cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Types of Books Sell Best on eBay?

I wanted to ask other booksellers: Which types of books sell best on eBay? Paper back or hardcover? Very old books? But also some newer ones, I'm sure?

Any particular subjects that people seem to be most interested in? If non-fiction, which catagories?

If fiction, do bestsellers tend to sell? The ones that made the New York Times best seller list, I mean. Or maybe Oprah's book club, although she doesn't have that anymore. Any other 'book clubs' I should check out? Any particular authors who sell well?

Health and fitness? Diet books? Health and healing? Religion and spirituality? Biographies?

I have an interest in psychology and spirituality, so I tend to collect a lot of books in that catagory. I'm also interested in biographies of musicians and anything music-related or entertainment industy-related. I like old movies, too. I know a lot about music and films.

For several years, I was an assistant to a bookseller who specialized in 1960s counterculture type books, covering everything from psychedelic drugs to Eastern spirituality to vintage beatnik and 'hippie' literature. It was a lot of fun and I learned so much. I read almost every book before we sold it, so I do know a LOT about those types of topics. I also knew another bookseller who specialized in the 'drug antiques' catagory of books. Both of these booksellers did quite well, so I guess a lot of people out there enjoy collecting such books.

This was pre-eBay, though. Each of the sellers had his own catalog of books, which he would send out to his customers on a quarterly basis or so. Some of this was even pre-Internet, so it was VERY difficult to find these types of books anywhere else, except maybe at the local library. These booksellers were able to charge very high prices, due to the rarity of the books. But now whith the Internet, anyone can find anything----and quickly! Now people can also 'comparison shop'.

I know the world is changing and I'm trying to keep pace with it. Do you suggest that I NOT limit myself to a specific 'genre' of books---even a very wide genre?

Thanks for any input on which types of books today's collector's seem to be interested in. I don't know if I want to go out on a limb and sell topics that I really don't know much about, but I also don't want to limit myself too much.

I personally have a pretty broad range of interests, so hopefully that will help.

Thanks so much for any advice! It's great to be able to talk with other booksellers.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Which Types of Books Sell Best on eBay?

Message 31 of 31
latest reply