cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shall we introduce ourselves?

It might be fun to introduce ourselves. I am not so much a button "collector" (which implies a certain degree of organization I have yet to attain) as I am a gatherer, accumulator, hoarder, keeper of buttons. I love these little bits of history and art. My favorites include BIG buttons and I have a boxful that are each over 2" in diameter, of various materials.
Message 1 of 87
latest reply
86 REPLIES 86

Hi all, I'm Cynthia a newbie in the button collecting world. I just discovered antique/vintage buttons and I find myself doing searches here now on a regular basis! I'm not sure what my plan is or what I'm looking for......I'm just intrigued and fascinated by them. Oh, happy new year!
Message 61 of 87
latest reply

alevotker, I did approve an image of your silver buttons in the photo gallery. The other posts that followed did not work, but one image did. Those are great buttons. They do look old indeed. Can you explain the front design? Your image is good but a tiny bid out of focus. =Carol=
Message 62 of 87
latest reply

Welcome new members! Happy New Year everyone!
Message 63 of 87
latest reply

Hi all, I'm Carolyn and like a lot of you I have buttons that I have no earthly idea of the where, what, when, and how's of them. I really need a button buddy. I know I should go to my local button society meetings but I am not someone that can be with a lot of people at once, I have had panic attacks. I think it would be great if we started a "swap meet". Lots of times I buy several buttons alike, I only want one of them for my collection so I put the rest in a drawer. (I have lots of drawers and thousands of buttons.) I don't know about selling on ebay but would be fun to swap with friends. AND, I hope these friends would be honest with all who don't have a lot of knowledge about what they have. A honest button buddy would be a buddy for life. What do you all think of this idea?
Message 64 of 87
latest reply

Hello! My name is Jonelle and I have been fascinated with buttons since my grandma sat me down with a basket of buttons and asked me to sort them for her...many many years ago! I love carved celluloid buttons and although I don't do competitions I am in the "search and rescue" mode - that all vintage buttons deserve to be recycled! It is my GREEN mission to try and keep them from garbage bins! I love sorting buttons and reselling them on ebay...it is my life...it is my love and now it is my only income! I so enjoy finding the perfect match of buyer with buttons needing that special person! If its for competition, jewelry making, costume design or just to run your fingers through like the "Giant" in Jonelle and the Buttonstalk yelling BUTTONS MY BUTTONS! ;-) Im so glad an ebay button group has been created! Thank you!
Message 65 of 87
latest reply

Hello Everyone, I'm so glad to be here. I've been strolling through the photo albums and see such a wonderful mix of vintage and hand crafted buttons there. Thanks to everyone who posted photos. I am known as Yan to all my group friends. My fascination with buttons came later in my life. It all began when a friend had trays and trays full of buttons he took to area flea markets. Due to his moving out of area he sold me every tray he had. Once I got them home and started to sort through them I was hooked for life! :-D Most of what I've collected since then are not fancy nor are they rare. I don't even know how to distinguish some of the different plastics I have. My joy is just sifting through my buttons and rediscovering them every so often. Some have been used in craft projects over the years. Friends know my love of buttons and have generously handed them over when they come across old buttons. I am always thrilled to receive them. I am hoping to learn more about the different kinds of buttons others collect and how to tell their ages and what they are made of. -- Warmest Regards, Yan
Warmest Regards,
Yan
Message 66 of 87
latest reply

Photobucket I just wanted to touch base with this group and say happy Valentines Day to you all! The temp dropped here to to -30C, crazy weather this year!! -- Photobucket
 photo c0aee6c4-b992-4827-ae05-e33ad59c80ce_zpscc7c71c6.jpg
Message 67 of 87
latest reply

Hi all! I'm Carolyn from Missouri. It's been over 3,000 buttons since I last posted:-D. Button collecting is the most interesting and amazing hobby! REALLY, I did NOT know that Prince Albert was the husband of Queen Victoria. I'll swear the only Prince Albert I knew of was tobacco. Nice to meet you! See you in "Discussions"
Message 68 of 87
latest reply

Hello there all, I'm Joyce from Northern California, just north of San Francisco. I've always loved buttons, and have a jar that were my grandma's. And then I met an elderly lady who was a seamstress who came to the US in late 40's and brought all of her button stock with her, and since she is retiring I bought a lot of it..vintage totally new buttons..So I am intrigued with them, learning what they are, some she identified for me, but arrgh..lots to learn..I must join a button club..love these small pieces of art and history..
Message 69 of 87
latest reply

Hi, I'm Pat from the Chicago area. Buttons is just one of the things I collect/sell. I have a lot of them but have not listed any recently. Some came from my mother's collection and others I have found at sales etc. It seems to take a lot of time to group them and identify also. I have a couple of button books and when I list I usually search for my buttons there. Have buttons that I think are Bakelite and have tried the Scrubbing Bubbles test on them but that is also time-consuming. I hope to get them organized so that I can list them more easily. Also unless they are real unusual this may not be the time to sell. I do love them though but have way too many to keep. Pat
Message 70 of 87
latest reply

Hello Pat! I am Keith I have a few beautiful buttons and have been able to find similar ones on the internet. However last week I bought a box of jewelry that all needed repair so I didn't pay much. In the bottom I found this fantastic little button and can't find anything like it and would love to know where it was made and what the value is. I think she looks Art Nouveau. Any help would be appreciated. Best regards, Keith Easily diatracted by sparkling or shiny objects! http://www.jktex.net/
Message 71 of 87
latest reply

1meandyou
Enthusiast
judy from usa and george
Message 72 of 87
latest reply

hey!, I'm Chris and I live in NW Ohio. Interested in hearing from other button collectors in my area! Thanks-!!
Message 73 of 87
latest reply

Hi - I'm Jackie from NE Ohio and like the rest of you, I LOVE buttons -- finding them, sorting them, cleaning them, and accumulating them. I am particularly fond of the old Czech glass ones, rhinestone and metals. Anything sparkly! My all time favorite button is an exact replica of a peanut (shell on) that I found at a dressmaker's estate sale. Fun to know there are others who share the same passion!
Message 74 of 87
latest reply

Hello everyone this group has been real quiet.

photo c0aee6c4-b992-4827-ae05-e33ad59c80ce_zpscc7c71c6.jpg
Message 75 of 87
latest reply