cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Button Identification

I'm really new to buttons and need help in identifying them. I bought a book of buttons by Debra Wisnieski (sp?). There are many pretty pictures but it doesn't have any explanation why a particular button is called a victorian or moonglow. What do you call a plastic button that looks like "moonglow"? What constitutes a victorian button? Can someone explain this to me? Also, I'm confused with some buttons that look like the irregular look of MOP from the back but front looks like a perfectly shaped manufactured plastic. Are these MOP?
Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Button Identification

Hi and welcome to button collecting. You've selected a book I always recommend to collectors but I'm sorry to hear that you are finding the terms confusing. There is an older book still in print by Sally Luscomb. I think it's called the "Button Encyclopedia" but it's more like a button dictonary. It tends to explain some of the terms you'll find used in other button books, including Debra Wisniewski's. But, to answer a few of your specific questions: Victorian is a collector term most often applied to buttons made in middle-to-late 1800's, also referred to as the "Victorian Era", after Queen Victoria. Victorian can refer to small two-piece constructed metal buttons or a certain type of molded glass button. Experience and time will make these terms more familiar to you. Moonglow is a specific type of "modern" era glass button which first showed up in the US from W. Germany and Czechoslovakia. It is made from a cane of opaque glass and clear/colorless glass and always has a surface of clear/colorless glass over the opaque glass. Moonglow was the name that came on many of these store carded buttons when they were imported and it stuck with collectors. To see the clear layer, hold your button up to a source of light and rotate it from the side to see if you an spot the layer. There are no "moonglow" plastics. MOP has been largely replaced by plastics for about 20 years now but some nicer clothing lines are back to using real shell for buttons. -Carol C-
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Button Identification

missmike4u
Enthusiast
How about if the buttons are on a card? I noticed that when button ID is in discussion, people say to show the back and the front of the button for the proper ID. If the buttons are on the original card, isn't that enough ID in the photo? Or should a ruler or coin or something still be used? Thanks
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Button Identification

The buttons on the card should be sufficient identification. However, no harm in adding the ruler - there are a few cards which are non regulation size. It's also really helpful to tell the condition of the card and buttons.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Button Identification

Best idea is to actually measure one of the buttons using a ruler or tape measure and state that size in the ad. If you can't show the back, just try to get a look at the back from the side and report what you see. To measure buttons, just measure straight across the top and report that size in inches or increments of inches. Some measure in millimeters to be exact, that's not really necessary with pretty buttons although uniform button sellers often report millimeter sizes. Since many carded buttons are not particularly collectible (too modern or common), buyers are usually individuals who want to use those buttons in crafts, sewing projects, etc. They need to know the actual size of the buttons you are offering rather than guess. Also, if you are measuring a square button, measure it from point to point on the diagonal and report that size.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply