cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shall we introduce ourselves?

It might be fun to introduce ourselves. I am not so much a button "collector" (which implies a certain degree of organization I have yet to attain) as I am a gatherer, accumulator, hoarder, keeper of buttons. I love these little bits of history and art. My favorites include BIG buttons and I have a boxful that are each over 2" in diameter, of various materials.
Message 1 of 87
latest reply
86 REPLIES 86

Hi I am a lampworker.At a recent craft fair I was approached by several members of a local bead collectors group asking me if I made buttons, At that time I had to confess I had never thought of making any.With their encouragement I am starting to make buttons and will be selling them at a local craft co-op as well as to members of the group directly. I have been searching ebay looking for a place to list newly made lampwork buttons with brass shanks. The only ones I have found so far are ones that are in the vintage section and I would not want to be guilty of appearing to mislead anyone. I came here hoping that perhaps someone here might be able to help me with this. I have only made a few buttons so far but do plan to be expanding in this direction. thank you for any help elise
elise
~a controlled pyromaniac ~

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass..
It's about learning to dance in the rain"
Message 46 of 87
latest reply

Hello All, I collected buttons in a jar as a child, then with the death of my great aunt I inherited all of hers...she was a spinster who still wore hooked boots, did tatting, and did lots of sewing. I now collect buttons still, sterling spoons, create art, cross stitch and am addicted to both buying and selling on Ebay. Hope to learn a thing or two! Christine
Message 47 of 87
latest reply

Hi Elsie & Christine, Welcome to the group. Elsie it's ok to list your new lampworked buttons in the Vintage Sewing: Buttons category. Even though they are new, it is understood by collectors that new buttons are likely to be shown there. We tried to make age-specific sub-categories in that listing area but that idea was roundly rejected by sellers who often have no clue what age the buttons they come upon are and it was also understood that people will list new buttons in any age category they feel like it so why fight it? Studio buttons, such as the ones you make would be a welcome addition to the Vintage Sewing: Buttons category, just say they are NEW and no one can complain. Be sure to use the term "Studio Button" in your listing title, this is a whole class of new buttons made by artists which are highly sought and collected. Christine, do your buttons a favor and get them out of the jar. Any old celluloids in there can really get smelly being jarred up and can go to ruin by crystalizing and falling apart. -Carol C-
Message 48 of 87
latest reply

alevtoker
Enthusiast
I'm a button collector, I'm using in ribbon embroidery. (How can I use them, you can see www.alevtoker.com) When you place buttons and objects in the crazy quit you might come up with the unusual combinations and designs. As time goes by, you will start gaining a different approach with the buttons, seeing them as a fancy supply in your art and you will start inventing variety of uses. Now, time has come to start collecting these colorful, small, magic objects - maybe even same antique pieces from your grand, grandmother's "hope chest box". Finally, you will feel happiness and the sparkles in your eyes will be noticed by everyone!
Message 49 of 87
latest reply

Lovely work, those handbags are to die for. You are in Istanbul? Wow!! -Carol C-
Message 50 of 87
latest reply

missmike4u
Enthusiast
Hi everyone, my name is Michele. I started collecting about 10 years ago. I would get a new batch of buttons at yard, estate, or moving sales. Then, I would look them over, see what I had, then put them away. That is what I did for most of the years. At this time, I'm trying to learn what I have, but don't have a lot of time to do it. Once in a while, I put a few on eBay to see what happens. I have not even had time to separate them; I tried once or twice, but there are too many. I like looking at other's, button pictures to see if I have anything like it. This is my FAV eBay community group. Too many buttons and not enough time 🙂
Message 51 of 87
latest reply

Ha, I know what you mean. I just keep buying buttons when there are boxes full in my "back bedroom" which I haven't been able to use for its intended purpose for a long time. Accumulating buttons can be habit forming! The neat thing about putting them on eBay is seeing whether they really are anything good or not. This is not to say that every good button gets a bid, sometimes they don't. But, generally when someone new is listing buttons and they look nice, they get bids. People don't need to know everything about buttons or even a little to list and sell successfully. The bidders know their stuff. Just try to show fronts, backs and give sizes or put something in the image that will help them figure out the sizes. I know it's not possible to give back shots of buttons when you have a whole batch of them, but with a few, show the backs. I learned this the hard way. I bid on some mosaic buttons on one of those live auction things that keep advertising in the button category. They said the items were buttons. When I got the lot I won, and paid a lot of money for, a few of the pieces were earrings and the few buttons in the lot were made up from some other items, probably old earrings. I wasn't happy about that. The auction house didn't show the backs and I just took their word for it that they were buttons. Bad idea. Trust, but verify! Show potential buyers all you can so they feel comfortable bidding, put yourself in their shoes and you can't go wrong. -Carol C-
Message 52 of 87
latest reply

Carol thank you for the advice. IN the next few weeks I will be listing some.. elise
elise

Message 53 of 87
latest reply

Let us know when you list. I'm changing the policy here, I want people to show what buttons they have listed on eBay. So send along links to your auctions but let's start a new thread "eBay Listings" and another "eBay Ending Today", how's that sound? -Carol-
Message 54 of 87
latest reply

Thank you I will let you know.. all of the butotns I have made up to now sold yesterday at a local button collecotrs meeting. I am planning to have some torch time later this week when off work again.. I am familiar with the type of thread yuou have started and will be glad to be able to use them.. thanks again elise
elise

Message 55 of 87
latest reply

4721pam
Enthusiast
hi i am pam i fell into buttons by accident my hubby bought a box with 4 gallon jars full of vintage buttons so now i have alot of buttons to look at so i think i should learn about the buttons
Message 56 of 87
latest reply

missmike4u
Enthusiast
My test did work, if you click on my name in blue, it will bring you to my buttons; nice! I'm finally trying to get some out; but still need to learn A LOT. I still have no clue about price and can't afford the BIG BOOK. I always bid for it, but can only go so far. One day, I'll just bump into one at a yard sale; yeah right, and I'll win the lottery too 🙂 Michele
Message 57 of 87
latest reply

alevtoker
Enthusiast
I'm late, yes Carol I'm from Istanbul Thank's
Message 58 of 87
latest reply

alevtoker
Enthusiast
Hi, My old silver buttons picture under this address http://www.alevtoker.com/dugmelergrubu/tree002.jpg http://www.alevtoker.com/dugmelergrubu/tree003.jpg I couldn't arrange in photo album, if somebody helps me, I'm glad with my best whishes
Message 59 of 87
latest reply

Hi everyone my username is foggynighty and my name is Nara. I have been collecting buttons for probably about 6 years. I have sold a few and learned a lot in this time mostly through the use of books. Some buttons that I really treasure belonged to a friend of the family who died last year. Her name was Doris and she was 90 years old, before she died she gave my husband and I her buttons. She had no close family. The most special ones are the pearls from her mothers wedding dress. What a sweet lady. Thats all for now, what a fun group.
Message 60 of 87
latest reply