - at least their customer service is better?

Thanks for reading and love to hear your comments.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Here is Ebay response to my case: essential putting the responsibility on the buyer and seller. Why don't we just complete the transaction outside of Ebay.

Hello Michael,

Thanks for contacting eBay regarding the Digital Rangefinder Camera (364484427907) that you bought. It saddens me to learn that you haven't receive the item. Please know that this is not the experience we want you to have, and I'm very willing in helping you with your concern.

I appreciate your effort in reaching out to us to have this sorted out. I have reviewed all the details and the case was closed because of the tracking information shows delivered to the address we have on your order details. However, I truly believe that you haven't receive the item because it went to wrong address.

For now, I recommend that you confirm the shipping address with your seller and ask them to submit a claim with the courier. Please know that we are always here to help, and we strive to provide the best service that you need. Kindly let us know if you have further questions or new informations.

To learn more about eBay Money Back Guarantee, kindly visit the link below:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

We appreciate your cooperation and understanding. I wish you all the best in your future transactions on eBay.

Sincerely,

Deborah

eBay Customer Service

Message 2 of 29
latest reply

That item number (364484427907) shows that this was for a $621 Camara.  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364484427907

There is a known scam where a seller will send some inexpensive item to a random address within you zip code.  If it shows delivered eBay will consider that you received the item and deny your claim.  Can not say this is what happened but it something to be aware of.

Get a statement from your local USPS that they traced the package and it was mis-delivered.  This will help to get a favorable decision when you appeal the decision.

Message 3 of 29
latest reply

@big5iron,

You bought a Leica M-P which trends at around $2,800 used for $621 from a (0) seller?  Open the link below and take notice of the same red strap in the photos of the 3 M-Ps that sold for under $1,000 by (0) scammers.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=+Leica+M-P+%28Typ+240%29+Full-Frame+Digital+Rangefinder+Camera&...

"Ebay closed my "item not received" case w/o a refund citing the fact that the tracking number showed the item was delivered, contrary to what my postal office said".

If you have not opened a charge back with your card provider, do not do it yet. If you have it will end up with the same result as the ebay INR dispute, and you have lost your Money Back Guarantee protections.

eBay's Item Not Received (INR) system is automated, all it can do is check the tracking number for a delivered scan. They cannot access the actual label information for an address or package type/size/weight, due to USPS privacy policy.  Neither can your card provider, since neither company is the sender or recipient.

You have been the victim of a fake tracking number scam, and the seller wouldn't help you because they know what they did, and hope to keep your money. In the message you received telling you the dispute had been closed there should be an appeal button. In order to win the appeal or a card charge back, you have to do some leg work.

You have 30 days from the date you received the message from ebay to appeal the decision. To win it You will have to go to your P.O..  You need to bring a copy of your order details page which shows your address and the tracking number with you. If you bought using a phone or tablet, you can bring that to show the clerk the order details. It would help to also get the camera's dimension & weight specs, off the Leica site to bring with you.

You want to ask the clerk to check the label address against yours, and also to check the Package type/size weight info to see if was is appropriate for what you should have received.  If the info does not match up, you ask the clerk to write a note on USPS stationary saying in general that the shipping label's address was not yours, and if applicable that the package type/size/weight was not right for what you should have received. Do not ask for specific address or package info, they cannot give it out.  Have the clerk sign and date the note.

Once you have the note, you can appeal the dispute ruling, or get the info from your card provider on how to send them the info you have.  For eBay you can write out what you found out in the appeal  and add a CLEAR photo or a scan of the note to an appeal.  That info will get ebay to overturn the original decision and issue a refund. It will cause a card provider to allow the charge back if you have already started one.

In the future avoid buying items that have a very low price from sellers who do not have experience selling that type of item, or have not sold anything before at all.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 29
latest reply

I did ask my postal office to trace the package and they responded with a GPS coordinate that was across town. This inform was shared with Ebay and they still denied my claim. Thanks.

