cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When does a signature reduce the value of a book?

I sold a book a couple of weeks ago. It was a hard cover copy with dust jacket of Oceans of Wisdom: Guidelines for Living by the Dali Lama. 

http://ebay.to/2nzBN7E

The book had a forward by Richard Gere and was signed by the photographer who did photos for the book. The signature was on the front free end paper and was part of an inscription or dedication: "To Barbara may his Holiness' words inspire you Marcia Keegan July 08"

I said the book was signed by the photographer and included a picture of the autograph but gave no further detail in the description concerning this characteristic. I described the book as "Like New" as it was literally in brand new condition.

The buyer after a couple of weeks expressed his dismay because he said there was writing in the book and therefore it could not be like new (I was just reading another post about Ex Lib books and could they be like new).

The buyer and I have agreed to disagree and he claims it was his mistake as he just saw the "like new" description and didn't really look at the picture (duh) until I pointed it out to him after the fact. 

Can this book justificably be graded "like new" or does the dedication make that impossible? Where I am now I can see both sides and can't be sure who is more right.

Michael 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

When does a signature reduce the value of a book?

Just saw your post. Did you mean it to go here?

I think I agree with you whole-heartedly on this. The seller has misrepresented the book he is selling and that is never the best approach.

Michael 

Message 16 of 16
latest reply