cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maybe you'd like to see this instead...

Today I found a framed vintage print of a women sitting on a ship’s deck rail.  I guess you’d call her a pin-up model in a somewhat skimpy dress – nothing offensive.  It was titled “Ankles Aweigh” and looks to of been done in the 1940’s or 1950’s.  What was interesting about it was the women was sort of reversed embossed on the paper – 3D (not sure what to call it).

Searching eBay I found some small cards with the image and a couple of flat prints, but none with the raised 3D image of the women and the rail she’s sitting on.  I checked completed listings, and saw one of the flat prints had sold – not the same thing I have, but nearly – so I decided to take a closer look and clicked on the sold listing.

Ebay wouldn’t show me the sold listing.  Instead it said something about the item having been sold and perhaps I’d be interested in this other item.  The other item they showed me was a photo if a naked women with very large…

Anyway, now I’m stuck with this naked women coming up on my recently viewed items.  On top of that, when I go to other sights like Facebook or YouTube, the advertisements feature pictures of naked women.  

My lady friend uses my computer.  My 87 year old mother was visiting today and my lady friend was showing her cooking recipes on the computer which is how I found out about the adverts on other sites.  Now they both think I’m spending all my time looking at naked women online.  I suppose I could just go and look at eBay listing of rusty old tools and then I’d see ads for old saws and hammers on the other sites, instead of naked women, but the damage is done.  My old mum went running from the house in tears, screaming “Help me lord I’ve raised a pervert.”  My lady friend – now ex-lady friend – has already pack and moved out.

No questions; I’m just annoyed.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Sorry to hear your trouble.

This Ebay trend is annoying. Once I bought a John Elton dvd and checked the price on Ebay and for more than one year my homepage on Ebay was flooded with Elton CDs and dvds.

Now we can hardly access the completed listings. Most of the time I am redirected to an ongoing listing. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

This is the latest annoying lack of service from eBay. If you go to click on a sold auction almost always you can not see that auction. So that one form of research has been taken away from us and I am unsure what if anything was gained. Who or what is eBay attempting to protect?

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Nothing and nobody.
eBay wants to sell you something.
They don't want you to sell things.

It's annoying to have to select sold listings from the filters and then click through three screens to see the original listing if you want to find out something more about why this item sold for that amount of money of if they left money on the table.

But I get it.

Just about everything I sell has dedicated sites: comic books, RPG games, books, records, CD's, pottery . . .

When I get going I will have an ABE window, a second eBay window open to search, a window to ViaLibris and ISFDB or some other speciality site plus an open window to use for more generic (less value related) research.

It doesn't get too cumbersome with high speed connections.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply