cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bid sniping and just a terrible app

I'm using Huawei p30 pro

Went to contact support chat 3 times re bid sniping after end of auction by 1 cent

My bid $136.00 after auction ended was beaten by a bid of $136.01

Which is **bleep** as you can't even bid in 1 cent increments . This needs to be fixed asap

Next issue is that 3 times using the chat the chat screen went white and I had to reopen the chat and start again each time . Not a good experience at all.

Please fix all of this and completely stop all illegal bids, I say that as using the app that you have created doesn't allow that, or at bare minimum enable 1c bids for all users

Or charge 3rd party app sniperss $10 fee and that'll level the playing field.. l.!...

Does eBay even view these? Or an I just waiting my time?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

@glasser,

You wrote:

"I disagree. Soft endings are they every other site now operates".

Other sites use soft endings because Pierre Omidyar, ebay's founder, copyrighted his auction program, and ebay has refused to lease it to other companies.  Many online auction companies have come and Gone over the years, Yahoo auctions being the most famous of them.  Many of them require purchasing "bids" as their way of making money.  I tried a couple that have advertised on TV "I won this DSLR Camera for $20 - I won a 60" TV for $30...".    One had to sit at a computer for hours waiting out the 3-5 minute added time each time a bid came in, and some people even tried to snipe those as well.  The bidding ended when people got tired of waiting, and moved on to later started,  concurrently running auctions for the same product. 

Auctions have always ended when the bidding ends not when the clock says over.  eBay is an outlier in this way ...  At minimum, they should, as other sites do, require every bid no matter when made to be at an increment".

You're wrong about that. Not every auction is an English Outcry auction where bidding stops when the gavel falls. Many auctions are Vickrey type sealed bid auctions, that have fixed ending times, which is closest to the type of auctions ebay runs.

Vickrey type auctions are often used for charity events.  Some are true sealed bid auctions, where none of the bidders knows what another has bid. Others are open bid where you can see what the person before you bid, and both have a fixed time after which no more bids will be accepted. Neither English Outcry nor Vickrey auctions has fixed increment rules in most cases, and it is not unusual at Outcry auctions for bids to jump by hundreds of dollars over what the auctioneer is calling for. 

Have you given any thought to the sellers who use ebay's auction format?   Many schedule their auctions to end at a given time to fit in with their work/family schedules. Do you think they want to sit at or near a computer for hours while bidders keep adding bids one increment at a time every 3-10 minutes? 

Have you ever participated in one of ebay's hosted live online auctions, or an online one from a large auction house?  The auction runs from Friday evening, until Sunday afternoon. Maybe you found an item on ebay or the house's catalog that has an estimated time for your lot to be called, at say Saturday 1:00pm.  You go online at 12:00 thinking your lot may be called up earlier or close to the estimated start time, only to find the current lot is 50 numbers from yours.  Even without a specific added time between bids, your lot may not get called until after 3:00pm. 

"... This to would conform with how the rest of the bidding world works and would eliminate the I lost the bid by .01, which really feels like a slap in the face".

Sometimes a slap in the face is a wake up call.

eBay's auctions are fair for all, and has been since before you joined. Sniping was happening even back then, though there weren't any snipe bidding companies.  Each bidder can see the end time on the listing page, and the actual down to the seconds end time on the bid history page in the last 24 hours.  Each bidder has a chance to use Automatic bidding, and can know exactly when an auction is going to end.   Any bidder who does not place a bid for the MOST they are willing to pay before the end time, deserves to lose.  eBay even states that in their Bidding information tips, along with adding a few odd cents to break ties to win. 

I have lost auctions where I added odd cents to bids by a few cents. but I do not cry about it.  I have also won some by a penny or in one case by $1.00 with a multi hundred dollar snipe bid for an original rare movie poster, that sold for over $6K That was before hidden IDs, and for several days the loser messaged me calling me every name in the book. They even posted on these boards how unfair it was, even though they too had added a few odd dollars, to their snipe.

Yes losing an auction by a few odd cents can be hard to swallow, but winning one by a few cents, is a rush.  Snipers are willing to risk taking just one chance to win/lose. It doesn't really matter if they lose by $20 or  $0.01 cents, the let down is still the same.  Often the bid price can climb by a considerable amount in the last seconds, and the snipers lose to an earlier high bid. 

This topic like all of the rest about sniping is about one thing.  Someone who lost would have bid more, if they had more time.  That is often not the case, because they will hedge on the price when increasing their next bid.

