cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoiding The Question About Taxes

The Company Does Not Reply Or Respond To Tax Policies 

They Charge Un Valid Taxes For Postage, To Soldiers, And Veterans. 

All Exempt To California And All Fifty States. These People Are Real Citizens.

The Company Could Really Careless. It Has Pointed Out Members Of Congress 

Of The Issue. Asking Reimbursement In New York, eBay Does Not Charge, Taxes On

Postage. ( A Violation Of Postal Law Cases Well Known)  Also, Retail Tax To Soldiers And Veterans is 

Prohibited By Federal Law. ( Case Laws And Codes Can Be Validated)

If Allowed To Speak Some One From eBay About The Tax Issue,

They Run Away Or Change The Subject. 

These Question Can Be Answer With Direct Letters To Your Congressional Representative. 

There Is Committee Being Formed For Investigation. 

Then The Real Questions And Answers Will Surface. Taxes Or Just A Service Fee.

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

"eBay's Buyer Exemption program for sales tax

If you are a tax-exempt buyer, we have a buyer exemption system that allows you to submit sales tax exemption certificates to eBay and make purchases without paying sales tax.

Alternatively, you may be able to get a credit for sales tax paid to eBay directly from your state. "

Anyone who is exempt for whatever reasons has to to go through the process to show that to eBay. 

New York taxes on postage. 

"If only one charge for shipping or delivery is listed on the bill, the entire delivery charge is treated as part of the taxable portion of the bill.

If the charge for shipping or delivery is fairly allocated between the taxable and nontaxable products of the bill, then only the shipping or delivery charge allocated to the taxable products on the bill is taxable.

Example: A customer orders a coffee maker and a five-pound supply of imported coffee through the mail. The mail-order retailer issues the following bill to the customer:

Coffee maker $89.95

Five pounds of imported coffee 55.00

Shipping 5.00

Total (before sales tax) $149.95

The amount subject to tax is $94.95 ($89.95 + $5.00)."

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/st/shipping_and_delivery_charges.htm#:~:text=Sale....

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

One Thing You've Taught Me... It's Hard To Read Many Words In A Row When Each One Is Capitalized. Thanks For That.

Message 2 of 64
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

One Thing You've Taught Me... It's Hard To Read Many Words In A Row When Each One Is Capitalized. Thanks For That.

LOL. Laughing Out Loud

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 64
latest reply

"eBay's Buyer Exemption program for sales tax

If you are a tax-exempt buyer, we have a buyer exemption system that allows you to submit sales tax exemption certificates to eBay and make purchases without paying sales tax.

Alternatively, you may be able to get a credit for sales tax paid to eBay directly from your state. "

Anyone who is exempt for whatever reasons has to to go through the process to show that to eBay. 

New York taxes on postage. 

"If only one charge for shipping or delivery is listed on the bill, the entire delivery charge is treated as part of the taxable portion of the bill.

If the charge for shipping or delivery is fairly allocated between the taxable and nontaxable products of the bill, then only the shipping or delivery charge allocated to the taxable products on the bill is taxable.

Example: A customer orders a coffee maker and a five-pound supply of imported coffee through the mail. The mail-order retailer issues the following bill to the customer:

Coffee maker $89.95

Five pounds of imported coffee 55.00

Shipping 5.00

Total (before sales tax) $149.95

The amount subject to tax is $94.95 ($89.95 + $5.00)."

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/st/shipping_and_delivery_charges.htm#:~:text=Sale....

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 4 of 64
latest reply

If you are saying that it's not legal to charge state sales tax to military and veterans, can you please cite the law that says that, preferably without capitalizing every word?  

Message 5 of 64
latest reply

Rules Seem Simple And Following Them As A Civilian, Gives Life With Excuses. 

The Capital Breaks The Computer From Generating Joke Answers. 

The First Two Are Computer Generated.

I Have Paid Tax On Everything, Including Clothing Non-Taxable In New York City.

They Combine Postage As Handling. Tax The Whole Thing. 

Congress Is The Best Way.  A Committee Investigation Sure Cure The Issue.

Message 6 of 64
latest reply

I think you have property tax exemptions for disabled veterans mixed up with sales tax exemptions. 

Message 7 of 64
latest reply

Sorry, even though we'd like to help you, I don't think any of us can figure out what your issue is and you don't seem very eager to help us in that effort.  

And, if you have paid tax on everything, including clothing, then it must be taxable.  I cannot imagine that clothing would not be subject to sales taxes in NY City, but, again, feel free to cite information to prove me wrong.  

Message 8 of 64
latest reply

So much absolutely misinformation.  I couldn't even read that whole post before I started laughing.     unbelievable.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 9 of 64
latest reply

The OP has now sent me a PM citing a US Government source containing information about veterans' benefits, but I could not find out a place where exemption from state sales taxes is mentioned.  

Message 10 of 64
latest reply

"Congress Is The Best Way.  A Committee Investigation Sure Cure The Issue."

You cannot start a congressional investigation with a post on eBay's Buying Community.

Start with finding out who represents your state in the US Senate (there are two people from each state) and who represents your particular area in the US House of Representatives.   That will be only one person.

Then:  contact those people.   Be sure to explain your situation to them carefully and exactly.  

Who knows?  You may be on to something. 

Message 11 of 64
latest reply

Since state reps in Congress are based, I believe, on the population of each state, there is a possibility that  there will be more than one state representative for an individual state in the House of Representatives.  California, for instance, will probably have more than one.  My state, Ohio, has at least several.  Each individual represents a particular district.  

Message 12 of 64
latest reply

So now the OP, in his PM to me, states there was a law in 1879.  Have a feeling this was regarding real estate taxes.  Doubt if there were even state sales taxes at that time.  I believe I am done with this discussion based on the facts that (1) none of us are getting anywhere with the OP; and (2) messages where every word is capitalized are REALLY hard to read.  

Message 13 of 64
latest reply

What is the name of the committee that's being formed for investigation?

Who is on that committee?

Exactly what are they investigating? 

Message 14 of 64
latest reply

@mfisher2202 

It's really quite simple. There are 185 million+ eBay members. There's no way they know which of those members are soldiers or veterans. If you have a valid tax exemption, you'll have a certificate for that exemption. Ebay has a way to file that certificate so you'll no longer be charged tax. It's the same certificate you have to show to be tax exempt when you make a purchase at a brick and mortar store. If you don't have that certificate, you're not tax exempt.

Message 15 of 64
latest reply