cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Defective item replacement

I recently purchased a replacement LCD monitor. The item arrived, looked fine but I never opened the package due to a city election I was in the middle of. After about 6 weeks I was finally able to get to install this monitor, when I did the monitor never turned on and is defective. The seller refuses to refund the money stating now it is past the 30 day return policy. This seller has a 100% positive rating, and it surprises me that this seller would treat sales of defective items like this. I cannot even leave feedback for the item which is something I really want to do. The seller did request the item back, however to ship the item back was more than the item cost and the seller would not pay for the return shipping cost. I guess I am out 125.00 and will probably never use EBAY again since nobody has ever allowed me to leave feedback now any EBAY customer service assistant will return emails or attempts to contact them. Sad how degraded Ebay has become. ALlowing sellers to sell defective junk without protecting buyers. All I can say is BEWARE of deceptive practices even with Sellers with 100% positive feedback. The seller has done something to block me from leaving the proper feedback for this defective product.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

To leave feedback, you have to do it within 60 days.

As far as returns on Ebay, you only have 30 days.

If you paid through Pay Pal, open a case with them, but you'll have to pay return shipping.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

@sys409 

< now it is past the 30 day return policy >    

Also past PayPal's deadline, if somebody suggests that.  Your last recourse is to request a chargeback from the credit card company that you funded your payment with.  Call the customer service number on the back of the card.  Tell the agent that you need to request a chargeback.  Use that word.  The agent will forward your call to the appropriate desk, but before she does that, ask her for the direct number to that desk.  With the direct number, you won't have to call the general number and fight through that infuriating computer-generated choice tree they make you suffer. 

< nobody has ever allowed me to leave feedback >    

Why would you say something that is so easy to refute.  Maybe a poor memory.  You have received three feedbacks, one from each of three different sellers.  You have given three feedbacks, one to each of the three sellers who gave it to you. 

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

I didn't say I have never been able to use feedback, I stated the seller somehow blocked me from leaving the feedback about the defective item. However since it has been 60 days.. this seller got off with 125.00. Lesson learned I guess.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

I get that, but this circumstance was assuming the monitor would be good. As I said I was unable to get to the install for 6 weeks. Lesson learned I guess.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Lesson learned I guess.

@sys409 

^^^ A healthy attitude if you're outtie. But if you decide to be made whole, reach out to your CC. Good luck.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

Ebay has a quite robust Money Back Guarantee to protect buyers. And you would have been able to leave feedback had it been within eBay's 60-day window. The sole reason you weren't able to take advantage of either of these is that you waited 6 weeks to test out your purchase. That's on you.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Yeah thanks. That helps a lot. When you buy something, there might be times you cannot get to that something but you expect it to work as purchased. THis is why Amazon beats EBAY every day, because they have much better defective item replacement. Sure it is on me, but why wouldn't I think the part worked. The seller ran a sale of a defective product, plain and simple. Just because I couldn't get to it until after the return window, doesn't mean the product was supposed to work. It never did, a 30 day return window wouldn't change that fact.  I am sure if you sold something, and 50 days later that something didn't work you as most would want to make things right. Maybe not considering your selfish comment. But ok. Not asking for you opinion here, I am asking if there is something else I can do. Evidently not, worst of all I cant even leave the feedback for a defective item. 

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@sys409 wrote:

I get that, but this circumstance was assuming the monitor would be good. As I said I was unable to get to the install for 6 weeks. Lesson learned I guess.

You cannot "assume." You have 30 days to verify that an item is "as described" and if there's a problem, to file a claim. 

"The seller did request the item back, however to ship the item back was more than the item cost and the seller would not pay for the return shipping cost.

The seller is being extremely accomodating considering that he owes you nothing and isn't obligated to accept a return at all! He certainly doesn't owe you return shipping! 

If you make future purchases on ebay, be sure to verify that items work! 

BTW, you said, "The item arrived, looked fine but I never opened the package due to a city election I was in the middle of. After about 6 weeks." What does a city election have to do with your not testing your purchase? I doubt that you worked 24/7! 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

"... worst of all I cant even leave the feedback for a defective item."

@sys409 

Regarding my previous post... I thought that the worst was that you were out money. You'll grow to accept the fb thing, too.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

The election was taking up 100% of my time since I was running for office. I had no time to devote to replacing the monitor because it requires a lot of disassembly of the pinball machine. Time I did not have during the election. It is what it is, like I said lesson learned. 

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

The money is one thing, it was 127.00. But protecting people from future defective purchases from this seller would have benefited the community. At the very least, make buyers aware of this seller via the negative feedback to make sure "IF" you purchase from this seller, verify the item works as expected. I cannot even do that now. 

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

"I recently purchased a...."....about 6 weeks is not recent.

30 day return policy...60 day feedback policy.

This has been standard on eBay...

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Actually, 60 days is about 8 1/2 weeks.  You should still be able to leave FB if within that time frame.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

by the time I was ready to leave feedback after trying to resolve the issue the 60 days expired. Sucks but whatever..

Message 15 of 23
latest reply