cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage Cookbooks Could Be Worth Up to $15,000

"For decades, Julia Child’s cookbooks have enriched home cooking with classic recipes. The same cookbooks can enrich your bank account, too.

In 1961, Child and co-authors Simone Beck and Louisette Bertholle, published “Mastering the Art of French Cooking.” Because it made French cuisine accessible, the cookbook earned Child her own cooking show, “The French Chef,” and was described as having done “more than any other event in the last half century to reshape the gourmet dining scene.” So, yeah, Child’s cookbook is a pretty big deal..."

READ MORE:

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/vintage-cookbooks-sale-prices-36969540

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Vintage Cookbooks Could Be Worth Up to $15,000

While the value is not nearly as much as  Julia Childs, there are several St. Louis area cookbooks that I buy at estate sales for quick resale.  Your city should also have similar favorites.

Miss Hullings Cookbook.  With recipes from a long closed cafeteria, the 1969 hardcover has a very distinctive pink and orange color.  Depending on condition I have sold 6-7 over the years from $25-$125.  There are several other editions that also sell.

Herman German Cooking.  Undated plastic comb bound paperback with deep red covers.  Hard to find in great shape, sells for $25 in decent shape.

Cookbooks from the Italian Hill neighborhood.  There are 2 different versions from the 1990s.  The St. Ambrose Parrish version has a volume has a volume 1 and 2.  Sells quickly.

If I think about it there are others.  Do you have favorites in your town?

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Went to two sales this weekend and found 2 of the 3 cookbooks mentioned above, including a nice Miss Hullings I will list it around $90.  (I did not argue with the $1 price)    Anybody else have high dollar cookbooks from their area?

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I have sold both volumes of the Italian Hill several times as well as the Hullings.

From this area: "Sweet Things and Such, from the Land of the PA Dutch" by Florence Shunk.

Also 3 Italian Community Cookbooks: Hershey Lodge, Reading, and York, with one or both of the last two a Christopher Columbus anniv ed

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

That looks like one of the fake-news posts that scammers make, to create a false appearance of value to allow them to cheat potential sellers.

There have been scams like that claiming a false high-value for CorningWare casserole dishes, older but common coins and stamps, and beanie babies.

True first-edition first-printing copies of Julie Child in good condition probably are worth a fair amount.

But, I'll bet that we see a lot of cookbook sellers from now on, with later reprint editions, who are being/have been duped by scammers with fake payment notices into shipping without payment, and including a couple of hundred dollars worth of gift cards, which are what the scammers are really after.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply