cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Payments on Buy it Now/Offers

I have decided after more than 15 years that I will no longer purchase from ebay. My preferred method of payment on eBay is paypal. My preferred method of payment on PayPal is my PayPal credit. Three times out of the last five purchases, PayPal has ignored my online purchase method of payment and taking money directly out of my checking account. This is due to eBay's new rule for automatic payments when you purchase something in buy it now or you make an offer. Instead of choosing which payment method you would like to use, it just automatically takes it out. This would be no problem if PayPal removed the payment from the correct preferred online purchase. EBay blames it on PayPal and PayPal blames it on ebay. EBay says that they made this rule so that sellers get their money instead of having to wait for it. I have absolutely no issue making an immediate payment however, I would like to choose where that money is coming from and PayPal is not allowing me to do so. They are just taking the money from whatever account they feel like taking it out of. My bank has removed and blocked PayPal from taking money out of any of my bank accounts however, in order to pay my PayPal credit card or my PayPal mastercard, they need to link my bank to it. So this is just a huge mess. The easiest way to fix this is just to not purchase from eBay at all anymore. It's no great loss considering that sellers are charging astronomical amounts for shipping unnecessarily.

Message 1 of 80
latest reply
79 REPLIES 79

PayPal and eBay are separate companies.

eBay cannot tell PayPal how to allocate funds.

eBay doesnt even see your payment information - it is done by the payment processing company.

Sounds to me like PayPal has the issue.

I wont address the shipping issue because people who dont sell or ship have no idea what the costs are and that inflation didnt shop at the gas or grocery stores.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 2 of 80
latest reply

As both a buyer and a seller, I am 100% happy with automatic payments. 

As a seller

I have IPR so payment has to be made prior to the item being considered sold but I also have b.o. options on all my listings. Having buyers' payment set up ahead of time, I know that if I accept an offer or if I counter and the buyer accepts my counteroffer, I WILL get paid for that item without having to wait.

As a buyer

My payment is in the system and I don't have to worry about going back in after a seller accepts my offer to "pay now." The seller knows that I'm serious in my offer and once they accept, I own it, they're paid and my item will be coming to me. 

I don't get all the complaints about automatic payments! Why BIN or make an offer if you need time to decide if you really want it, want to decide how you're going to pay or if you need time to save the money in order to pay? 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 80
latest reply

Well that's great for you. However, I don't have an issue with paying immediately. What I have an issue with is PayPal taking money out of my checking account without my permission when my preferred method of payment is my PayPal credit. And the reason for this is because of eBay doing automatic payments now. And I have seen several complaints on the same issue. I have always paid immediately, however PayPal also has a rule that with automatic payments, they can choose which account they would like to take it out of. I have gone back and forth between eBay and PayPal about this for a week now. So, that's great that you're happy with it, however, I am not. And I refuse to purchase on eBay anymore. I can explain it to you but I can't make you understand it... apparently you have comprehension issues because you said that you don't understand what the problem is yet I have explained it in my OP and now I'm explaining it again

Message 4 of 80
latest reply

Why not forget the offer and just buy the item, then you can choose how you want to pay.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 80
latest reply

I do know exactly what it cost to ship items on Ebay as I have sold on eBay and other platforms as well. So I don't need to be schooled on inflation. If people choose to go galavanting around at thrift stores or wherever it is that they buy these goods to sell, that should go into the selling price, not the shipping price. So your argument is invalid. As far as eBay and they're automatic payments go, eBay was fine without automatic payments, now they do automatic payments and PayPal is adding to the problem.

Message 6 of 80
latest reply

@rochesterny2014 wrote:

<snip> I can explain it to you but I can't make you understand it... apparently you have comprehension issues because you said that you don't understand what the problem is yet I have explained it in my OP and now I'm explaining it again

Wow, just so unnecessary for you to write this to someone. This is a discussion forum....

Message 7 of 80
latest reply

Because a lot of times, seller will accept a lower amount if you make an offer.

Message 8 of 80
latest reply

Actually it's not unnecessary because the person that replied to my original post said the same exact thing. That they could explain it but they can't make me understand it. So I was just saying exactly the same thing. If you read the entire thread, maybe you would have seen it. Maybe you didn't read the entire thread.

Message 9 of 80
latest reply

Can you not go into your PayPal Wallet, select 'PayPal Credit' and save it as your 'Preferred method when paying online'? For what it's worth... I just tested it and it allows me to.

Message 10 of 80
latest reply

Yes that's what I did, however with PayPal Credit being my preferred method of payment, when it's an automatic payment coming from ebay, PayPal has the right to reserve how they want to make the payment. For instance, I purchased three different items from the same seller. I made offers on each item. Two of those payments came out of my PayPal credit and the third payment was taken out of my checking account. When I called PayPal to find out why, they said that they reserve the right to pick and choose what payment method they would like to use for automatic payments. They said if they also said if there was no automatic payments, this would not be an issue. This has happened to me three times out of the last five purchases on ebay. So PayPal credit is my preferred method of payment and has been for months. But, instead of PayPal using PayPal credit as my online preferred method of payments, for eBay buy it now or offer purchases which use automatic payments, they get to pick and choose how they want it paid. So eBay created the issue and PayPal is just adding to the problem. So my solution to the problem is to just not purchase eBay products anymore.

Message 11 of 80
latest reply

@lamber9347 wrote:

@rochesterny2014 wrote:

<snip> I can explain it to you but I can't make you understand it... apparently you have comprehension issues because you said that you don't understand what the problem is yet I have explained it in my OP and now I'm explaining it again

Wow, just so unnecessary for you to write this to someone. This is a discussion forum....

The OP has proven how appropriate my signature is and how it's so applicable to many of the discussions here! 

Thank you @rochesterny2014 for proving my point. 🙂

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 12 of 80
latest reply

Well, I see your issue, then. I wasn't aware that PayPal could juke you on the back end. Dang...

Message 13 of 80
latest reply

I purchased three different items from the same seller. I made offers on each item.

@rochesterny2014 

PayPal credit, or PayPal Pay in 4 is not an option with you are participating in the new auto-pay for offers.  Interesting that they let you use it for two items and not the third even though your selected your preferred option in PayPal before using it as your DEFAULT payment method.   How did you like paying full shipping price for those instead of being able to combine shipping?  

Good thing you did not want to use Google Pay, Apple Pay, Spendable Funds, etc. because they are not allowed either.  

Message 14 of 80
latest reply

Exactly. And eBay knowing that this is an issue with PayPal isn't doing anything to fix the problem since they created it to begin with. I understand people selling on eBay and wanting to get their money, hell, I sold on eBay for a long time but people are going to do what they're going to do. But yeah, this is what PayPal is doing and eBay is not putting any stipulations on PayPal as far as this goes either. PayPal's going to get their money no matter what. And so is eBay so neither one of them care. So I'm just not going to engage with eBay.

Message 15 of 80
latest reply