cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Havana Cuba

My oldest son, aka Swifty, is planning a trip to Havana. Does anyone have any book recommendations? He is interested in history, culture, architecture, or in other words, the whole shebang.

Has anyone been to Havana since the US opened the locked door? If so, any recommendations on what to see. do, etc.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Havana Cuba

@figtree3 - Since you said you love the stories about my sons, here is an update on the world traveler son. He did go to Australia. While there he met up with the son and daughter of good friends of ours. They were there for a wedding of a Swedish cousin. In Aug, the NYC son went and stayed a week with his SF brother where he was able to visit the CA office. He returned to CA, but to LA at the beginning of Sept. He then went for a long weekend to Barbados and two weekends ago he was in Stockholm for a long weekend. He said he would like to return to Stockholm again. I think he looks up cheap tickets and jumps on the plane! He recently told me that he has been to 47 states, 21 countries, and 1 terrority. This is the kid who when he was 5 or 6 asked for a subscription to National Geographic and not the children's version!

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Havana Cuba

Thanks for the update, @lludwig -- Sounds like both sons laid the groundwork for being world travelers long ago!

I appreciate the update. Sorry that it took a few days to reply. 

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 17 of 24
latest reply

Havana Cuba

@figtree3 - No problem re: time to reply.  Not as busy around here as it once was.

As a librarian, you may find it amusing to know that when my eldest asked for the National Geo subscription we were at the public library. The library's copy is what sparked his request. Later he won 1st place in the middle school competition of 600+ kids! The funniest thing to me is this former 'picky eater' eats a lot of strange things on his worldwide travels.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

Havana Cuba

Saw this thread pop up and typed this response before I realized it was over a year old and the conversation has now shifted to Australia! I'll have to be more cautious. I'm going to post what I was going to post just to feel better about my time. At least the thread is active.

Is your son still contemplating Cuba? I hope he still goes, despite some things that look initially like roadblocks. When my 4 year old gets a little older, I'll be going myself (not with the kiddo just yet). A travel ban is a miserable thing to do to your own citizens when there is little, if any, safety threat compared to other acceptable destinations. So here was what I did say before I realized I caught myself in a time warp:

I'm at a loss for books that would aid in providing destination goals. I was always a fan of the "Let's Go" series from Harvard students when it came to travel guides (I know they are designed for backpacking students but they really were the best thing out there for general use as well). Besides the fact that the series has gone rather defunct, I doubt those students ever compiled a guide to Cuba.

As for general literature, Graham Greene's "Our Man in Havana" would make for a fun pre-trip read! Or for a more culturally relevant read, Cristina Garcia's "Dreaming in Cuban" is fantastic!

My advice is always the same for any country. Hang out with the locals!

Sure, every city has a "must see" museum along with some building or structure of historical import. There's also always something very tall to climb, be it a church steeple or a mountain, for the best view. These are nice things to do and the excercise is always a plus (I'm recalling a very amusing scene from the film "In Bruges" if anyone has seen it).

For true cultural immersion, nothing tops making friends at the local dive bar. Sip a Cuba Libre and have a chat regarding whatever the locals conjure up when pretense is swept aside. Take in the sounds of a neighborhood band. Grab some street foods! Just wander and wonder as the many small cultural differences sink in.

See the sites that make you think and feel, that truely connect you to a time and place. Don't be overly concerned with schedules and destinations. It's the sum total of all the magical moments of a trip that make it memorable.

Dreaming of my former travels, I rarely conjure up The Louvre or the Loch Ness tour. I do, however, remember the conversation in the local pub with the Scottish fisherman who had me **bleep** near convinced that "Nessie" is real (Who knows though. Those Scots love to spin a good yarn or "wind you up" as they would say). I also recall, quite vividly, the temperature of that lake when I leaped in during midwinter, but I'll chalk that up to the whims of youth.

I wish your travel prone son happy adventures wherever he lands. And I wish you a tome of amusing tales when he returns!

Ryan

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

Havana Cuba

Hi Ryan, I enjoy reading your posts. btw my nephew's name is Ryan.

In the time from the OP, my son has traveled to many places and has tales of both locals and others. Said the people in Stockholm are very friendly and when he was in the Bahamas, he met members of a British family (captains of industry/family forture) with whom he had dinner. They took him out on the yacht which was part of the penthouse package!

Kathleen

Message 20 of 24
latest reply

Havana Cuba

@figtree3 - Thought you might like an update on Swifty's travels. In Nov. he went to Maui where he met up with a young lady from New Zealand who he had met in Australia via some app. So that now crosses Hawaii off the list. 48 down and only 2 to go (Alaska & Arkansas). I would not be surprised if he makes it to Alaska before Arkansas!

To recap his travels this year:
Trips taken: 10
Other countries visited: 4
States visited: 6
Miles flown: 75,000

On Wed, he leaves for Buenos Aires, Argentina. His first trip to South America. He is planning on a side trip to the Iguazu Falls. My other half said about the falls,  "They make Niagara Falls look wimpy!" Eleanor Roosevelt was reportedly so impressed when she saw them that she purportedly said "Poor Niagara." Great pixs below.

Why Iguazu Falls in South America should be on your bucket list

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/iguazu-falls-bucket-list/index.html

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

Havana Cuba

Thanks for the update! He's quite the traveler... amazing! I hope that he sends you lots of photos.

----------
Message 22 of 24
latest reply

Havana Cuba

@figtree 3    & bookstore lovers - Last weekend my son went to El Ateneo Grand Splendid which  was named the "world's most beautiful bookstore" in 2019 by National Geographic.. He said that he had never seen as many bookstores as he did in Buenos Aires!

The bookstore is in a former theater, Teatro Gran Splendid, which opened in May 1919. The ecleticist building features ceiling frescoes painted by the Italian artist Nazareno Orlandi and caryatids sculpted by Troiano Troian.

Both NPR and National Geo had articles about it, but wiki has the most pixs. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Ateneo_Grand_Splendid

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Havana Cuba

Thank you! I saw some of the pictures from other articles. This looks great, and your son is very lucky to have seen it!

----------
Message 24 of 24
latest reply