cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

caring for/cleaning buttons

What's the best method to use to clean collectible buttons? I have some bakelite ones that have discolorations that are not part of the original design? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

kickotto, I sure hope someone comes along to answer your question because I would like to know too! I realize that the only way I am going to add to my button collection is to go to the local farm auctions. I am slow to bid higher at some of these because the button look very dirty and since I am new at this ~ I don't really know my buttons. Can someone recommend a web page or book to help me out?
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

purple-peg, Thank you, thank you.... I have spent several hour searching the Internet and couldn't find any sites like this. What a great site! Now I just have to win some buttons and learn what kind of buttons that they are ~ LOL.
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

webbuying
Enthusiast
I use simichrome polish and it has been very successful for me.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

lizzies465a
Enthusiast
Thanks, Peg! I'd been hunting for a good cleaning resource.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

weavingwheaten
Enthusiast
Can you recommend a good storage method? How should they be stored? In what kind of container?
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

When buttons that are really bakelite (rather matte surface not too shiny) are discolored, sometimes it's down into the plastic. Some feel this is caused by using caustic home cleaners to test them (ie "Scrubbing Bubbles" made for cleaning bathrooms and certainly not suitable to put on plastics, in my opinion). But, that discoloration can be caused by other things such as being stored with metals and in contact with rust. Simichrome can clean them well without damage and is also a good way to test. With a white cloth, you should see some of the patina show up which usually looks a yellowish-tobacco-stain color on the cloth. -Carol C-
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

About storage, if your buttons are celluloid, keep them in an open container. Collectors will usually mount these buttons on an acid-free matt board available at art stores, same kind used for framing. Bakelite can be stored in closed contiainers, but not with metals as they can rust and discolor the plastic. If you store any plastics in a closed container, open it and smell something strong, you probably have celluloids mixed in. Many mistake bakelite and celluloid rather easily. -Carol C-
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

weavingwheaten
Enthusiast
Thank you for the information! Can you explain Vegetable Ivory?
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Thanks For the info and the contact it's great. Nice to know the information is out there. nan260
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Vegetable Ivory is the meat of the Tagua or Corozo nut from Palms in South America. Dyes did not penetrate below the first layer of this material. When ever a button was cut the original ivory color showed. the sewing holes were cut after dying so you can see the difference. Hope this helps.nan
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Just a word about veg. ivory buttons, there are other materials that imitate that look. I've seen more than one celluloid on a veg. ivory competition tray. Cut just the same as veg. ivory. I can tell the difference and most collectors can, so it always surprises me when I see seasoned collectors including celluloids on such a tray. I look for the grain in the material and some veg. ivory buttons have little marks on the back referred to as "chatter marks". If you hot point test, it's really easy to tell the difference. Veg. ivory smells like nut shells, whereas celluloid will melt quick, give a poof of smoke and smell awful. Check the photo albums. I'll add some examples of vegetable ivory buttons so you can get an idea what they look like. -CC-
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

vinnylouise
Enthusiast
i washed some dirty shell buttons in palmolive dish washing detergent and they look terrible. does anyone have a suggestion to make them look better than the dull look that they now have????
Message 14 of 14
latest reply