cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About tracking numbers

I bought an item from a seller. He shows it as shipped. But he still has not given me the tracking number. What should I do?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

About tracking numbers

Be patient and aware seller's do not have to provide you with a tracking number, some don't use tracking at all.

As a buyer I just don’t understand this obsession with tracking an item you purchase. I buy a product, I see the shipping estimate, I wait for my parcel to arrive. I don’t care how many different parts of the country my parcel may visit, so long as I receive it. If a few days have passed beyond the estimated delivery date, I check my purchased item in my history and see if a tracking number has been uploaded – if yes I will check it out, if not I give it another day or so and claim INR.

If it arrives later, I contact seller and organise payment into their Paypal or bank account.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

About tracking numbers

Yours seems like an excellent way to handle the situation where a buyer doesn't see a tracking #.

Hope lots of us will read it and take note.  

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

About tracking numbers

Sellers aren't required to furnish tracking numbers to buyers.  If the item hasn't arrived by the final day of the estimated delivery period you may file an INR dispute the following day.  However, I might suggest giving a bit of extra time since I'm not sure of how efficient your country's postal system and customs department are.

I would urge all buyers & sellers to familiarize themselves with the terms and conditions of eBay's MBG.  In addition, it would be beneficial for members to review the User Agreement that you all agreed to when joining the site.  I realize that all of eBay's changes to it makes it a bit hard to keep up to date with it.

I believe that it is especially important for members from Sri Lanka not only follow the above suggestions but to also review their government's laws and regulations regarding selling internationally and banking regulations.  It is also important that both buyers & sellers check with their banks regarding use of their debit cards to pay for international purchases.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

About tracking numbers

@downunder-61 wrote:

As a buyer I just don’t understand this obsession with tracking an item you purchase. I buy a product, I see the shipping estimate, I wait for my parcel to arrive.

I've had "porch pirate" issues in my neighborhood, so I track every single order I purchase to make sure I am right there when it is delivered.

We don't all have the same experiences you have.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

About tracking numbers

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

@downunder-61 wrote:

As a buyer I just don’t understand this obsession with tracking an item you purchase. I buy a product, I see the shipping estimate, I wait for my parcel to arrive.

I've had "porch pirate" issues in my neighborhood, so I track every single order I purchase to make sure I am right there when it is delivered.

If one is having a serious issue with porch pirates in one's neighborhood, it may be wise to rent a mail box at one of the shipping service stores or a PO Box at the post office. 

Of course, one should let their local city officials, police department etc. that you expect action to reduce or eliminate the problem.  Enough pressure from you and your neighbors on elected city officials may work wonders.  This is especially true if enough is put on politicians coming up for re-election.

Of course, with the OP being in Sri Lanka, I'm not sure how effective putting pressure on their government officials might be.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

About tracking numbers

When did you make the purchase? Give it a few days before contacting the seller.  Do you have reason to doubt the seller’s veracity?

If the seller purchased his shipping label from eBay, then tracking will be automatically uploaded to the purchase details. If it does not appear there, don’t panic. Most sellers use tracking as eBay monitors seller shipping activity. (A seller must meet certain standards to remain on the platform.) Send the seller a polite note asking for it if it doesn’t appear in the purchase details after a reasonable time has passed. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

About tracking numbers

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

@downunder-61 wrote:

Oh, I quite agree, however I can only speak to my experience as I haven't had yours.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 8 of 8
latest reply