cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collectible Childrens Books on eBay

As per cc's suggestion, a thread for relatively higher dollar children's books sold on eBay and the ensuing discussions.
Message 1 of 1,283
latest reply
1,282 REPLIES 1,282

Re: Collectible Childrens Books on eBay

Stan, I couldn't discuss the auction earlier (per eBay rules) as it was still in progress.

A Lindbergh kidnapping trial press badge from Maurice Sendak's collection sold at the same auction for $2,719.75.

Sendak also collected rare Mickey Mouse collectibles and had some outstanding examples in his collection, including a rare 1930 Mickey Mouse tin toy which sold for $13,890.65.

A rather telling commentary about our present economy is that this same tin toy was purchased at auction by Maurice Sendak years earlier for $40,000. 

Message 1096 of 1,283
latest reply

Thanks for sharing the info Michele.

I know next to nothing about the collectible toy market.

Message 1097 of 1,283
latest reply

A nice first edition copy of Raold Dahl's Fantastic Mr. Fox sold recently on eBay for $375.

Item 121239508811 sold for $375 on Apr. 3, 2014

ROALD DAHL Fantastic Mr. Fox FIRST EDITION

Item Description:

"ROALD DAHL

"Fantastic Mr. Fox"

FIRST EDITION

Westminister, Maryland, U.S.A.: Alfred a Knopf Inc, 1970. Near fine in a very good dust jacket. First Edition stated on the copyright page. Published by Alfred A. Knopf, New York, which precedes the U.K. first edition. Personal stamp on the front free endpage, as well as a small spot worn away, very slight foxing on covers. Book near fine. Dust jacket has original price of $3.95 printed on front flap; is very good with minor chipping present at the corners and at the spine."

Message 1098 of 1,283
latest reply

Two first edition copies of The Boxcar Children sold recently on eBay, for $668, with 40 bids, and for $305, with 3 bids.

Item 201060474038 sold for $668 on Apr. 1, 2014

The Box-Car Children by Warner FIRST EDITION 1924

Item Description:

"Book is in amazing condition.
One page is loose.
See pictures for the details.

Q:      Hello! Are all four picture pages in the book? Or are some missing? Thanks!     Mar-26-14
A:      All 4 picture pages are present in a book and are in a great condition. One of 4 pictures is loose as you can see on the photo above."

==========================================================

Item 111310161342 sold for $305 on Apr. 1, 2014

The Box-Car Children by Gertrude C. Warner 1st ed 1st printing VERY SCARCE 1924

Item Description:

"The Box-Car Children by Gertrude C. Warner 1st ed 1st printing VERY SCARCE 1924

This book is in great condition for its age! It is quite amazing!! The pages are beautiful, clean and bright. Only writing is on the inside of the back cover (initials) (see photo), NO stamping or missing pages. There are no odors. The title page is the only page that I can find that has a small rip at the bottom (see photo). The binding is secure, and intact except for two of the four illustrated pages which have come loose. There are some type of stains on the following pages (53, 54 & 61).  I do have photos of those if you would like them sent to you.  As You can see there is some water damage to the back hardcover with a bit of bubling but it was not soaked through to the interior portion of the back cover. The front cover is in good condition with good color. It almost all of the gilt (gold), which is rare for this book!

I know this is a sought after first edition with detailed story content, more than any of the other Box-Car Children books.

This is a very scarce book and is a 1st edition, 1st printing.  First Edition / First Printing per the statement provided by Rand McNally & Company in the Zempel's, "First Editions: A Guide to Identification", as well as Bill McBride's First Edition Identification Guide, and other resources. This book has, "RAND MCNALLY" as the ONLY publishing company on the title page, copyright page and spine. The publisher's logo is on the bottom of the copyright page, as issued. The publishers printing code is: 5MA-24 (The "A" means that this is a First Printing. The "24" means that it was printed in 1924). The copyright date of, 1924 is the ONLY copyright date in this book. All criteria is met, of which means that this book is in fact a First Edition / First Printing of, The Boxcar Children.

This vintage 1924 original, BOXCAR CHILDREN book is a true 1st edition / 1st printing. It is the very FIRST story of The Boxcar Children ever written by, Gertrude Chandler Warner. The absolute earliest edition, and version, of this title ever!! It is, by far, the best version of them ALL. Featuring the Real Begining, straight from the mind and imagination of the original author herself, Gertrude Chandler Warner. It is the ONLY edition that features her original beginning along with her original and detailed storyline that was written way back in the 1920's!!

Many people are unaware of this ORIGINAL EDITION of this wonderful title. It is extremely scarce!! The story line in the 1924 edition is far more detailed than the later 1942 and 1950 editions. This book is "PINNACLE" of the vintage Boxcar Children books!

In 1942, "The Boxcar Children" was issued under a new copyright, by and enitrely different publishing company, a different illustrator, and with a completely re-written story-line. Gertrude wanted to make the book easier, so that it would encourage the younger children to read and build their confidence. So the newly revised version (beginning in 1942) featured major changes, with many details from the original (1924) edition left out. The 1942 edition had a younger grade level of words used, some of the characters names and features were different, as well as many other differences that took effect with this drastic change of this story.

BOTH the 1924 copyright and the 1942 copyright are FIRST EDITIONS!! The 1924 edition is published by Rand McNally. The 1942 edition is published by Scott Foresman and Company. As for the 1950 edition, that is a second edition, (which was a slightly minor revision of the 1942 copyright)"

Message 1099 of 1,283
latest reply

A first edition copy of William Goldman's The Princess Bride sold recently on eBay for $875. For those with an interest, scrape the copyright image and save it; the first edition has 'B C D E' on the number line, no A. No telling if you might bump into a first edition masquarading as a second.

A copy sold a couple of years ago for $500. I don't think this is firm proof of rising prices, since eBay results are rarely repeatable due to inconsistent search results, diminishing buyers of collectible books, and other such extraneous variables.

Item 121114377628 sold for BIN of $875 on Aprl 2, 2014

THE PRINCESS BRIDE-Morgenstern's Classic Tale, William Goldman,1st/1st 1973 HCDJ

Item Description:

"THE PRINCESS BRIDE - S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Romance- The Good Parts Version by William Goldman, 1st edition/1st printing 1973 Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Inc.

This book is in very good condition with a very good- dust jacket. Without previous owner name. Book shows light foxing to top and long edge of page block,heel of spine lightly rounded and softened, pages faintly toned. Dust jacket in archival cover shows moderate edge-wear with a bit of loss to spine-ends, chipping to top corner tips, lightly faded to spine. Price intact, not remaindered."

Message 1100 of 1,283
latest reply

A copy of Pierre Probst's Caroline And Her Friends was bid up to $465 on eBay yet didn't meet the reserve. The sale was by an obvious Probst/Caroline enthusiast and I thought the BSB might find the information of interest.

Item 251476675222 was bid to $465 on Mar. 25, 2014

Caroline and Her Friends Pierre Probst, 1962 Golden Book Treasury NEAR PERFECT

Item Description:

"Hello and thanks for looking at this Private Sale (I am not a Book shop) of a *Very* rare near absolutely mint and un-restored condition copy of the enchanting children's classic Golden book Title (A Golden Treasury of) "Caroline and her Friends" by Pierre Probst, which is in completely original condition.  This copy has been very little opened if at all, and just perfectly kept - this was originally owned by the family of the Paul Hamlyn distributor in the United Kingdom during the 1960s.  This is frankly in amazing condition, especially since it is a 50+ year old children's book.  To confirm, this is the sought after compendium album version with 5 stories in one volume.

See Pictures and enquire/inquire if more information needed. 

Please also note that my wife (who grew up in the USA) and myself are Caroline / Probst enthusiasts and know how rare this book is - being honest it is the most perfect non-restored version we have ever seen of this wonderful and sought after, appreciating, book - we would love it to go to a good home. As per final picture, the description *is* accurate as we do have others to compare it to. 

This is the 1963 version of the book comprising 5 stories:

"A Camping Holiday" (at Blue Lake Camp) [first known as "Caroline at Camp"]
            "The Journey to the North Pole"
            "A Trip Round Europe"
            "At the Ranch" (Featuring Sam the Moustache ! ) [first known as "Caroline at the Ranch"]
            "Winter Sports
[first known as "Off to the Mountains"]

As per item condition description, this is *not* restored, it has just been just pretty much perfectly kept.  The Cover is particularly bright and un-faded, almost as new, and the interior is completely un-written on, with no owner's stamps or stickers, and apparently never has had, no glue marks etc and the pages are not torn cracked or damaged - there is to be honest, no evidence visible of having been turned and clearly the book has probably never been opened fully flat - as I was photographing it the pages curved perfectly from the binding like a brand new book

- Note now that I see them on screen the photographs I took are not very bright - sorry - the pages are *not* faded at all, they are in great original condition, if needed I can send better photos: I do like to be completely honest and open tough, so happy to declare that the binding is a little faded on the spine, but in near perfect condition, and there is very light bumping on top front corner and one small scratch on back cover, also a little bumping on bottom corner (pics available) - some of you will know that this is a cover that is extremely prone to damage (as are the soft, thick interior pages) so to be in this condition is extremely rare. See pictures and enquire/inquire if you want to know more. 

In our collection we also have 2 copies of the 1961 Edition (Featuring the practically Baby Caroline) Featuring Stories "Caroline's Party" , "Caroline at Camp" [which is the original title for "A Camping Holiday"], "The trip to India", "The Rescue", "Spring Cleaning", and "Off to the Mountains" 
[which is the original title for "Winter Sports"].  One copy is complete if "very well read" condition but is believed to be a first edition - The astronomically rare "DarkCloth Cover" version, plus a "companion" version of the same book in the normal White cover "for spares" which has 20 or so pages missing: Between the two we plan to re-bind into one good copy ! 

I also have a Little Golden book of Probst's "Rusty Goes to School" which is lovely, as well as *very* rare, and is complete with the name and address (?) of the former owner, in authentic *pink* felt pen... She was one "Marinka Ryan" formely of BC Canada - I wonder if anyone knows her and if she would like it back ?  And, a very rare 1961 single story copy of "Caroline at the Ranch" which is lovely as it has Rusty on the cover contrary to the re-painting of the same scene for the 1963 Golden Treasury version...   "

Message 1101 of 1,283
latest reply

Four Russian children's books sold recently on eBay for $2550, $531, $512, and $335. I know nothing about Russian children's books however thought the BSB might find these of interest. 

Active auction interest, I wonder if bought by a collector or for resale?

========================================================

Item 360912909514 sold for $2,550 on Apr. 27, 2014

Book Description:

1933.Ласточка.THE SWALLOW.Russian Children's Magazine Published in HARBIN.24 #'s

"The Swallow, published in Harbin, Manchuria (CHINA) by the large White Russian community. This volume is 8 by 10 inches,  and contains 24 sixteen page (plus covers) issues of the children's magazine The Swallow.

"Ласточка .Published by Zarya, Harbin since 15th October, 1926 till 1945. The Swallow was unrivalled in its availability, as it was launched on 15th October, 1926, and existed till 1945. Almost for two decades, it was sharing challenges hardships Russian refugees faced with and raised more than one generation of Russian refugees’ children in China as well as in Japan, Germany, France, Turkey and the USA. The key of the Swallow success was that has a clear understanding that the vision of the world, morals and values form in the childhood. The magazine continued traditions of classical journalism for children, focused on the education of their sentiments and intellect. — By Ye.Babkin, Ph.D. (Pacific National University)"

I have 6 bound volumes of this publication and all contain 24 issues, so it is save to say that was the annual production

Bound in cloth, mild soiling,a few old defunct institution stamps, very slightly trimmed at the top, otherwise complete year."

Item 360913015492 sold for $531 on Apr. 27, 2014

Book Description:

1922.Russian Children's Book.Roots Chukovsky.THE CROCODILE.Illustrated крокодила

"This volume is 9 1/2 by 12 1/2 inches, 54 pages (plus covers), and a very early printing of a famous poem first printed in 1919, and in unusually nice condition! Quite RARE, from what I can tell."

Item 360912940133 sold for $512 on Apr. 27, 2014

Book Description:

1917 (?)-1938..Russian Children's Books bound in plain cloth. 9 ITEMS. Bi-planes

"All the Russian language items I will be listing over the next few sessions came from the estate of a Harbin born Russian woman's estate in San Francisco. Most are children's books from 1919 -1941, but this one contains an incomplete fascinating item picturing bi-planes, which might be from 1917...not quite sure, but seems to be earlier than the other items.

This volume is 8 by 10 inches, and is 1 inch thick, with 9 different items bound in, including an edition of Crocodile (крокодил), a famous Russian story.

Bound in cloth, mild soiling,a few old defunct institution stamps,some incomplete, various other defects, a curious mishmash; but with many rare and fascinating pieces."

Item 251510661811 sold for $335 on Apr. 27, 2014

Book Description:

1919-1933..Russian Children's Books and Magazines bound in plain cloth.16 ITEMS

"All the Russian language items I will be listing over the next few sessions came from the estate of a Harbin born Russian woman's estate in San Francisco.

Most are children's books from 1919 -1941, but this one contains both magazines and books

This volume is 8 by 10 inches, and is 1 3/4 inches thick, with 15 different items bound in, some, dated, a few incomplete, but all fascinating!

Bound in cloth, mild soiling,a few old defunct institution stamps, one item repeated with crayon scribbling, some incomplete, various other defects, a curious mishmash; but with many rare and fascinating pieces"

Message 1102 of 1,283
latest reply

This Raphael Tuck chromolithographic book went for a surprising $950, with a sizable 770 views.

Item 330679148810 sold for $950 on May 8, 2014

scarce 1892 Frances & William Brundage Story Columbus Raphael Tuck Chromolithos

Item Description:

"E. Nesbit,(poem),Will & Frances Brundage,J. Pauline Sunter,(illustrated),cover title..THE STORY OF COLUMBUS       title page..THE VOYAGE OF COLUMBUS  DISCOVERY OF AMERICA,[1892],Raphael Tuck & Sons,London,Paris,New York.....Souvenir of the 400th Anniversary

Gold cloth w/stamped multicolor illustration to front board,folio,14" x 17 3/4",28 leaves printed one side only,illustrated in color and monotone,(full page chromolithographs and lithographs),beautiful chromolithographed title page.

In good condition,front decorative endpaper lacking,boards disbound from textblock,all leaves now loose,front blank flyleaf in poor condition w/prev owner name/inscription,foredges of many leaves have wear,finger smudges......exterior boards have colr mottling,edge wear,spine somewhat weak.

Generally all the leaves are in good condition with above noted handling wear."

Message 1103 of 1,283
latest reply

I wonder how this thread will carry on?

Message 1104 of 1,283
latest reply

@picture*books wrote:

I wonder how this thread will carry on?

Archived, yes, but you won't be able to post to it.  There's a discussion about you at bookthink, Stan - have a look, willya?

Message 1105 of 1,283
latest reply

This thread has been monumental over the years. Stan, your dedication to books is simply remarkable and I just wanted to truly thank you for all your years of hard work and dedication here on the BSB. 

You can't see me right now, but I am about to stand at my desk and give you a rousing standing round of applause....

Well done old sport!!!!

Message 1106 of 1,283
latest reply

###Still Applauding!!##

Message 1107 of 1,283
latest reply

A first edition Green Eggs and Ham sold last week on eBay for $1995. This is the true first issue with the "50 Word Vocabulary" stickered onto the front DJ, rather than printed as in later issues. Also 'Distributed By' rather than 'Division Of' Random House, due to the acquisition of Beginner Books later in 1960.

Item 221419705592 sold for $1995 on Apr. 28, 2014 

Item Description:

GREEN EGGS AND HAM Seuss 1ST EDITION 1ST PRINT 1st STATE 1960 DJ RARE NO RESERVE

STICKER "50 Word vocabulary" 195 price B16 dj and book

"THERE IS NO RESERVE on this extremely rare first edition, first printing, first state of perhaps the most popular Dr. Seuss (Theodor Geisel) book - along with The Cat in the Hat (please see other my other auctions). A lovely story beautifully illustrated. Dr. Seuss is probably the most well-known children's author in the world. In very good overall condition, and meeting criteria for a first printing, first state:

Random House 1960; "50 Word Vocabulary" is properly affixed sticker on the upper right of dust jacket (not "reattached," like some others that have come up for sale); on later editions it’s printed on the jacket. States Beginner Books "distributed by" Random House, not a "division of." Dust jacket has proper 195/195 price on inside front flap, B-16 code on the spine of the dust jacket and on spine of boards.

Conduct a search of online stores and you will not find a similar 1st printing in a similar condition, with sticker in fine form, for less than $4,500. NO RESERVE and starting at $1995, less than half the retail price."

Message 1108 of 1,283
latest reply

A first edition copy of Robert McCloskey's Homer Price sold this week for $1,200. The bookseller is an ABAA children's book specialist.

Item 120878582236 sold for $1200 on Jun. 2, 2014

ROBERT MCCLOSKEY Homer Price 1st Edition in DJ

Item Description:

"FIRST EDITION of ROBERT MCCLOSKEY's "Homer Price" Published in New York by Viking in 1943. First Edition indicated on copyright page with words "First Published by Viking Press in 1943." Book fine. DJ near fine. DJ price reads $2.00. Book comes in specially made cloth slipcase."

Message 1109 of 1,283
latest reply

When We Were Very Young 1st edition *no IX* aa Milne 1924 winnie the pooh origDJ

Sold for $3000.00  on  8-19-14

eBay item number:

When We Were Very Young

1st edition

1924, Methuen

1st issue with contents page unnumbered and blank endpapers. 
*Only very few of these were printed*

Jacket is first issue as well, with no mention of edition on second inside flap. Correct price of 7/6 on spine.

Condition: Very good in very good jacket. Hinged and binding tight. Minimal age toning, though with the expected darkening of the endpapers. Jacket  complete with only minimal chipping to spine ends. Minor repair with archival materials on the verso (underside) of dj along the spine fold connecting with the first panel [pictured].
Message 1110 of 1,283
latest reply