Message 5 of 29
latest reply

If you do an online dispute with your banking institution they usually don't require a lot of information. I prefer online instead of phone or in person to your bank. I disagree with someone saying you will get the same results that eBay gave you. You are given a courtesy dispute in a monthly cycle...which means no other disputes for that month should be on said card from Amazon, Uber, Doordash, etc. You don't have to be specific about much info to input when you do it online. In person in the bank you kind of feel like you are going through "the third degree" ...same like on phone.

And it usually works even when you used a debit card from your bank...sometimes it's better to pay with your debit or credit card from your banking to get quicker results.

Refund usually in 2 weeks. These are my personal opinions. Good luck.

Message 6 of 29
latest reply

I did ask my postal office to trace the package and they responded with a GPS coordinate that was across town. This inform was shared with Ebay and they still denied my claim.

You need documentation from the shipper that says the tracking does not correspond to a delivery to your address, or some other documentation that indicates the tracking could not be for your order -- for instance, if the tracking began before your order was actually placed, or if there is a great weight disparity between what was ordered and what was shipped.

eBay does not know your actual GPS position, so sharing GPS delivery coordinates alone will not help.

Message 7 of 29
latest reply

Finally got the package from my local USPS office. Name and address are wrong on the letter envelope. FAKE1-9405508205498160142483.PNG

Message 8 of 29
latest reply

If time has not run out you can file a "not as described" case with eBay, now that you have something to return, if you have not already disputed payment via other means.

If the seller provides a return shipping label, return the envelope. Otherwise, if no refund is forthcoming, ask eBay to step in after three business days.

If times has run out or your eBay case has been closed due to starting a payment dispute, you may be able to file a "not as described" return via your payment method.

Message 9 of 29
latest reply

@big5iron 

Good for you and your Post Office.   Now you have some of  the proof you need.  I would encourage you to contact eBay thorough one of their social media portals.  They are reps that are familiar with this ongoing scam and do have the authority to help you.  You need to give the item number, your user ID, name, address, and contact information and what has transpired so far with information that your eBay claim was denied.  

You can upload this photo with the address that was not yours (probably not your seller's either) but the tracking number shows this was not intended for you.  It was intended to trick the eBay bots and the regular customer service that can only deny, deny, and deny some more. 

Use the blue message button at the top of this page: 

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness

OR

https://twitter.com/askebay

Message 10 of 29
latest reply

Thank you for letting me know about the social media portal!

Message 11 of 29
latest reply

If name and address is wrong how did you get it from the Post Office. Did they give it to you or just allow you to take a picture? Is the Tracking Number the one that was provided for your item?

Message 12 of 29
latest reply

I disagree with someone saying you will get the same results that eBay gave you.

@12345jamesstamps 

The reason victims of the fake tracking scam are told that is that unless they make sure PayPal or their card company are made aware that this is a FAKE TRACKING SCAM issue instead of a regular item not received (INR) claim they are often denied again. When the card company or PayPal submits the claim to eBay,  eBay just responds with the same "tracking shows delivery", and the victim loses again. 

The scenario of a buyer simply filing INR with their payment provider without the mention of the scam, has had the same denial repeated often enough here for people to know how it plays out.  Thus the victim needs to provide the additional information and not just file INR.  A credit card company may not require such stringent proof of the scam  as eBay does, so they should call their payment provider  and inquire first.  

Message 13 of 29
latest reply

@big5iron 

That is a local restaurant in your area.  Typical of the fake tracking scam.  Good luck! 

Message 14 of 29
latest reply

Paypal is no better in my experience - I am fighting a tracking number scam myself and I paid using Paypal. The money disappeared out of my checking account and it appears to be up to me to prove I didn't get the item because of a recycled tracking number scam.  As of right now there is no tracking data entered although the item has supposedly shipped.  On the day the item is supposed to be delivered,  fake, or recycled tracking data will suddenly appear right alongside "delivered" and Ebay will be satisfied, but I won't have my item.  Seen this one before already - I can't believe this is so rampant.

Message 15 of 29
latest reply