cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WOW! I'm glad I found you!

gadget61cats
Enthusiast
G'day everyone. I just found this group while searching for button clubs. I didn't know ebay had groups; this is great! I'm just learning about buttons and would love to join a club. You might be my best bet. I'm originally from Salem Oregon, but now live in Australia. According to one search I did, there are only two clubs in this country, and there is no way I can attend. Look at it this way...the distance for me to get to these clubs would be like me living in Oregon and having to go to LA. So, I thought I might try the source of everything...the good old US of A. I want to learn more about buttons, and see if the few that I have are what I think they are; like paperweights. I do have some good reference books, which I bought on ebay from the States. So that really helps. There are alot of buttons being bought and sold on ebay Australia at the moment. I did sell some, but wanted to be more educated before I sold more. Anyway, I'll shut up now; there are of course things to do, least of all button sorting. So, hello to all you Americans, (anyone not from USA?) and I'll check in from time to time. Look forward to being part of the crowd. Sandy from Gunnedah, the Koala Capitol of the World.
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Hey Sandy: Glad you found this group. There's a lot of button stuff going on all over the internet these days. Many US members find clubs to join right online as they are in your same position, too far from a live club to join. I and many who visit this board are members of an online button club called ButtonBytes, we "meet" via e-mail thru Google Groups. I can send you some information on how to join that group if you like. We even have button swaps and sales every week and do a lot of button study. We have a few members from Australia, so you never know, they might live somewhere near you. Feel free to e-mail me for information on the ButtonBytes Club, it's open to everyone approved by the moderator and she approves all who ask as far as I know. -Carol C-
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

gadget61cats
Enthusiast
hi carol, thanks so much. yes, i'd like the info, that would be great. isn't the internet wonderful!!! have a great day. sandy
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I too have been searching for a place to learn more about buttons!! I started collecting a few months ago and am amazed at all the information you can learn about buttons! I especially like the vintage ...victorian black glass is really awesome! I make button bracelets and sell them at small shops in my area... Minnesota. I did list one bracelet today in my ebay store....but I am not sure that ebay is the place for one of a kind hand made items. Sometimes I am not sure??? Anyhow...I am thrilled to have found this group! I hope to learn tons!!! In Christ, Carolyn
Live with Passion.....
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Hi, everyone, I have been lurking for a bit hoping to learn more about buttons also. I had the opportunity to be in Berkely Ca a couple of years ago, and happened upon a tiny little button shop operated by an elderly man who was a button salesman in his younger days. He has an entire shop just stuffed full of antique buttons of all kinds - lots of them on original paper cards. He had handmade buttons, one I recall was made by a man in Alaska out of horn. I sat in the floor going through buttons for an hour and I WAS HOOKED!!! I bought a few and wish I had gotten more. I'm now like a Magpie that likes shiny buttons. Is there maybe a certain book I could buy that would help learn about these little wonders? Linda
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

If anyone would like to be considered for memership in the online button club "ButtonBytes", it's a Google Group, here's a link I think will work, you should find ButtonBytes at the top of this page: http://groups.google.com/groups?q=buttons There will be a lot of e-mail associated with this group but you can easily shut it off for a while or elect to get the communications in a "digest" form so your e-mail doesn't overflow. There are rules to the group you'll be asked to read and follow but it's fun and is one of the few online clubs recognized by the National Button Society. I'm on there as "carolc@vintagebuttons.net"
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Hi Linda: I lived in the Bay Area for years, never found that shop in Berkeley but if I had I would have been just as excited as you were. What a great find. Have you been to Britex in San Francisco, it's awesome too. -Carol-
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Hello everyone. I inherited a bunch of buttons and bought some, I just dable in it. I mostly make jewelry. Hi Sandy, I'm from Saskatchewan Canada. :) Lana 🙂
 photo c0aee6c4-b992-4827-ae05-e33ad59c80ce_zpscc7c71c6.jpg
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

emlace3
Enthusiast
Hi Sandy: I too am in Australia. Perhaps we can exchange ideas about buttons!! I'm Sarah, live in Bunbury, WA. If you have information to share I would welcome it. Perhaps we can exchange e-mail address.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply