cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A sad task

Excuse me, while I wear my heart on my sleeve. We are in the process of selling a dear friend's book collection who died unexpectedly this fall. Although other old friends have died in the past couple of years, his death hit us especially hard. He was a kind and gentle man who was part of the everyday fabric of our lives. We introduced him to book sales and he became by cookbook scout.

He was not only a book collector in specific genres but a collector of objects too and his book collection reflects those collections too. We brought home about 150 books and will be going back for more as well as other items to sell on behalf of the family. It is the least we can do -  easing the burden for his siblings and finding good homes for his books.

We still can't believe he is gone forever. With each book I list and enter his name as the source, it is a nail in my heart driving the point home.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

A sad task

Condolensces. We buried my father, step mother, mother in law and daughter in law within a 2 year period.

It's never easy.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

A sad task

I'm sorry for your loss.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

A sad task

I'm sorry to hear this... Sympathy, and condolences to you.

----------
Current avatar: Actress Myrna Loy.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

A sad task

A close family friend just buried his beautiful 2 year old daughter. Hardest thing I had to do going to the funeral. So sad. Hold your loved one's close because you never know when they will be gone...

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

A sad task

my regards...

One sale a day, tomorrow the entire Galaxy!
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

A sad task

Lludwig:  In my day job I try to avoid filing cases in the probate court.  It has been my experience very often that after a short time, the grieving heirs become more and more impatient as the realities of the legal process cause longer delays that seem reasonable.  One of the worst experiences was when I agreed to work for free.

Unless you have better luck at selling quick than I do, I hope you have a good experience with the folks you are doing a favor for.

Mike

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

A sad task

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been keeping my nose to grindstone with listing books. Thank you for the condolences.

@ taylor_memorial - My condolences to you. I went through a similar period when my 3 grandparents and both parents died within 6-7 years.

@northfloridasportscards - Tragic. I can not imagine anything more painful than losing a child.

@bugler1998 - Thanks for the heads up. The siblings are close and are glad to get some of the books moved out of house. Their brother was a was a bridge between the Amish and Mennonite community and the "English" community. At his memorial service were the Mennonite men in their white starched collars and black suits with the women in their caps.

I find in listing the books I am using tips that were given by others. I'll have to codify them and post on the Hint thread.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

A sad task

@bugler1998 - An update. All of the books have been listed. We gave the siblings their first check and they were pleased. We will be giving them another check this week.

Right now I've had some excitement in watching quilt auctions. Nothing like some auction action! Not only did he have a number of quilts, but next up will be his collections of art glass and paperweights.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply