cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Payments on Buy it Now/Offers

I have decided after more than 15 years that I will no longer purchase from ebay. My preferred method of payment on eBay is paypal. My preferred method of payment on PayPal is my PayPal credit. Three times out of the last five purchases, PayPal has ignored my online purchase method of payment and taking money directly out of my checking account. This is due to eBay's new rule for automatic payments when you purchase something in buy it now or you make an offer. Instead of choosing which payment method you would like to use, it just automatically takes it out. This would be no problem if PayPal removed the payment from the correct preferred online purchase. EBay blames it on PayPal and PayPal blames it on ebay. EBay says that they made this rule so that sellers get their money instead of having to wait for it. I have absolutely no issue making an immediate payment however, I would like to choose where that money is coming from and PayPal is not allowing me to do so. They are just taking the money from whatever account they feel like taking it out of. My bank has removed and blocked PayPal from taking money out of any of my bank accounts however, in order to pay my PayPal credit card or my PayPal mastercard, they need to link my bank to it. So this is just a huge mess. The easiest way to fix this is just to not purchase from eBay at all anymore. It's no great loss considering that sellers are charging astronomical amounts for shipping unnecessarily.

Message 1 of 91
latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

I have 3 paypal accounts, only one has been used exclusively for ebay since the beginning. My first automatic payment went to the wrong account

Message 61 of 91
latest reply

what happens when I have a gift card or coupon?

Message 62 of 91
latest reply

This whole change is incredibly stupid. Gift cards and PP Credit are utterly useless now for anything except BIN--and BIN is inflated, especially for what I use ebay for. To that smug "i CaNt mAkE yOu uNdeRstAnD" clown replying to you, literally nobody is overpaying (often drastically) on a BIN just to use their preferred method of payment. That's insanity and you sure wouldn't be fine with doing it either so I fail to see why you replied with that as some sort of gotcha. I have had my account for 13 years, with 100% feedback as both a buyer and seller. I should be given the benefit of the doubt to pay promptly how I want, as I always have. Those who have non payment dings on their account, do this for THEM....

I will be following suit and no longer purchasing from ebay. 

Message 63 of 91
latest reply

Don't forget Ebay Gift Cards which you also can't use When you have opted into preauthorized payments.

Message 64 of 91
latest reply

@beaufordkid wrote:

I will be following suit and no longer purchasing from ebay. 

You mean following suit of the OP, who said she was done buying on eBay back on October 17th, but has "past month" feedback from sellers thanking her for her purchases?  🤣

Message 65 of 91
latest reply

More lawsuits will come of this.. I say by early next year they disable

this new automatic pay service it violates a few laws i know of

Message 66 of 91
latest reply

My guess is they're only making purchases not requiring auto-pay. I've done the same and hit the back button every time I see that pop up for offers. Thankfully I'm not affected with auctions yet but that could end all of a sudden too.

Message 67 of 91
latest reply

Probably.  But that's very different from what she actually said in her post.  
First sentence: "I have decided after more than 15 years that I will no longer purchase from ebay."
Then toward the bottom: "The easiest way to fix this is just to not purchase from eBay at all anymore."
Call me crazy but I would think "at all" means not even non-autopay items.  

Just to reiterate my position, I don't disagree one iota that auto-pay was a terrible idea, and is being executed even more terribly than in theory.  But crying wolf about taking all of one's money completely from the platform cannot help to reverse the decision one iota either.  

Message 68 of 91
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

..  taking all of one's money completely from the platform cannot help to reverse the decision one iota either.  

Buyers voicing their decision to find happiness purchasing elsewhere does impact decisions, since fvf 's remain a significant revenue stream .

Message 69 of 91
latest reply

You cut off the beginning of that sentence "But crying wolf about ..." 
As in, saying you're not going to spend money here anymore ..... but then spending money here.  All that impacts is funny bones.  ESPECIALLY after how rude she got to so many other members here. -Check out her replies if you haven't already, or forgot.  But after all that, she was just bluffing.  Just like all the "After 20 years as a seller here, I'm DONE" seller posts, but their listings stay up.  

Screen Shot 2023-12-30 at 7.12.44 PM.png

Message 70 of 91
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

But after all that, she was just bluffing.  Just like all the "After 20 years as a seller here, I'm DONE" seller posts, but their listings stay up

Does it carry more weight if a user included having advised ebay to close their account so as to not be deemed  as " just bluffing "?

The effective date for implementation of her decision appears unknown, & would be at her convenience.

Message 71 of 91
latest reply

An account that made few enough purchases that there are only 9 feedbacks in the past year?  I doubt that any Community post has ever carried a feather's weight of difference in eBay's decisions about anything.  Matter of fact, as far as they're concerned this is the "safest" place for member grievances and departure announcements to be aired, real or bluffing.  Here the discussions are contained to people who are already platform members, and can be closed to further comments for any ostensible reason, like "due to the age of the thread" even if lively conversations are still ongoing.  That's opposed to discussions in other social media platforms, where potential new buyers and sellers can be influenced toward or against signing up for new accounts, and the discussions can remain active indefinitely.   

This Community is a truly wonderful place to get help with things if/when a situation can be helped.  And people tried to offer that to the OP, but all it did was make her angrier.  Anger, as I see it, is the fastest growing addiction in Western society.  I'm not talking about protest -that's a whole other thing; that can be proactive if done right.  But just making a spectacle of bitterness is pointless and self-destructive.  

Message 72 of 91
latest reply

The point is the auto payments allowed me to stay use pay in 3 or PayPal credit as before you confirmed make offer it directed you to PayPal  to choose how to pay now all of a sudden no option did not divert to paypal checkout but sent the offer then I got charged in full no option to pay in 3 no diversion made to paypal first  so if you cannot see that's what complaints are about buyer no longer gets choice of how to buy when offer is taken in full payment  

Message 73 of 91
latest reply

Not helpful. Zip it 

Message 74 of 91
latest reply

Had the same problem at least a dozen times when I wanted to use a certain card that got more points.

More recent I hade a discount code but couldn't use it on make offer for the same reason. It's **bleep** 

Message 75 of 91
latest reply