cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Member, sayin' Hi!

Hey gang, Todd Runfeldt AKA antlercarv here. I am a longtime carver. I have sold a few things on ebay in the past, but now I'm jumping in with both feet. In fact simple usable antler buttons were among my first products. I am a bit new to 'collectors buttons'. I was surprised when I discovered that collectibles don't need to be stout or even practical for use as buttons:) It is allowing me to work in ways that I haven't been able to as a jewelry carver. I am going crazy carving designs that I had never seriously considered before, and I am very gratified and fulfilled to find that collectors are willing to invest in a fine miniature sculpture. I want people to let me know what kind of carved shanks they like, dislike, etc. Practical details. I like to create recessed shanks, but I don't know if that affects the way they will hang on a display. I know that there are a multitude of categories for some button shows, but I don't know what they are. Hope you folks will clue me in. Thanks, Todd the Carver
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

New Member, sayin' Hi!

Hi Todd making buttons is fun and its so creative the ideas are endless. I still dont have the list for this year. I use to belong to the button society but dont know hope to again. email the moderator she will send you the link for the button society. the list of subjects is in the Dec 04 issue you can join only 15 or 20 bucks a year and ask them for a copy of the December O4 issue. I am not sure about the shanks either someone more knowledgeable should chime in. you could also do a search for other buttons and see how they are doing their shanks. good luck! oh I know they love buttons with moveable parts.....:) seem to bring more I think.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

New Member, sayin' Hi!

Thanks, Cheryl. I have a movable up right now. I've got my fingers crossed. It took me days to make it. My sweetie is getting me in the button society for my birthday. I'm in the Houston area, and they are planning a big event for 2007. I may be there. Love the input, keep it coming! Todd the Carver
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

New Member, sayin' Hi!

Hey Todd I know what you mean about it taking days to make something lol.......I have done some dollhouse miniatures that sometimes they go for alot and sometimes not........Spent 2 days on a heron and it brought 20 bucks. lol... then you might do something that takes 2 days and it brings $100 or more. I guess that is what makes our work so exciting lol My son and I have been invited to sell at the Idaho State Button show in June. Ebay can be scary but at the button show people dont look for bargains as much as they do on ebay and are willing to give you more for your time. I like the excitement the button collectors have sometimes over a button. keeps ya motivated! sorry I took so long to reply. I got back and forth from making dollhouse miniatures to buttons .......
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

New Member, sayin' Hi!

I obviously understand about slow response here. We are busy making tiny things. My dad made doll house furn. and railroad models, I guess I get some of that from him. I get more for my work at art shows, too, so I think when I get a chance to do a button show, it will be similar. I saw some of your tinies, and admired them, and thought, jeeze, it must be worth more than that! Ah, well, we suffer for our art, right? I know a lot of artists, but no rich ones:) Have fun, Todd
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

New Member, sayin' Hi!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am back from my spring tour, and am available to here requests, Todd the Carver
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

New Member, sayin' Hi!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am back from my spring tour, and am available to hear requests, Todd the Carver
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

New Member, sayin' Hi!

Well, It's been a long time since I started this thread! I've been off doing Renfairs and making mostly jewelry for a while now. I've moved into precious metal work, chasing and repusse. Now I've causght the button bug again, and am offering carved antler and bakelite buttons here for a month or so, until my next jewelry show. I may even make some metal buttons, too. Just did a search on myself, and found this old thread, so I thought I'd chime in again:) Let's see how my work has grown. Look forward to having you check me out. Todd The Carver "Antlercarv" or "Todd Runfeldt"

Message 8 of 8
latest reply