cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought an item, didn't work properly, initiated a return, buyer says "I don't do returns."

So I purchased an $80.00 item from a seller in New York (I'm in New Hampshire) and when it came, it was not working as described.  I first reached out to the seller to let them know, and they gave me some more information.  After taking their advice and still not being able to get the item working, I initiated the return.  I emailed the seller back directly to let them know I'd initiated the return and they replied "It works fine and I don't accept returns."    

I've always found eBay to be very much on the side of the buyer, not the seller, in these matters.  So, will eBay see that the seller does right by me?  What should I do?  Wait out the return process until a point where eBay steps in if the seller doesn't do anything?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Bought an item, didn't work properly, initiated a return, buyer says "I don't do returns."

If the item is broken or not as described, the seller will need to accept the return. The no returns policy applies to buyers that change their mind on an item, not items that aren't working properly or not as described.

Most likely ebay will rule in favor of you and will force the seller to accept your return or the return will be disallowed, though I doubt this will happen.

he/him/guy/dude...you get the picture
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I hope in the return request you said, "Item does not work as described", or "Item not as described"... something to indicate those reasons for the return.  If you just say you don't want it, or you don't like it, etc., the return may not go in your favor.  You can go to the Resolution Center and add to the return request if you need to to clarify why you want to return the item. 

Also, you don't need to contact the seller again.  The seller was notified when you filed the return request and when you add anything to it.  If you must communicate with the seller, do so in the Resolution Center Return Request itself, but it's out of his hand now, so no communication is really needed.

Ebay will tell the seller that they are issuing you a return label and once he receives the item back, he's to refund you.  If he doesn't do that, Ebay will do it for him.

Keep a watch on the Resolution Center and respond if and when necessary.  Be sure to use the return label ASAP and it helps if you take the package to the PO or get your mail carrier to SCAN IN the bar code on the label, so Ebay can see the package is in the carrier's return system.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@payitforward67 

What kind of case did you open?

If you selected the item doesn't match the description, Ebay's MBG overrules the sellers no returns.

If you filed a regular return, the seller can deny it if they don't accept returns.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

What do I do when I pay for an item that is over $200 dollars it takes the money but then gives me an error and then start saying that I never paid for anything on the guest account and does not provide any contact or tracking number

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

If you offer enough available proof,ebay will be in your favor

Message 6 of 6
latest reply