"They haven't changed it because eBay does not promote the use of auctions any longer--a loss from my point of view".

eBay has not changed it because they know the snipers will increase the end price, often exceeding the sellers price expectation. They make more money when that happens, so it is a win for the seller and ebay. 

You are right though, ever since J.D. became CEO, the vision of this site has changed. eBay management would probably like to see an end to auctions and low volume sellers. However, I think they know if they did that they would then be competing directly with Amazon, Alibaba, Mercari etc.  And they cannot do that with fixed price listings alone.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 16 of 20
latest reply

@mudshark61369 

Couple of point here:

I have been buying and selling antiques and collectibles in all venues online and off for more than 20 years. I am a frequent buyer at in person and online auctions. I sell 99% of my items on eBay as no reserve auctions.

1) I count one hand the number of sealed bids auctions I have ever seen for Antiques and Collectibles.

2) most charity auctions I have been to-slilent auctions--actually have bidding sheets so you can see who bids because people make a game of who they bid against and how much

3)I don't think eBay's system is inherently unfair. It is what it is. I can see how it's frustrating for people who don't regularly buy at auction to lose .01` and confusing for people who are new to eBay but not to auctions.

4) Yes, some of the other online auction paltforms have come and gone. They could never equal eBay's user base. However, since eBay began, traditional auction houses are no online as well using what you call "outcry auctions" that are either combo live and online and some are online only. They all use soft ends and all requite bids by increment. So eBay is an outlier.

5) I agree that as a seller being able to decide when my auction ends is helpful/ I like mine to ned over weekends so I can get stuff shipped and out. 

6) I have heard people say you can't have soft ending since auctions would go on for hours. This is just not true. If you added 2 minutes for every bid that happened in the last two minutes, my guess is you'd rarely get beyond 10 minutes extended auction time.  Never seen an item at auction go for hours with a soft close. Plus with better increments)meaning higher as prices go up). People drop out.  With small increments like $5 or $10 people hang in longer. Since eBay has no buyer fees like traditional auctions, having higher increments makes sense

What I am really saying is that at one time eBay's method was the only online method. Now tons of auctions are online. People comfortable with traditional auctions are hard to convert to eBay because they don't get how it works when they have been well-trained in other methods or buying. In that sense eBay has moved for the main way of selling by auction to an outlier.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

@glasser,

I don't have much time to reply right now.

#2  I did mention bid sheets where bids could be seen in my reply. ebay's system is Sealed bid, in that others

do not know if a bid was placed of one increment or more.  Vickrey styles have a hard end time though.

#4 Out Cry auctions all give time for a late bid to be given going, going, Gone and the gavel falls.  It does not  matter if they are strictly live, or a combo of live/online/phone bidding.

#5 I've been selling vintage and collectible items on ebay for 18+ years, 99% of my listings are auctions

I schedule mine to suit my shipping times.

#6 As I wrote, I did try some of the other sites, and sat for hours before quitting while people kept bidding.

My favorite ebay seller who was one of their first platinum sellers, that left the site in late `08.  Had to

go to a soft end time auction system.  Still even though he did allow open bids (any price a bidder

was willing to bid) most would keep bidding low increments some not ending for over an hour. It was

the only regret he had about leaving this site.  He did do things a bit differently than most sellers though.

"What I am really saying is that at one time eBay's method was the only online method. Now tons of auctions are online. People comfortable with traditional auctions are hard to convert to eBay because they don't get how it works when they have been well-trained in other methods or buying. In that sense eBay has moved for the main way of selling by auction to an outlier".

I would say, since ebay was the first online only auction site and is the longest existing one. All of the rest are the outliers. I think some/most of them wish they could use ebay's proprietary format, rather than the time added ones they have to use. It is a cleaner (business wise) model. It is also better for what we sell. Most of the other sites only  have listings for New items.  I have to ask, do you think ebay would have  changed if the other sites were making demonstrably more money per auction item?  Have you tried listing things on other auction sites? 

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Remove the word sniping from your vocabulary.  Someone else bid.  They bid more and they won.  No snipe, no obscene references, no illicit activity.  They wanted it more than you.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 19 of 20
latest reply

There is no scam, nothing illegal, and there is nothing wrong with sniping. I snipe everything I place a bid on. Don't want to get sniped? Make your bid higher to begin with.

And I always add some spare change just in case. If I bid a 100 dollars then  I make my bid for 100 dollars and 62 cents, 89 cents, or whatever. Ruthless world I guess......  😉

Message 20 of 20
latest reply