cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer's Sales Tax Calculation

Greetings.  As I understand it the eBay sales tax calculations are based off the buyer's state.  I am in Florida and our sales tax rate is 6%.  However I went to make an offer on a item today and the calculated sales tax came back at 8.2%.  I contacted the seller and they stated the rate is set by eBay and there was nothing they could do.  I went to place an offer on another item sold by a different seller and their sales tax rate was 11.2%.  **bleep**?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

In Florida shipping is also subject to sales tax. Did you take that into account in your calculations?

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

In Florida shipping is also subject to sales tax. Did you take that into account in your calculations?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I am in Florida and our sales tax rate is 6%. 

@mbares69 

My state tax rate is 7%. But when you add my county's sales tax, I pay 9 1/4% when I shop here, just like locally.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

There is now county taxes in Florida as well. That's on top of the state tax. Palm Beach and Broward counties are 1% for a 7% total.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Florida has a statewide sales tax of 6%. Municipal governments in Florida are allowed to collect local sales taxes, so the total sales tax rate varies between cities, counties, and special districts.

Including these local taxes, the lowest sales tax rate in Florida is 6% in nine cities, including Inverness and Crystal River, and the highest sales tax is 7.5% in 185 cities....

As far as the discrepancy of 'estimated' sales tax rates...I have no explanation, but can only say I have never seen that as a buyer.......dunno

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

With county it is 7%.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Are you using zip +4 in your address to get the correct sales tax for your actual location?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

My bad, shipping is also taxed.  Thanks for the responses!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@mbares69 wrote:

My bad, shipping is also taxed.  Thanks for the responses!

Yep. That's what I experience, too. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply