cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

annual ebay shipping cost for tax purposes

Started gathering together all the info I need for tax filing and discovered that it is no longer possible to generate a report from Paypal that summarizes the total annual amount paid to ebay for shipping labels. I even called Paypal to try to find out if there is some mechanism other than the old system of entering keywords to pull out all of the shipping transactions and was told there is not. Has anyone else encountered this problem and has anyone found a solution? I hate to think of the time it will take to go through an entire years worth of sales and add together each shipping label cost one by one!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: annual ebay shipping cost for tax purposes

@kena1956  Have you tried using PayPal's CSV formatted database in their History section?  It has progammable date ranges so you can capture part or all of last year.  You can get it downloaded and it opens in EXEL or other spreadsheet programs.  From there simply sort by columns, one being the transaction type and ALL the shipping you paid will be in one group of cellblocks.  You can either add totaling formulas there or copy the entire section (that's what I do) out to a new spreadsheet and  add formulas accordingly.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@kena1956  Have you tried using PayPal's CSV formatted database in their History section?  It has progammable date ranges so you can capture part or all of last year.  You can get it downloaded and it opens in EXEL or other spreadsheet programs.  From there simply sort by columns, one being the transaction type and ALL the shipping you paid will be in one group of cellblocks.  You can either add totaling formulas there or copy the entire section (that's what I do) out to a new spreadsheet and  add formulas accordingly.

Regards,
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

mr_lincoln - That worked! Thank You very much!
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@kena1956 wrote:
mr_lincoln - That worked! Thank You very much!

Excellent, its a great tool for those who can use it.  If you get in to a Tax ID and rendering sales tax to your state you can sort by the state column and have all of your IN state shipments organized for reporting purposes.

Now, one thing to keep a look out for is when eBay switches to being the Payment Processor with their Adyen contract and accepts payments from Buyers outside of PayPal via all kinds of credit cards ... eBay has been asked but has NOT confirmed that they will offer the same type of database information to Sellers, which quite honestly is stupid because every financial institute keeps transaction info in a database and it should be accessible to the user ... I don't want a bunch of canned statements that I can't manipulate nor do I want to suddenly have to keep track of every transaction, meaning, fill my own database for several accounts when it has already been done for me.

Regards,
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Indeed it is.

You can cull email addresses do evolve a catalog send to list.
I use the "Sumif" function quite a bit with that result: I have to save it to My Documents (My Documents>Business Folder>Current Year as File name) and do the math righton the same sheet. I have a dual screen set up so I can stretch it to fit.

Among other things I have to do is pull out state sales tax numbers. Due next week as it happens. Sumif(Shiptostate column,"=OH",Total Sale column).

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I was in the same dilemma, thank you so much for the solution.  Quick and easy, too!!

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I use Quick Books self employed. Keeps track of everything I need.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

I'm trying to do the same thing but not finding the "history" section.  Where do I find that on Paypal please? Thanks so much for any help!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Reports >  Activity Download >

Choose transaction type = Balance Affecting

Choose Date Range  = From 1/1/2018 to 12/41/2019

Format = CSV

This should generate a workbook for you in data format and tell you when it is complete. Then you down load it and it will open up in a spreadsheet--you may have to tell the computer what program to use.

Once it is open you need to save it as something else so you can play with it.

If all you do is ship for eBay then the formula is =sumif(column of payment description,cell that says ebay shipping,column that says amounts) and in less than a second you have your total shipping paid.

If you ship for more than one venue then repeat as necessary.

the commas in the formula are really important.  The formula will look more like this: =SUMIF(D:D,A3,E:E)

Message 9 of 9
latest reply