cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyers offering the Buy It Now price

Right now, I'm selling my Apple Watch for a Buy It Now price of $300. I keep getting $300 offers from buyers and usually they're asking me to accept it. I've been declining the offer, and explaining that $300 is the Buy It Now price, and they can purchase it if they would like. Then, they don't purchase it. 

Is this a scam? I'm not understanding why these buyers are making an offer that's the Buy It Now price. 

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks! 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Yes as a new seller with an apple products you are a target for scammers.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

If they purchase the item outright, then they must pay immediately.  But if you accept an offer, then the scammer will send you a message about having a problem paying through eBay, and would you please tell them your PayPal email address so they can pay you directly.  

The next step is that they send you a fake email that seems to be from Paypal, describing an odd escrow system in which your funds will be put into your PayPal account after you provide proof of shipping. Sometimes they "send" extra funds so you'll send the item via Express Mail; this ensures that the item has been delivered before you catch on.

Just ignore the offers.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@cpauli57 wrote:

Right now, I'm selling my Apple Watch for a Buy It Now price of $300. I keep getting $300 offers from buyers and usually they're asking me to accept it. I've been declining the offer, and explaining that $300 is the Buy It Now price, and they can purchase it if they would like. Then, they don't purchase it. 

Is this a scam? I'm not understanding why these buyers are making an offer that's the Buy It Now price.  Would you accept offers for less than $300?

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks! 

Your listing says Buy it now  $300.00 or Best Offer and has a Make Offer button.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Yes, it's a scam. They're trying to circumvent the immediate payment requirement on your Buy It Now. They would then ask for your PayPal email address, and send you a fake PayPal email telling you that you've been paid but the money won't show up until you provide proof of shipping.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

As someone upthread said, there is no way to make an offerer pay. Plus it leaves the OP open to the fake Paypal email scam.

I wouldn't have offers on there at all but I know right now Ebay is adding it automagically if you use the short listing form.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

As someone upthread said, there is no way to make an offerer pay. Plus it leaves the OP open to the fake Paypal email scam.

I wouldn't have offers on there at all but I know right now Ebay is adding it automagically if you use the short listing form.

I understand the scheme now, thanks all.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

You might want to remove Best Offer from the listing.

You were right to come here with your question.  They are trying to circumvent your immediate payment required by the offer that is the same as your fixed price, only to send a fake Paid email and hope you will ship just by that.

Always actually check your Paypal account to be certain that payment is actually there.  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply