cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could eBay highlight the country from which the seller operates?

I consider myself to be what's known as an ethical shopper and I know there are plenty of others. For example, I have concerns about the situation in Tibet. So I have to spend a lot of time checking which sellers are based in China because the country depends heavily on exports. So, by buying from elsewhere, I can be certain my money doesn't end up causing the Tibetan people further harm. I'm sure there will be people who want to ensure they don't inadvertently fund oppression or suffering in certain places. All I'm suggesting is that perhaps, the country in which the seller is based could be highlighted, so buyers who wish to make solidarity a part of their choice, can easily do so. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

If you're  shopping you need to click on their feedback and read the comments. When you do that you see their country. No need to have it highlighted.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@kkatstuff 

< I have to spend a lot of time checking which sellers are based in China >     

You can look at a seller's feedback page and see what country he's in.  You can check the Estimated Delivery time in a listing; if it's measured in weeks, then you know it isn't coming from within your own country.  How long does it take to do those two things?  That's what I do and I haven't inadvertently bought anything from China in years.  

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

"ethical shopper"...a lot of USA states use those in jails for processing the foods we buys in most of the stores we shop and get no pay salary so to speak. So one doesn't have to go too far to see it. Just thought I throw this useless information out.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

That's what I do, but it's a lot of effort to search through each one. Buyers might appreciate eBay showing they understand how much this means to people. Providing opportunity for them to utilise their power as a consumer in this way does not treat any seller unfairly, because as you pointed out, that information was available all along.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

But half of the stuff sold by US-based sellers is manufactured in China, and purchasing from those sellers would still support Chinese industry and exports. What you really want is a search option based on country of manufacture.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@kkatstuff,

"I consider myself to be what's known as an ethical shopper ...So I have to spend a lot of time checking which sellers are based in China because the country depends heavily on exports. So, by buying from elsewhere, I can be certain my money doesn't end up causing the Tibetan people further harm". 

While that is all well and good, it isn't very practical.  You are located in the U.K. and most all of the high volume, "Registered in the UK as a business seller", listings are from sellers based in or who drop ship from China. We have a similar problem here in the states where ebay helped chinese sellers register in this country for a several years. 

Even if ebay were to name a seller's actual country of origin, so many things made by U.K. Mfr.'s if not made in China  have components in them that were made in China, so one way or another you are  supporting the Chinese Govt.   I'll bet  many of the Big Box stores in the U.K. get much of their inventory from China or China based suppliers. 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 7 of 7
latest reply