cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't be Hi-Jacked, It happened to me.

I was shopping for a LG TV replacement remote control. Selling the TV, I wanted a genuine remote with the LG Logo on it. I found one for a good price. Messaged the seller to confirm that this remote had the LG Logo, they replied it did just as the photo shows. Next thing I know I receive a email with an offer. Great! I thought, remote with logo and 5% off! Fantastic!

Thinking this offer came from the the same seller I was just conversing with I went to the offer and bought it. But right after I bought it I noticed the photo of the remote and it was the generic form of the remote (no LG Logo). Did the seller switch the remote for sale? What happened?

Apparently, another seller of generic remotes got wind of me buying a remote and sent me a offer. But they aren't even the same thing. Generic remote and Genuine LG Logo remotes are not the same! (they work the same, but don't look the same).

It was like one shopping for a Ford and this Chevy dealer comes budding his nose in saying he has a pickup truck for sale, while I was transacting with the Ford dealer. Rude.

I don't want to opt out of receiving offers in the future. But I don't need extra confusion while I'm dealing with someone else. So, all I can say is if you get these offers in your inbox, double check the seller/store name.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

There were a lot of scams back when offers first came out on eBay.  Most of it went away once you could no longer use your email as your user id.   One have to always take great care to be sure of what they are buying.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I agree, but the problem I was having is totally different...eBay informs other sellers to "peer in" (spy) on things you are shopping for then they send you offers for the similar item your shopping for. This causes a confusion because you think the seller of the item you placed in your "Watchlist" is the one offering you a discount, but it's not. It's totally a different seller selling you a similar (but not exactly) an item your shopping for. I never opted in on giving out my private shopping habits so as to give eBay permission to tell other sellers to confuse me while in my "shopping process".

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@lazetar,

"eBay informs other sellers to "peer in" (spy) on things you are shopping for then they send you offers for the similar item your shopping for".

You are not getting offers just because you search for something.   You get offers when you open a Sponsored/Promoted listing on an item page.  When I receive special offers, I double check them by clicking on the offer so I can make sure it is for the item I was looking at,  and from a seller that I wanted to buy from.  Only then do I accept or delete the offer.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 4 of 4
latest reply