cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did you see the new fvf for books ?

Hi-- I sell books among other things.  The Fall Update raised fvf for books to 12%.  There is no mention of any discount for top rated seller.  Do you have any more information or have you heard anything on this discount for books ? Thanks

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Did you see the new fvf for books ?

I would expect them to clarify it if they were not keeping the discount structure. There is no incentive to perform if they take it away.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Expecting "them" to clarify anything is expecting a whole lot. Although, if I recall correctly, "them" recently eliminated the discount for sellers  not offering free returns.   I'd be satisfied if ebay merely repaired the picture editor on the listing page, but I don't have my fingers crossed.  Incidently, I was recently watching CNBC and the channel had a listing of the top 10 online retailers by sales, and ebay isn't even included these days. 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

eBay can't compete with Amazon, Jet, WalMart and AliBaba, I don't know why they even try. Home Depot has taken their hardware business away.

The thing I've noticed recently is that the penny sellers on Amazon charge more there than they do here--for the same inventory. They must have raised their rates again.

Professor Booknoodle has moved to etsy--not sure that platform is worthwhile but if the buyers are moving we have to move with them.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for that info ... I'm on eBay nearly every day and wasn't even aware of the pending fee increase.

Afer reading this post, I looked it up and found this:

Media price increase

Starting September 15, 2018, the final value fees for Books, and DVDs & Movies categories will increase from 9.15% to 12% for Store subscribers and from 10% to 12% for non-Store sellers.

Starting September 15, 2018, the final value fees for the Music category will also increase from 9.15% to 12% for both Store subscribers and non-Store sellers, with the exception of the Records category, which will remain at 9.15% for Store subscribers and 10% for non-Store sellers.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

So no incentive for store owners. I wonder how many of us will give up our stores?

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

First that I have heard of the the new higher final value fees.  Are they going to continue  to charge fvf  on shipping? 

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I would expect so.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

In order to compensate equally for the increase in fees, list prices (or shipping, either way) will have to increase 15.84% (includes the FVF on increases to compensate and PayPal increases based on FV of the item as revised).

There remain only two advantages to the store: the more robust bulk editing features and the lower listing fees.

16% is significant. It should get interesting over the next month or so: increasing prices just before Christmas is going to have a major affect on eBay's market position in online marketing.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Ebay stock is near a 52 week low.  The overall market is near a 52 week high.  Ebay has to make a move soon or they will continue to underperform.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Silcone Valley in general is under significant pressure for questionable {or worse} business practices.

Twitter still has 600 active accounts disseminating official Russian propoganda aimed at disrupting our democracy. Google is actively disrupting our democratic norms of free speech. Facebook seems to spend every other week behind the 8 ball for something or another having to do with censureship. Little wonder eBay is suffering from issues as well.

They have been managed by people who don't understand the nature of the middle man that they are, and their competitors are coming on strong. Bonanza has developed incredibly powerful tools the last time I checked on them.

And then their's Amazon . . .  not sure what's been happening over there: they drove me out when they changed their shipping orientation and now prices are climbing higher.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply